'92 Olds Cutlass 3.1 start then stall

kbotc

Problem: I go out to my car, I turn the key and it immediately starts up, it revs up to 2k or maybe 3k RPMs if I give it gas, then the RPMs fall to zero no matter what I do, and right as the car stalls it makes a loud POP from under the hood. The exhaust smells strongly of gas and when I pop the hood, the gas smell is stronger. Exhaust is a very dark grey color. I don't have a timing light but I'm getting sparks with the cheapo spark tester I got from AutoZone.

I've checked all the fuses, changed plugs and wires, replaced a bad coil.

What would you recommend I do next? I don't have too much money, there is no junkyard around Champaign-Urbana, and I don't want to just shotgun parts at the car.

Yea i would start by testing fuel pressure, then look for a vac leak, there are too many hoses under there, and your car is old (by defination of laymans terms, its still young at heart lol) let us know

My Cutlass did that and it was a bad Coolant Temp Sensor. Made it run so pig rich that it would only run at high RPM's or it would stall.

fuel pump!

like any of these?

th_100_0885.jpg

th_100_0886.jpg

th_100_0887.jpg

(ignore my idiotic comments on this one)

Yea, I haven't had someone else to crank my engine over so I could watch it from the outside, but it's just like #2. :cry: Yours was a bad Fuel Pump?

I'm betting that it is a vacuum leak caused by a faulty intake gasket. Does the problem go away or get better if the engine is warmed up? Also check the vacuum lines.

The car is basically in a no-start condition currently, so I can't tell you if it gets better when it's started. I did a basic visual inspection of the vacuum hoses and didn't see anything, but what I DID notice was when I first pulled out the vacuum hoses one of the hoses had a very strong gas smell.

I'm thinking my FPR is bad and leaking, anyone else have any input?