speed governor on a 94 GP SE?

pontiacmaniac94

My 91 LQ1 5 speed cut off at an actual 127mph with the original 225/60R16 tires, and now shuts down at 124mph (due to 245/50R16's being around 3% shorter).

This occurs at ~6600rpm in 4th gear or ~4350rpm in 5th.

All speeds are GPS verified.

HOWEVER.

My SPEEDOMETER is actualy only sitting at 121-122ish (just past the 120 mark).

So.............the point is..........unless you guys have factory sized tires (and all the same brand AND all the same overall wear), AND all have speedometers that are DEAD on, it's quite possible for multiple cars to have differenent ACTUAL and different INDICATED top speeds.

Hell...........I once GPS'ed a girls VW Bug that *indicated* 135mph at an ACTUAL 111mph.

So yeah........ top speed claims can get a little wild (and vary a LOT).

Oh............as for 94-95 3100 cars:

Fastchips used to (maybe still does??) offer a PCM "upgrade" for $300ish that eliminates the governor.........but does fuck-all else.

In fact, I know of a guy who emailed them about just adjusting shiftpoints and they wouldn't even do it.

So yeah..........94-95 guys either need to accept that their cars have a low top speed, or do an OBDII swap.........and then buy an HP Tuners suite or a leftover DHP Powertuner and have fun.

Oh.............and do NOT expect a 3100 car to be a top speed king ANYWAY.

A stock one makes BARELY 125whp (more like 120), and with such a huge frontal area and dogshit gearing (as they come from the factory), I doubt you could even break 120mph on dead flat land...........you are stuck either spinning the shift out of it in 3rd, or dropping down out of the powerband in 4th.

Hell............Canada's old 3100 Beretta went RIGHT AT 131mph with his 138whp MODDED 3100 spinning 5600rpm in 3rd, and touched 140mph after his 3400 swap........WITH a light tailwind.

And Beretta's have about 10% less frontal area and a slicker C.D.

Oh..........video here: http://www.berettaspeed.com/canada/Videos/Canada's%20Top%20Speed%20Run.wmv

http://www.fastchip.com/

Beg the shit out of them, and they *might* do a useable PCM flash for you.

I'd at least get them to raise the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts by 200rpm (more for modded cars) to go along with the governor delete...........at least THEN you'd be getting some performance to go with the governor removal.

Hell..........ust tell them to bump ALL of the shift tables by 5%.........that's nice and safe and easy as hell to do.

all jokes aside, there is no reason to drive that fast.

I really gotta say thats not fast at all. ill go as far as to say its not even unsafe so long as your brakes are sufficient for that speed (and the car itself as a whole) and your not driving like an asshole ex: weaving

• 1 month later...
Guest GrandPrixlover1

BigBulls I have a 96 Grand Prix SE coupe and my engine is bone stock except for the K&N air filter I put in, and my GP is rated at 160 HP. hmmm...That's what it is on paper, I'd like to see what it is on the dyno. hmmmm..... If mine doesn't have the govenor which I think it does. It has a rev limiter in it. but If mine doesn't have the govenor I would venture my car would do a good solid 125-130 mph. Which to me is fast enough. I think of GP's mine anyways, not the kind of car you would want to put on the 1/4 mile or lay it down on the highway. Nah, those are for oldschool muscle, wanna be tuners, or for GTP's, TGP's, etc.... I picture my GP on a road course hugging the road through the turns, and givin a short blast of throttle down a little straight away(just enough to make her growl make your spine tingle) before going into another turn. I think that the late 80's to mid 90's GP's are made for a road course rather than the strip, or racin some other guy on the highway. not saying you can't do those things but I'd rather have mine on a road course. Oh, the possibilities. 8-)

So i'd have to agree with BigBUlls, that stock 3100's like mine aren't made to go fast. Go to a road track and have fun with the 3100. yeah horsepower maybe limited but throttle response from them can be amazing for such a small engine. 8-)

I still think cracking 120ish with a stock L82 car is wishfull thinking. 120mph is 5300rpm or thereabouts in 3rd gear (just where the power curve starts heading south), and at this point you are only making 120whp or a nose more..........and given that these things have a barn-doors worth of frontal area (it's like 24 sq/ft) and a coefficent of drag that is ok, but could be better (I've seen .30-.34 published for the various W Body cars), I GRAVELY doubt that it get much further without driving off a cliff.

As for road courses.......

My big fat GP DOES handle relatively well for such a porky car (it DOES have the B4U package), but my other cars can run circles around it on any kind of a twisty road.

*I* think the big W Body coupes are more in the Grand Tourer class of car..........they can hustle on entertaining back roads, but are NOT for the truly tight stuff (no Tail of the Dragon here :wink:).

Plus W Body brakes suck ass for truly hard driving (as I've found out)........... :lol:

BIGULLS OWNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! before you go off half cocked get your facts right. In my 92 i hit my fuel cut at 115 in 3RD GEAR at 5100 rpms.. Ya 5100 so get it right dude.. And I had 4 wheels and tires in the car with me. Oh and another OWEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU DOUCH

BIGULLS OWNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! before you go off half cocked get your facts right. In my 92 i hit my fuel cut at 115 in 3RD GEAR at 5100 rpms.. Ya 5100 so get it right dude.. And I had 4 wheels and tires in the car with me. Oh and another OWEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU DOUCH

Enough of this, you're gone. Hopefully over the next three days, you can learn to have a rational debate and not resort to childish namecalling.

*I* think the big W Body coupes are more in the Grand Tourer class of car..........they can hustle on entertaining back roads, but are NOT for the truly tight stuff (no Tail of the Dragon here :wink:).Plus W Body brakes suck ass for truly hard driving (as I've found out)........... :lol:

I'd disagree with this slightly, I have a front and rear STB on my car, as well as KYB GR2's in the rear, and I've found that with the Regatta 2's/8" Xlaces, the car is fairly hardy on tight curves. I've also not got all that much to go off of, just a few tight offramps and interchanges, but I've found it can handle a decent curve at 50MPH on dry, flat pavement almost no problem.

Um............5100rpm at 115mph works out to 22.549mph per 1000rpm.

And since 22.549 X 5.3 = 119.51mph..........it seems I DO know what the fuck I'm talking about (since all 60-E 3.1/3100 W's are geared the same, my argument is perfectly valid for 3100 cars as well).

So...........I would say that YOU just made yourself look like the utter tool that you are. So kindly shut the fuck up and learn some math.

Oh, and the governor on the older MFI cars is kind of a formality, as they can only BARELY get to it anyway (due to making less power than the later 3100 cars).

*I* think the big W Body coupes are more in the Grand Tourer class of car..........they can hustle on entertaining back roads, but are NOT for the truly tight stuff (no Tail of the Dragon here :wink:). Plus W Body brakes suck ass for truly hard driving (as I've found out)........... :lol:

I'd disagree with this slightly, I have a front and rear STB on my car, as well as KYB GR2's in the rear, and I've found that with the Regatta 2's/8" Xlaces, the car is fairly hardy on tight curves. I've also not got all that much to go off of, just a few tight offramps and interchanges, but I've found it can handle a decent curve at 50MPH on dry, flat pavement almost no problem.

The GR2's should add a level of response to the car and handle midcorner bumps along with that annoying corkscrewing the front end gets when cornering on undulating pavement, and the STB's ought to help steering precision a touch, but your all-seasons certainly aren't going to win any grip wars (not that there is anything wrong with Regatta II's.........but they are NOT a performance tire).

I think maybe with lower grip tires, the shortcomings of the suspension are hidden a little...........I've been running summer only tires on mine for a decade now (Dunlop SP Sport D40 M2's until they were disscontinued and Kumho 711's......also now disscontinued but still have tread left)...........the extra grip and response these tires afford REALLY show up the weaknesses of the stock suspension.

Plus look at my sig with what I have to compare it too.........a stock (except for tires) Prelude SH.........Car and Driver rated it the best handling car in the U.S. for under 30K in 1997.........., a Neon with Azenis's and a few judicious suspension mods and an NX2000 with coilovers, sway bars and other assorted goodies and another set of Azenis'.

So yeah..........THEY make the GP feel like a fat man playing tag with Barry Sanders.

*I* think the big W Body coupes are more in the Grand Tourer class of car..........they can hustle on entertaining back roads, but are NOT for the truly tight stuff (no Tail of the Dragon here :wink:). Plus W Body brakes suck ass for truly hard driving (as I've found out)........... :lol:

The GR2's should add a level of response to the car and handle midcorner bumps and that annoying corkscrewing the front end gets when cornering on undulating pavement, and the STB's ought to help steering precision a touch, but your all-seasons certainly aren't going to win any grip wars.

So yeah..........THEY make the GP feel like a fat man playing tag with Barry Sanders.

Yeah, the tires are nice but they're not great for grip. Like you said though, they complement the car's suspension weaknesses somewhat.

:lol: I know the GP's not going to win any cornering contests, but what I've added to it makes it much more tolerable to drive hard. I drove a couple of stock W's around, and I realized I'd gotten so used to the lack of body roll in my car that I hated them.

Mind you that I used to work for a Subaru dealer, so I drove STi's, and Legacy Spec B's around as well... I totally understand that relatively, my car is an apple cart with a missing wheel when it comes to handling, but compared to stock, the few mods I've done really make a difference.

All i know is i got up to 125 in my lumina without a turbo.

Yeah, and LQ1 cars make a BUNCH more power than L82's do...........

So, while cutting at 120-121ish mph is more common for LQ1 autos, 125 is NOT out of the question.

Now an UNGOVERNED (but otherwise stock) LQ1 auto...........one of those should see low 130's given room with the tach screaming at 6500rpm or thereabouts in 3rd gear..........4th gear though, will NOT pull it (you drop too far out of the powerband with the stock gearset).

The whole extra 40ish whp (LQ1 vs L82) really makes a difference up top :wink:

BTW.

Did you GPS verify said 125mph????

:razz: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

My '92 Cutlass 3.1 goverened at 107. My '97 CS 3100 did the same. I removed the governor from a '99 Lumina, and got it to 121mph bone stock.

I've had my '97 Cutlass will do an actual 147 right now.

• 2 weeks later...

My '92 Cutlass 3.1 goverened at 107. My '97 CS 3100 did the same. I removed the governor from a '99 Lumina, and got it to 121mph bone stock.

I've had my '97 Cutlass will do an actual 147 right now.

99 Lumina..........HP Tuners or DHP??

As for the Cutlass.........L67 swap??

And for either.........GPS verified or not??

Just asking :mrgreen:

DUDE! YOu got p'zowned.......you know, those things stuffed pizza like things!

Fat man playing tag with Barry Sanders?

I get the analogy, but were do you come up with this????

I miss my old beretta actually. it was very balsy and was pretty sleek actually.

Mine had trouble going 75. :lol: But it did look nice.

Hooray for the GA shutting off at 127! :) I've never had it that fast AND I NEVER WILL, but that is where the factory govenor is on GAGTs.

Been there, done that, have video.

:mrgreen:

Oh, and I can verify 3 seperate GAGT's (an '00, an '01 and an '02) that all cut at 127mph (5800rpm in 3rd gear). GPS verified at that :wink:

One oddity though............the '00 and '01 both held 3rd gear all the way in both "3" and "D", but not the '02. The '02 acted normally in "3", but in "D" it would shortshift into 4th gear at 5400rpm/118mph and then go FLAT..........either it just ran right out of power (it was sitting just under 4K rpm), or it hit a soft governor (NOT the same as the hard cut in 3rd gear).

Either way, GAGT's are perfectly stable at that speed, but like earlier W cars, the 127mph cut is mostly a formality...........because I REALLY doubt they'd go more than 130-132mph without it.