Bonneville wheels: Surprise, Surprise!

Scottster

I've been considering this for quite awhile now, and still can't make up my mind...

Keep the trademark white sawblade wheels on the GP, which I still love to death...or go with bigger, newer and more modern chrome "sawblade-like" 17's from the 2002-05 Bonneville.

I did a little photoshop hacking to get an idea what the newer wheels might do to the car... and I still can't make up my mind. The original wheels give the car it's character...pure eighties spaceship design :lol: But the larger bonneville wheels have a more modern wheel/tire ratio, but are maybe making the car try to look like something it's just not.

What are your reactions?

...BTW these are embarrasing old pics not long after I bought the car...it's in much better shape now!!!

grandprix005.jpg

grandprix001.jpg

and an original PR photo (with the 15 inch wheels though)

dsash0003.jpg

Ok now this is an idea what the new wheels would look like...

grandprix006copy.jpg

grandprix004copy.jpg

dsash0003customcopy.jpg

I don't know I like the newer wheels, or if they look out of place? Maybe I'm just to used the white sawblades...what do you guys think?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottster

• CSI_MuNkY

• 5speedz34

• Addicted To Boost

Those would look really nice, but IIRC the offset is different.

Wouldn't they just be regular old GM FWD offset? The bonneville was based on the same platform as the 98+ Cadillac Seville...and I've seen other GM division wheels on those. I believe they are all interchangable, even with the W's.

I think they look good. But as Euro said check the offset and caliper clearance.

I checked tirerack.com and all the 17" wheels offered for a 1990 GP and a 2003 Bonneville have an identical offset of 40mm.

i think as long as you keep the car shiny the bonneville wheels will look really good.

Oh yeah, I sure would...I'm a fanatic about the paint!! You wouldn't know it right now with all the salt scum all over the car though. If I had my way, she'd be tucked away in a garage for the winter, pampered with a few coats of wax...but the reality is the car's just a way to get me to school and back :rolleyes:.

i think as long as you keep the car shiny the bonneville wheels will look really good.

Oh yeah, I sure would...I'm a fanatic about the paint!! You wouldn't know it right now with all the salt scum all over the car though. If I had my way, she'd be tucked away in a garage for the winter, pampered with a few coats of wax...but the reality is the car's just a way to get me to school and back :rolleyes:.

yea, im in the same way and in the same boat. i hate it being this dirty but im on co-op now so i have to drive to work everyday (nj roads around here are unbelievable) and at night i park on hoboken streets

I am still about 90% sure that the offset is different from the Bonne to the GP. Or maybe it's 2nd Gen only.

Either way...I can't say I'm huge about them. I guess if your going to get wheels for the car you might as well go aftermarket.

Hey Scott, are your saw blades 15 or 16? I think the sawblades look nicer on your car. If they are 15, goto 16?

/off topic, how are my AQ9 controls doing? lol. I was in windsor at X-mas time, but I didnt want to bug ya.

Hey Scott, are your saw blades 15 or 16? I think the sawblades look nicer on your car. If they are 15, goto 16?

/off topic, how are my AQ9 controls doing? lol. I was in windsor at X-mas time, but I didnt want to bug ya.

I'm lucky enough that they are the 16 inchers...I'd have them replaced ASAP if they were only 15"s. Funny thing is, I think the nice meaty 60 series sidewalls suit the car when they are all cleaned up and done with tire dressing.

As for the AQ9 controls, well I threw them out a few weeks ago......................... :lol:

J/K...I still got em. You've got my number eh? Just let me know when you want to pick them up. I may be heading up to Toronto for the autoshow in February, so I may be able to drop them of to you then.

I'm lucky enough that they are the 16 inchers...I'd have them replaced ASAP if they were only 15"s. Funny thing is, I think the nice meaty 60 series sidewalls suit the car when they are all cleaned up and done with tire dressing.

As for the AQ9 controls, well I threw them out a few weeks ago......................... :lol:

J/K...I still got em. You've got my number eh? Just let me know when you want to pick them up. I may be heading up to Toronto for the autoshow in February, so I may be able to drop them of to you then.

you live in Windsor and aren't going to the Detriot Autoshow??????????

you live in Windsor and aren't going to the Detriot Autoshow??????????

Oh yeah, I certainly am! I have gearhead cousins up in Pickering though, and they can't make it down here for the Detroit show, so I told them I'd come up there to the Toronto show for 'em.

OK, here's where it's at.....or maybe it's just late and I'm really tired! (no school on friday rocks!!!)

I'm about to have these donks custom milled from billet!!!... :burnout:

GPSEcopy.jpg

OK, here's where it's at.....or maybe it's just late and I'm really tired! (no school on friday rocks!!!)

I'm about to have these donks custom milled from billet!!!... :burnout:

GPSEcopy.jpg

:drool:

• 9 months later...

I'm just the king of bringing back old threads tonight...but this one's worth it.

I just won an Ebay auction for a set of these 17's I've been eyeing for so long. $360 for all four.

I would like to do them up just like the white sawblades, but that will take some time. They would have to be stripped of chrome, painted white, and then have the outer lip machined

...and by time, I mean time = money.

But for now I just won the auction...I was just screwing around and really didn't have my heart set on winning either. I can't complain for 90 bucks a wheel though. It'll work out to a little more with the Canadian exchange, but still a good deal.

The wheels are east of Cleaveland, OH, so I'll head down there one of these days to go and pick them up.

Just threw these images together to compare the wheels side-by-side. I flipped the 17 so the spokes were going in the same direction as the stock sawblade. Pretty similar in style IMO. I see a hint of "sawblade" twist to the spokes of the 17. I want to keep the stock 80's period look, and I'm not a fan of going all chrome bling-blinged out, so just consider them both white...

Wheelcomparission.jpg