• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stevo

• jeremy

• ismellrealbad

• 99RegalGS

How are there over 207,000 vehicles involved

and they only claim 265 fires to date?

I also like how the f.a.q. was just a cc&p of the article, broken down into smaller sections. You've gotta admire GM for their ingenuity. >.<

How are there over 207,000 vehicles involved

and they only claim 265 fires to date?

I also like how the f.a.q. was just a cc&p of the article, broken down into smaller sections. You've gotta admire GM for their ingenuity. >.<

I've seen 265+ charred L67s so far this year...Then again, I watch the salvage auctions.

I could have told GM that several years ago and saved them money on their investigation. :wink: I always figured it was oil igniting on the super fucking hot manifolds from the typical valve cover gasket leaks(which develop early on!).

Sweet jebus ... THATS what that burning smell is!!?!??!!!!

I also noticed a little bit of 'wetness' in the cover area too. Time to get this checked.... wait ... no time to get this checked. I outta here in 30mins.

*POOF!*

I have seen quite a few toasted L36 cars myself, i'd say the ratio is about 2 L67 cars for every 1 L36 fire, however lets remember they made a TON more L36s then they did L67s.

Funny how they only replace the front valve cover gasket..

Holy. Some of these are 11 years old and the problem has been going on since they were made. Everyone has known this has been an issue.. so why do they feel the need to issue a recall this late in the game? I'm glad they're recalling them, but what prodded them.

Holy. Some of these are 11 years old and the problem has been going on since they were made. Everyone has known this has been an issue.. so why do they feel the need to issue a recall this late in the game? I'm glad they're recalling them, but what prodded them.

When a problem is discovered, automakers try to prevent a recall from being issued for as long as possible, to save money and the simple fact that a recall makes a manufacturer look bad.

Then, most people don't bring in 10 year old cars for recall service, saving the automaker more money.

And, most 10 year old cars have had multiple owners, making it harder to track down the current owner and giving the automaker an excuse to send out less recall letters than recalled models registered.

I never received a recall notice for the cradle bolts for my '88 CS, nor recall notices for the rear brake caliper sliders for my '88 CS or '93 CS. None of these recall services had been performed on either car until I did them myself BTW.