GTP_MuNkY's wheel bearing from hell thread... Video added pg 3

CSI_MuNkY

What a fucking joke!

So I decided to go with non ebay brand bearings. Instead I went to a local auto parts store and placed my order. The guy behind the counter assured me I was getting quality bearings, he had them on his car for over 2 years problem free, "sweet deal" I thought.... $99 each... and so began my fiasco...

First bearings I got home they didn't feel right. Sure enough I tried to put them on my spare cross laces and they were too small... so I took them back and ordered the right ones. (first pair were actually Grand AM bearings)

Second bearings I got were the right bolt pattern and I left it at that... then today I get under the car and look at the ones on the car and the ones in my box, no ABS sensor...damn it! So I call and talk to a new guy, I gave him the part number and his exact words were "Oh, thats Chinese garbage, you must be selling the car", I was like, "uhhh no"

So I go in and they had the GOOD bearings in stock, they are the right size, they have an ABS sensor, and they cost me an extra $178 (after -$30 each because he felt bad for me getting jerked around)

Final bearings to be on the car by the end of the weekend are SKF bearings, good old made in America. They flat out LOOK like a better quality bearing.

Back to work I go....

Jamie

Yeah, that's why I make sure people understand that Chinese garbage should never be unloaded off the boat...

And why I badger folks to LOOK AT THE BOX and to ASK QUESTIONS about where it's made.

We should embargo Communist Chinese and Communist Vietnamese merchandise as we embargoed Communist Cuban merchandise for so many years.

And why I badger folks to LOOK AT THE BOX and to ASK QUESTIONS about where it's made.

I did both... the box didn't say where it was made and when I asked the guy at the store he said "I don't know, but I have had them on my car for 2 years without a problem". The guy I dealt with today assured me that the new bearings were made in the USA.

Unfortunately I didn't get anything done today... Lets just say inadequate tooling. I hate living in an apartment! I'm going to plan a trip to my parents to get it all done in about 2 weeks. Just gotta hope that the bearing doesn't give out completely between now and then. My father says the car will get a lot worse before it completely fails on me.

Jamie

On a slightly different note, is there anything else that could be causing my car to sound like a military humvee? There isn't much, if any, play in either of the rear bearings. However I am getting about 1/8" to 1/4" play when I wiggle the wheel, from under the car I can see a bit of play in the bushing for the rearward lateral link at the spindle.

Jamie

On a slightly different note, is there anything else that could be causing my car to sound like a military humvee? There isn't much, if any, play in either of the rear bearings. However I am getting about 1/8" to 1/4" play when I wiggle the wheel, from under the car I can see a bit of play in the bushing for the rearward lateral link at the spindle.

Jamie

Bearings can be rough/noisy without having excessive play (at least for awhile.)

I would expect that having that much play when you wiggle the wheel CAN'T be a good thing. Something has worn out; perhaps it's just the rubber bushings.

Are you sure the noise is coming from the rear?

Positive the noise is coming from the rear...

ihateallmustangs was just here looking at it with me. The bushing on the lateral link definitely has play in it. I have e-mailed Held about the play to see what Lee has to say about it.

On top of that, something we noted was that the wheel on the passenger side spins freely, while the driver side wheel is very stiff, and the brakes do not scrape when you turn the wheel. The drivers side is where we are seeing the play in the wheel as well.

When the weight of the car is shifted to the drivers side the noise fades. For example taking an on/off ramp at speed.

Another thought we have is a bad tire, so tomorrow I'm going to swap out the rear tires for a different set I have in the spare room and see what that does to the noise... We are thinking that the play in the lateral link could be causing uneven tire wear or causing the wheel to sit incorrectly causing bearing failure.

Jamie

Wheel bearings will become "loose" as they wear. I would suspect that your RR bearing is failing, hence the noise decreasing as load is removed from it.

The lateral link bushing explains your play on the LR.

So I put the other tires on the car, sound changed but is still there. So that rules out tires as a problem....

I removed and re torqued the lateral links, again the sound got quieter, but is still there. The drivers side rearward lateral link was loose, when I say loose I don't mean it needed to be torqued... I literally removed that bolt with my fingers, no tools.

At the end of the day I still have a noise, brakes are functioning fine, but could probably use new pads and rotors in the coming months. (sliders are NOT seized)

So its gotta be a bearing.... right?

Jamie

If it was me, I'd yank the wheels, yank the calipers, and put a stethoscope (a wood dowel or screwdriver works in a pinch) on the spindle or strut while spinning the hubs.

The noisy one is the one you replace.

Jamie, you need to work out so you can tighten bolts better. :lol:

Funny you say that, cause my brother put together the drivers side while I did the passenger side.. MY side was fine! HA!

I might just try that screw driver trick... not tonight though, sooo tired and sore... fucking job...

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, found the problem!! Drivers side (you were right Matt) rear wheel bearing is a mess!!

I'm at my parents for the weekend, where I have access to all the tools I could ever need for working on a car. I got it all taken apart and then spun the hub. It was so bad, I had to make a video to show everyone...

th_Badbearing.jpg

The drivers side is now done. I dunno why I have such bad luck when taking this car apart! I rounded the head on one of the bolts that hold the hub in place. That made for a quick trip to Canadian Tire for a new bolt.

I've started the passenger side. Its not quite as bad, but its getting there. I just can't get the damn rotor off the hub! I have heated it up, sprayed penetrating oil on it, wailed on the hub with a BFH, and repeat. It is currently soaking with the penetrating lube on there. Hopefully by morning it has worked its magic and I can get it off there. I had to pack it up for the night so mother could sleep. (garage is right under her bedroom)

The struts I was planning to do at the same time have to wait till I get my order from Summit Racing. I didn't order the threaded tubes in time, so I will have to wait on the struts. But at least now my car won't sound like a Military Hummer going down the highway!!

Jamie

been there, done that. Even after the heat and penetrating lube were applied, still not budging.

I also don't want to hit the back of the rotor too hard. I don't want to warp the damn thing cause it does have to go back on the car.

Jamie

buy a new rotor for $20.

and Im surprised that LR wheel didnt fall right off on your way out there. Fuck it was loud!!

I got the rotor off, apparently the overnight treatment of penetrating lube did the trick. I didn't want to replcae the rotors because I intend on doing pads and rotors a couple months from now, and I plan to use those new ones crappy tire carries.

New wheel bearings are in! I can hear myself think now!!!

Jamie

LoL, I actually compared it to driving a truck with 32" mud tires...

Just glad its all over! Next up, brakes, rear struts and tires.

Jamie