• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stevo

• jeremy

• ismellrealbad

• 99RegalGS

I knew that there was something up with my steam cleaned engine. After every 10+ minute drive with mine ... there is smoke coming off the front exhaust manifold. The whole front of the car inside the engine bay is wet with oil now and getting worse. I've pretty much taken out everything in it thats important to me because I think it's getting near time for the car to go up. I mistook oil residue for rust protectant.

GM's taking their good ole' fuckin time with this.

I knew that there was something up with my steam cleaned engine. After every 10+ minute drive with mine ... there is smoke coming off the front exhaust manifold. The whole front of the car inside the engine bay is wet with oil now and getting worse. I've pretty much taken out everything in it thats important to me because I think it's getting near time for the car to go up. I mistook oil residue for rust protectant.

GM's taking their good ole' fuckin time with this.

I'd just call the dealer, give them your VIN to see if you can bring your's in yet....more then likely you can

i dont understand. the rear ones leak as much as the front ones do. why only replace the front? cheapness?

the fronts are the ones causing the fires :lol:

I'm guessing that the oil doesn't hit the rear exhaust manifold the same as the front ones.

Also ... if I bring mine in early. Should I be expecting the revised gasket or are they going to phone it in with the original gasket and I am gonna see this happen again? I have the prequel GM recall letter but no official recall letter. I'm gonna spray down the front with brake cleaner and then degreaser to ee how bad the leak really is.

It IS interesting that L67's are in post 2003 vehicles but that the same engines in latter vehicles are not subject to the recall. Is it logical that the revised gasket is the one being used on the older L67's. So ... can I request that this gasket be installed?

Nothing worse than having a job done twice ... free or not.

Got through today. It's going in on the 28th because parts are coming from the states. Bottom line is ... the engine went from spotless to a pig in about a few months from oil leaking (I suspected the rustproofing for this). Wow.

I put 16000km's on it in very little time.

just an FYI - Schucks has a Felpro grommet set for $11.

Where???

i think schucks is also known as kragen, but either way you can get them from partsamerica.com, part # ES72833.

got mine today, they were only a day out from my local store. these grommets also fit the 3.3, 4.1, 4.5, and 4.9 GM engines.

• 6 months later...

Well... Yes I am bringing up an old thread because I just found out that a certain valve cover is not only leaking again ... but enough to make my LOW OIL light come on.

Good times.

I called the dealership that did it and told them wtf was going on. They said bring it in on Tuesday morning. I ain't paying for them to either look at it or redo the recall.

What a fuckin hassle.

Well... Yes I am bringing up an old thread because I just found out that a certain valve cover is not only leaking again ... but enough to make my LOW OIL light come on.

Good times.

I called the dealership that did it and told them wtf was going on. They said bring it in on Tuesday morning. I ain't paying for them to either look at it or redo the recall.

What a fuckin hassle.

that sucks :evil: sorry to hear that they didn't fix it right the first time

I just recently got mine fixed too. I got the valve cover done. What's the problem with these "grommets"? I didnt read through all the pages, but if it is a cause as well, I'd like to get that changed too.

EDIT.

Ok, after reading all 8 pages, I found the recall does cover new spark plug wire channel with new retainers. Are these the grommets everyone is talking about?

I saw a white GP at my local yard today and it was the first one i have seen in about a year there. It was so bad i couldnt even tell what anything was under the hood, nor could i stand the smell even inside the car

I wonder if a dealer would just give me a new gasket I can put on myself? My gaskets are new anyways, but it couldn't hurt to have a new one laying around, and I really don't want a dealer looking under my hood.

I wonder if a dealer would just give me a new gasket I can put on myself? My gaskets are new anyways, but it couldn't hurt to have a new one laying around, and I really don't want a dealer looking under my hood.

highly doubtful

I was under the impression the dealer would give you a gasket if you wanted to the job yourself. I swore my buddy got one, I could be wrong though.

STEVO, how the fuck is it leaking enough to put your oil light on?

Update:

I just got a call from the dealer. Despite the fact that oil is all around my injectors and around the head (indicates a leaking valve cover). I was told by the dealer that the LOWER INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET IS LEAKING BOTH COOLANT AND OIL!!!!!.

How the fuck can a Lower Intake Manifold Gasket leak oil UP around the fuel rail????? How can a LIM leak oil up onto the valve cover???? How can a LIM leak oil up around the top of the head????

Someone who knows about L67's really needs to fill me in on this big time because I am getting told this is gonna cost me $700 to fix and I am obviously not happy.

I would just do the job yourself. Valve covers shouldn't take you more than 4 hours. I highly doubt it really is the LIM gasket, but even if it is, that shouldn't take you that long to fix either. I can do it in about 6 hours if I focus.

I would just do the job yourself. Valve covers shouldn't take you more than 4 hours. I highly doubt it really is the LIM gasket, but even if it is, that shouldn't take you that long to fix either. I can do it in about 6 hours if I focus.

It's 'doable' only if I had a garage to do this in and all of my tools. I don't have either and winter is a bitch to get anything done. I'm checking online and I see a procedure about a revised LIM gasket and the proper installation with bolt tightening sequence.

Fuck me. I can't afford this.

It's 'doable' only if I had a garage to do this in and all of my tools. I don't have either and winter is a bitch to get anything done. I'm checking online and I see a procedure about a revised LIM gasket and the proper installation with bolt tightening sequence.

Fuck me. I can't afford this.

haha, drive down to IL and we can do it on your car on a Saturday. I have all the tools you'd need.

I need to know if this is just some scheme that the dealership is trying to recoup $$$ from the previous work and to redo their fuck up. What should I be looking for?

This is the same place I took my 94' GP with the 3100 to and they said the head gasket was gone and what I did was disconnect my heater core and refed it back into the engine because I assumed it was blocked.

I gave the car to my cousin and it's still driving around today, that was a year and a half ago.