Aftermarket Radio Install in 1988 Grand Prix

cobracdr

I realize I could swap out the IP carrier but I want my interior to match, plus my interior is nicer than anything I can get out of the junk yard.

I found this install kit made by metra for 88-89 pontiac grand prixs.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=265-667&ctab=15#Tabs

Does anyone have any experience with this install kit? Any pictures of how it looks/works? This is the only one I can find for this car. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Have you ever done an 88 or 89 gp? They have the modular radio where it is not all that deep behind the radio part. I just want to make sure this is going to work ok before I buy it. Any pictures would be great

ok great so do I have to use the install kit made by metra? or can I use one made by scoche? How about this wiring harness? I have the optional performance sound. With this work with it?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=265-606

Thanks for your help. Oh and what do you use to cut out the back of the cubby

It's just the standard GM harness, so yes that is the one. Be sure to get an antenna adapter also, GM's use the Mini style.

As far as cutting out is concerned, your fist, air saw, hacksaw, dremmel, tin snips, etc..... I've used them all, be creative. More commonly, though, I just grab and twist, it eventually breaks off.

The scosche or metra kit will work. They will be the same set-up: Take front shroud, attach to GM pocket. Attach brackets to pocket, insert cage into kit, and bolt into the dash.