Top Posters In This Topic

• J

• AWeb80

• 19Cutlass94

• jeremy

Top Posters In This Topic

yes,they are.

I got an email simply saying;

"Jay, those parts are discontinued form GM, sorry" I don't know if it was from that site or not, we;ll see. If so i'm back to square one :willynilly:

yes,they are.

I got an email simply saying;

"Jay, those parts are discontinued form GM, sorry" I don't know if it was from that site or not, we;ll see. If so i'm back to square one :willynilly:

:(

Ever think about making your own, or having someone make you some? May be a little over your head as far as tools and expierience, but still an option. Its what some guys with classic cars do when replacement patch panels and parts are not being reproduced.

yes there are some good bodymen out there that can make you new ones

out of flat steel . I might cost a bit but from the looks of the rest of your car it would be money well spent . that is the best 4 door w body

ive ever seen

Since we're talking rocker panels, how feasible would it be to chop some off of another Lumina to use on your car? There are about 20+ Luminas(quite a few sedans) in some of my local junkyards. 99% of them have rocker panels in perfect condition as it takes a long time for rust to form here. I've only seen one rusty W' in one of these yards and I found some papers in it showing that it had been in Michigan most of its life.

that's what would ahve to happen, either get some from a southern car, or get one of the contacts I have at fab shops to do it and pay out the ass.

Thanks for the kind words fellas

I'm not sure how thick the rockers would have to be, but if the steel was thin gauge, it would be quick work on a bench brake. You could probably find a machine shop with a bench brake and make up a drawing for them to bend you the profile and have them bend you new rockers out of plain sheet steel. Then just weld them in and paint it all.

And I'm not sure if the rockers are structural, but it seems like you could probably also make them out of aluminum and bond them in with some DP-460 epoxy...or jb weld

In my last conversation with SMOOTH, he expressed interest in having the GP sedan rocker panel covers on the car anyhow, (the same as both me and Maybe2fast have done) which means that the repairs don't need to have a professional finish!!!!!

On my car... the first foot of the right rocker panel was gone due to a collision, and their were holes towards the rear on both side.

I covered the holes using old phone cards I've had for a while. I coated them with jb welded and stuck a self tapping screw on each corner of the cars. plastic doesn't rust y'all!

I bent a flat indiana aluminum plate to fab and cover the missing portion on the passenger side and used about 20 self tapping sheetmetal screws and jb weld to stick it in place. yeah.. you saw it when you open the door, but was anything right with that car??? LOL

another car with a rust problem (and this would work on a host of W bodies) is digitaloutsiders cutlass. the hole is in the quarterpanel area hidden by the end of the rocker panel moulding/ground effects. cleaning and prepping the body inside and outside would prevent further rust, and then making a simple patch panel from a piece of high quality sheetmetal (zinc coated?) to cover the area, and then rivet or use self tapping screws to attach the repair the panel. I'd then paint it to protect it and cover it back up with the moulding.

moral of the story? make a good repair, even the ones above which were done on the cheap, but don't rape yourself!

In my last conversation with SMOOTH, he expressed interest in having the GP sedan rocker panel covers on the car anyhow, (the same as both me and Maybe2fast have done) which means that the repairs don't need to have a professional finish!!!!!

Is this the rocker panel cladding that you can see in Jay's sig?

where did the plastic pieces come from

Those are Razzi side skirts.

Jay, I would just buy a clean parts car from the south, with the options you want to put into your car. Find something with a blue interior.

Tow it back and start cutting.

I had some bad rust holes in the bottom of the hondr...almost through to the interior......they got huge mid winter w/ all the salt they put down.

I took some sheet metal ducting from my bro's HVAC job and cut it in to pieces that fit.....then got some good black all-weather silicone, and plastered the back side of the pieces....then got self tapping screws like Ken said and screwed teh pieces into place....

I let the silicone dry for about 5 hrs....then coated them and the rest of the rockers w/ good rubber undercoating spray.

been 3 weeks and works so far.

Anyone have pictures of a Lumina or other W-body w/ the rocker panels exposed(Ken?)? I could possibly get you some from a junkyard sometime soon Jay, I just need to find a portable sawzall to use.

Jay, I would just buy a clean parts car from the south, with the options you want to put into your car. Find something with a blue interior.

There's been 2 FREE Lumina sedans here in the past 2 months.............I've seen 4 or 5 for less than $300 running.

witht he time, travel , and gasoline cost itd almost be cheaper to have a professional make a custom set for me

• 4 weeks later...

son of a fucking bitch, i had a bunch of shit in my cart from GM parts direct including a lower fascia from the Z34 and the inner and outer rocker panels all came to $255.xx and i went to check out and it said, "NONE of your parts numbers were found" The #'s have either changed or been discontinued. Fuck i was so happy for a few minutes just to be shit down again...................................................AHHHHHHHHHHHH :willynilly: :willynilly: :willynilly: :willynilly: :willynilly: :willynilly: