WTF? Idle re-learn...

gmrulz4u

Tonight I decided to try the idle re-learn procedure that some had recommended...so I pull the 20 amp fuse that's under the hood for the ECM/Fuel Pump...I took it out for about 1 solid minute, put it back in, start the car, and notice that the ECM hasn't even been reset!!!???

How do I know it didn't? Well, besides the obvious things like the engine was running the exact same as before, my OBD Scanner has a parameter called "IAC Motor Reset", it will show "NO" prior to doing an idle re-learn, but mine remained at "YES", showing that the idle was still learned.

So what the hell? Should I pull the fuse for longer than a minute or so?

THANKS!:)

http://www.sts.sae.org/membersonly/techinfo/articles/article6.htm

http://www.sts.sae.org/membersonly/techinfo/articles/article7.htm

Alternate Method (if Tech I is not available)

Note: Either you press the brake pedal when you set the transmission to Drive or you can set the emergency brake. I would use the brake pedal instead because when you are stop at the red light (idling), your transmission is in Drive gear and you are pressing your brake pedal.

With key off, disconnect battery for at least 30 seconds.

Reconnect battery. Do not touch throttle (ECM looks for 0% throttle openings).

Start the engine and shift to “D.†Run for ten minutes or until cooling fan cycles.

Shut off engine. Wait 30 seconds.

Restart. Run 5 minutes in “D†or until cooling fan cycles.

Check idle speed. (Note: the ECM can only learn eight IAC counts per key cycle).

Repeat procedure if not correct.

Remember that when the throttle opening is less than 2% (2.8L) or 5% (3.1L), fuel delivery is based on IAC counts. Correct IAC position is critical to prevent stalling. Normal is about 15 counts.

Guest TurboSedan

thanks for the info :) do you know of the idle relearn procedure for 3.1/manual tranny cars? i asked before but never really did get a straight answer, so usually it runs like crap for awhile after disconnecting the battery. thanks

joshua