ugh bad rear suspension

rockfangd

hi everyone for the past 3 years the back end of my cutlass has been too low. I replaced the struts, mounts, and everything but the damn monoleaf. The question i have is i do not want to lower my cutlass but is there any way i can eliminate the rear monoleaf with coilovers. I would much rather have to deal with springs than a sagging monoleaf. I cannot afford $560 for a new monoleaf but i do not want something to get damaged. Thanks to all in advance

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 19Cutlass94

• rockfangd

• xtremerevolution

• CSI_MuNkY

I noe there are conversion kits for coilovers, but for a good kit your looking at somewhere around there, and its not like these monoleafs will need to be replaced for another 15 years or 150k which ever comes first

I've got the Flex-A-Form lowered leaf in my regal. $350 shipped to my house, and does a damn fine job too.

Either that, or you could do like a lot of people around here and just pull a good one off some car in a junkyard. There have also been a lot of threads of people parting out their cars here, so I'm sure you could get a good rear leaf for under $100.

wasnt there a 'add-a-leaf' type thing available somewhere?

converting to coilovers will be more expensive, but worth it in the long run.

Those poly pucks you mean? I put them in my Lumina and felt they barely did anything to help raise the car back to proper height. I think if you use the stock rubber pads and those poly pucks together it might give you some lift..dunno if the spring will last too long doing that though.

Sounds like your mono leaf has failed.

Take Xtremes' advice. His monoleaf rides stiff and keeps a comfortable ride height. It does cost a bit but coilovers with struts will run you more. You can try a used monoleaf off of a junk yard car too. That is your cheaper option.

If you build a set of coilovers it will cost you $200tops + alignment. I would rather have coilovers any day over a monoleaf.

Ok well i am worried about trying to remove my monoleaf without breaking my car even more :frown: The auxillary springs are those rubber 8 shaped things in the rear correct? How would they raise the car if removed.

If you build a set of coilovers it will cost you $200tops + alignment. I would rather have coilovers any day over a monoleaf.

Ok well i am worried about trying to remove my monoleaf without breaking my car even more :frown: The auxillary springs are those rubber 8 shaped things in the rear correct? How would they raise the car if removed.

You wont. everything you have to remove to put the coilovers in and take the monoleaf out wont/shouldnt break.

This AUX springs make no difference at all. I drove with them in and out... not one bit of difference

That includes 2 KYB GR2 shocks? Would those also be adjustable?

Isn't it true that the rear monoleaf also reduces body roll?

Is there a reason why they used a monoleaf on the C4 corvette instead of using coilovers?

Just a few things to think about. I had considered rear coilovers as well when looking to lower the rear of my regal, and concluded after a little while that a new rear leaf would be the cheapest alternative.

And the last thing I would point out...most people claim they would rather have rear coilovers over a monoleaf any day, but so far I'm the only one I know of around here who actually has the Flex-A-Form rear lowered leaf installed in their w-body, so how can anyone even make a valid comparison?

That includes 2 KYB GR2 shocks? Would those also be adjustable?

Isn't it true that the rear monoleaf also reduces body roll?

Is there a reason why they used a monoleaf on the C4 corvette instead of using coilovers?

Just a few things to think about. I had considered rear coilovers as well when looking to lower the rear of my regal, and concluded after a little while that a new rear leaf would be the cheapest alternative.

Gr-2's dont come in adjustable, to get a good set of adjustable struts your looking at 400 fot the set fo kyb agx's

The rear monoleaf is an extreemly advanced design used on many high end cars it directly transfers weight from one side of the car to the other during turns and hard cornering, good design and works well

Replacement monoleaf, or even a used one from the j/y that is in good shape is your best alternative puting in coilovers, even for a stock ride height is going to run you into alot of problems, especially making your own

Yes that includes the GR-2's and yes they are adjustable coilovers. Adjustable hight depends on the sleeve that you buy.

Im comparing everything to the stock monoleaf that was in my car.

Monoleaf reduce body roll? the stock monoleaf is garbage, it doesnt support the car enough. So what that GM used in the C4.. theres more to suspenion than a monoleaf. Both compents and cost are a big reason why GM chooses what it does.

Yes that includes the GR-2's and yes they are adjustable coilovers. Adjustable hight depends on the sleeve that you buy.

Im comparing everything to the stock monoleaf that was in my car.

Monoleaf reduce body roll? the stock monoleaf is garbage, it doesnt support the car enough. So what that GM used in the C4.. theres more to suspenion than a monoleaf. Both compents and cost are a big reason why GM chooses what it does.

Yet still managed to compete pretty well with the Porsche 911 Turbo. I don't think they would have used it if it was that horrible.

And I will agree the stock monoleaf is not all that great, but I would argue that coilovers are on an entirely different level and can't really be compared. All I can say is how impressed I was with the Flex-A-Form rear lowered leaf and how simple the swap was.

This topic has progressed alot since my last visit. I have the FFP coilovers with the KYB GR-2 struts. They did nothing to improve bodyroll. I actually like Xtremerevolutions suspension and handleing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not gay for Andre or anything like that, but his suspension is superb. I need to replace my KYB GR-2 struts now after two years of driving with them. Plus the damn screw that holds the coilovers at their set height won't worth-a-shit. I had to force the things to spin in order to drop christine. I guess I should of shot the screws with a bit of WD40 once in a while.

well how much work does it take to remove the monoleaf, maybe for temp i can get a used one

As found in my Haynes Repair Manual:

Raise the rear of the vehicle

remove stabilizer bar

remove brake drums or calipers and discs from the hubs

remove trailing arm-to-knuckle nut and bolt

remove trailing arm-to-chassis nut and bolt

detach the trailing arm and lower it from the vehicle

compress and detach auxiliary spring (if equipped)

remove nuts and bolts connecting the rods to the knuckle

remove rod inner bolts at the crossmember

Seriously man, get the repair manual. It tells you how to take apart and put the whole car back together. Its fairly straightforward. Its cheap, and saves you a lot of trouble, believe me.

well how much work does it take to remove the monoleaf, maybe for temp i can get a used one

remove stabilizer bar

Seriously man, get the repair manual. It tells you how to take apart and put the whole car back together. Its fairly straightforward. Its cheap, and saves you a lot of trouble, believe me.

Getting a 1994 CS service manual isn't easy without paying a lot of money...They're generally $50-100 on ebay when most any other years are less than $10...Not sure why.

I paid $35 for mine, but I got lucky.

And as for Haynes and Chilton's...They are about worthless. They tell you what to do, but not how to do it.

remove stabilizer bar

Getting a 1994 CS service manual isn't easy without paying a lot of money...They're generally $50-100 on ebay when most any other years are less than $10...Not sure why.

And as for Haynes and Chilton's...They are about worthless. They tell you what to do, but not how to do it.

I suppose it might have been easier for me because I had some experience working on cars when I set to do my rear suspension.

remove stabilizer bar

I suppose it might have been easier for me because I had some experience working on cars when I set to do my rear suspension.

You dont need to do that much work to remove a monoleaf.....

remove stabilizer bar

well i have a bit of experience as i work on cars every day but the every time i hear monoleaf problem it is always a nightmare, and with my luck i wouldnt be surprised. My haynes manual is worthless and i cannot find a more specific manual for an affordable price.

well i have a bit of experience as i work on cars every day but the every time i hear monoleaf problem it is always a nightmare, and with my luck i wouldnt be surprised. My haynes manual is worthless and i cannot find a more specific manual for an affordable price.

In that case, all I can say is good luck man. I had a lot of time to do mine and it took me a while as well, but I also had a licensed mechanic helping me out too so nothing went wrong.