Can you confirm something on 88-89 cars

timdjohn

recently i saw on eBay a fuel door listed for 1 gen grand Prixs. but it did not have the little tumb indent so you can pull it open, it was just flat. So searching on GMbuyparts.com it shows the door only for remote operation. So is this true, the first 2 years the fuel door was released by an indoor lever or button? If so why the hell would they change such a feature? I have been trying to figure out how to implement a remote release for over a year now. I think it is time to get muddy (rain in Seattle) and look for some 20 year old Grand Prix's :biggrin:

Hmm I thought so. I did not know that. any other nice stuff on the original years that were snuffed out early?

I want the remote door as I do get tired of using a locking gas cap. with the price of fuel these days fuel theft is on the rise.

Hmm I thought so. I did not know that. any other nice stuff on the original years that were snuffed out early?

I want the remote door as I do get tired of using a locking gas cap. with the price of fuel these days fuel theft is on the rise.

fwiw: the remote access gas doors aren't the greatest design on these cars...they do break quite a bit...

fwiw: the remote access gas doors aren't the greatest design on these cars...they do break quite a bit...

how come that does not surprise me :question:

There were quite a few cool features on the early cars that didn't see production for very long.

Some of the things earlier cars had were:

remote fuel fill door

black trim around the headlights, fogs and sidemarkers

different cloth pattern on the seats and door panels

different dash texture

had a US/Metric switch that let you view all your stats in either the american system or metric

had different light and wiper pods that had buttons you push in to turn features on, and an off button to turn them off, as well as rocker switches for the fog lights and windshield washing

Security lighting-turned your headlights on for an adjustable amount of time so you can see your front door at night

Another part of the security lighting- the key lock cylinders have little green rings that illuminate when you pull a door handle so you can find where to put your keys.

Digital Gauge Clusters- had digital speedometer, fuel gauge, odometer, and trip meter. The remaining gauges were analog.

Early cars had the 2.8 V6 instead of the 3.1 V6.

I'm sure there is more I'm not thinking of right now, but that is most of them. I for one love the early cars. I think they're pretty sweet and have many cool features that we are just starting to see now on todays cars.

Another part of the security lighting- the key lock cylinders have little green ringthat illuminate when you pull a door handle so you can find where to put your keys.

Cutlass Supremes and Luminas have it too.

black trim around the headlights, fogs and sidemarkers

I have been wondering why I see pics of the TGP and they seem to have a very black trim. but when I have seen like a sedan with the composite head lights there is just a gap.

I Loved The Lighted Key Hole On My Old Cutty.

lit key holes are great features unfortunatly the auto makers dont see a need for them compared to cost ot add them so it doesent get done

I'd have to look at a GP door handle to see if they can accept the lights...On the 1992, the latch mechanism is wired for the lights because to trip it, the door handle is pulled. On the 1994, they come on either when you pull the handle or unlock it using he RK fob. The wiring would be next which I have all the diagrams. Would be quite the undertaking, for sure. I wold like to add the passenger side from the Luminas on both cars.