Bonneville wheels: Surprise, Surprise!

Scottster

Scott,

When were you planning to get yours powder coated? I got a quote for $75-80 per wheel for cross laces. Mine are going in next week if you want to have a look at them and maybe use the same shop I am let me know.

Jamie

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottster

• CSI_MuNkY

• 5speedz34

• Addicted To Boost

FYI, stripping chrome is harder than stripping paint. I was looking at having a set of truck rims done and it was extra to remove the chrome. might want to ask about that.

And GM chrome sucks. always peels like that.

How the hell did the chrome go bad inside the wheel like that? I'm assuming they where never cleaned.

Looks great, but personally I wouldn't do them white. I really don't think they would look good.

The guy at the rim place said it was caused from salt...

Also, I'm assuming the look to be comparable with a Grand Am GT from the early ninties with the white fivespokes...only bigger and cooler becasue grand ams are for pansies.

car1.jpg

good luck matching the white of the car white the white those wheels will be....white is a bitch to match properly

The said individual also claimed they had an off-white colour. He called it Fedex white, and ever since I have been looking for Fedex trucks to park next too, but havn't found one yet.

I dunno, I guess it could work...

800px-FedEx_truck2C_Chicago2C_IL.jpg

Scott,

When were you planning to get yours powder coated? I got a quote for $75-80 per wheel for cross laces. Mine are going in next week if you want to have a look at them and maybe use the same shop I am let me know.

Jamie

No rush, I'll check out your results for sure.

FYI, stripping chrome is harder than stripping paint. I was looking at having a set of truck rims done and it was extra to remove the chrome. might want to ask about that.

Dude said 150 for everything, and he saw the wheel with his own eyes. I'm going to try and wiesel the machined lip out of him within the $150. I'll let that be the deciding factor as to whether I go with that or not.

I've never heard this or seen it. You want bad chrome buy a late-model Chrysler! Within 3-4 years the beads won't even seal!!

Yah I figured it was salt and lack of care.

I really wanted to do something like this a few years back, now when you mention the GA thing, I think it *could* look good but I'm still holding my breath. Like Jeremy said white is the hardest color to match.

OK, so this project took a little detour when I tested the rim on the car today. There ARE brake caliper clearance issues, so it looks like spacers will be necessary. I'm going to do a switcheroo tomorrow with the 1" bolt-on spacers I already have on the rear to see how that effects things. I only need about a 1/2", so that will probably be overkill, but there isn't enough meat on the threads to shim them out, and the 1" was the minumum thickness available for the bolt-on spacers.

%&*$

This pair is hot off the press...and back down into the basement for them until spring. Had them done for 150 a wheel. I'm cautiously happy...can't wait to see them on the car. But for now, I mocked the one up with the black lug caps and white center cap from the OE 16s. Instead of powercoating, they painted/cleared them with the car's paint code, so no issues with them mis-matching.

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

Looks great Scott! I should be getting my cross laces back within the next 2 days, I know your excitement!

So did the only powder coat the face? or is the rest powder coated in silver?

Jamie

Looks great Scott! I should be getting my cross laces back within the next 2 days, I know your excitement!

So did the only powder coat the face? or is the rest powder coated in silver?

Jamie

Sorry, I went back in and edited the initial post...they didn't think their white's would match, so they recommended painting them.

Oh and are you staying with the silver inish on yours, or are your going to surprise us with a colour change?

Ohhhh so they clear coated the entire wheel I assume?

Its too bad you aren't closer to K-W, the guy powder coating mine claims he can match nearly any color, hes got a huge catalog of colors.

Jamie

Ohhhh so they clear coated the entire wheel I assume?

Its too bad you aren't closer to K-W, the guy powder coating mine claims he can match nearly any color, hes got a huge catalog of colors.

Jamie

OK, I need to get my act together and stop backtracking to answer posts here...lol

He cleared only the face. The rest of the wheel is silver paint.

Are you staying with silver on yours?

Nope... Mine are being powder coated front back and inside in Mercedes Black (Fancy name for Mirrored Black) Then the lip is going to have a 3/8" red ring around it.

Inspiration for my project was posted on the photography forum I frequent on Jan 10th,

RigShotFinished.jpg

My powder coating (including sand blasting and removing all curb rash and other blemishes) is costing me $75 per wheel, the red rings are going to cost me about $5 per wheel... Although I am considering going with reflective red stripe @ $10 per wheel :willynilly:

Jamie

Yeah I think I caught them slow, he only had a couple projects on the go. He spent a good hour with me going over the process and warranties and all that. You can bet I will be telling people to go see him!

So what wheels are on your car now?

Jamie

Yeah I think I caught them slow, he only had a couple projects on the go. He spent a good hour with me going over the process and warranties and all that. You can bet I will be telling people to go see him!

So what wheels are on your car now?

Jamie

Just the stock wheels. They need alot of elbow grease after this winter...have to keep after them with the rubbing compound and polish to keep them "white"...but I don't care now...not worth my time now that i've got these new wheels comin up in the pipeline.

Thanks for the complements everyone. They are growing on me, as I look at them each day. I'm not as skeptical as that first day when I was like "oh my, what have I done?"

Washed up the car this morning with the nice weather and all, and thought I'd get a peek at things to come. I think I'm gonna go with the black pontiac caps in the middle, instead of the white ones.

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

That looks fantastic. Not sure about the black centercaps. In the 2 pics, it looks as thou the rear wheel has a chrome center cap, And I like the look...