GTP_MuNkY's wheel bearing from hell thread... Video added pg 3

CSI_MuNkY

I'm pretty sure I need new hubs on the rear of the GP. With the winter tires off there is still a great deal of noise coming from the back end, and it seems to be worse than it was before winter. I'm going to check them next time we get some decent enough weather to be working on the car after work.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience buying these ones off e-bay...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/2-WHEEL-HUB-Regal-Grand-Prix-Cutlass-Supreme-88-96_W0QQitemZ140218780173QQihZ004QQcategoryZ33744QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Are they any good?

Jamie

I'm going to look into it tomorrow, But Matt was saying that new, around here anyways, they go for $140 EACH new, that auction is for a set of 2....

Jamie

I just did one of mine. 99.95 at autozone. It is pretty easy to do. Take off the wheel, take the caliper off. take of the rotor and dust cover. take the 4 bolts off the hub. i had to put my wheel back on to break it loose.

you get what you pay for..

I bought two aftermarket front hubs on ebay and one was bad within a week. I mean, really bad. Tire had a good 1/4" of play and when I took the hub off the strut tower/axle shaft, the stud half literally fell out.

Crap from Autozone can't be a hole lot better, but it can't be that bad... plus it's a lot easier to deal with warrenty issues with an actual store.

Just remember in the great white north, car parts seem to cost what they do in the states +50%. So as far as I can tell our prices don't mean all that much there.

I'm going to look into it tomorrow, But Matt was saying that new, around here anyways, they go for $140 EACH new, that auction is for a set of 2....

Jamie

Well thats cheaper than around here. The cheapest rear hub we sell at work is $189. each

So I found more on ebay, not offered as a set, however it states that they are not side specific? is that True? They are a little bit more @ $89US each + shipping, however rather than a 1 year warranty, they offer a life time warranty.

Also, just to be sure would bad rear wheel bearings sound like I'm driving with mud bog tires on there?

Jamie

So I found more on ebay, not offered as a set, however it states that they are not side specific? is that True? They are a little bit more @ $89US each + shipping, however rather than a 1 year warranty, they offer a life time warranty.

Also, just to be sure would bad rear wheel bearings sound like I'm driving with mud bog tires on there?

Jamie

Yep thats the bearing.

If you decide to save money by buying cheap-ass Communist Chinese bearings--don't come whining that they didn't last very long.

Or that failure of those bearings lead to a collision.

You buy cheap-junk bearings--you'll get what you pay for. If you're lucky.

If you decide to save money by buying cheap-ass Communist Chinese bearings--don't come whining that they didn't last very long.

Or that failure of those bearings lead to a collision.

You buy cheap-junk bearings--you'll get what you pay for. If you're lucky.

WTF, I was asking if they were any good, not saying I was buying cheap Chinese garbage

Jamie

Honestly, I would go to a junkyard, and get a set off a car there. I can get both sides for 20 bucks locally. And I trust OEM better than aftermarket. And with a savings of 120 bucks, I can take my wife out to a real nice dinner, or fill up my tank 3 times. The set that is on the TGP came off a Cutlass Supreme Vert with 87k. Little rust, and no bearing play.

Crap, your in Canada, arent you??

Well AutoZone sells them, Rockauto.com should as well as several other online parts sites.

Yeah, good ole Canada, where we get nothing, lol. I'll make some phone calls tomorrow and see what I can find, maybe the local speedshop or something (thats where I will end up having to get my KYBs I think)

Thanks!

Jamie