Hitting fuel cut more and more often....possibly ignition?

GOT2B GM

yeah, I have an Autometer boost gauge and thats where I'm getting 7 psi from.

Yes, the cruise works......??

what, you dont know why I would ask?

if it doesnt work that usually indicates a leak.

those wires last forever I doubt its that.

I doubt its weather related, Temps are starting to dip, but its still shorts and tee shirt weather when he drives the car for the most part. If he was just driving the car at night I could see it, because its starting to get pretty chilly at night.

Jamie

yeah, I have an Autometer boost gauge and thats where I'm getting 7 psi from.

Yes, the cruise works......??

what, you dont know why I would ask?

if it doesnt work that usually indicates a leak.

those wires last forever I doubt its that.

Sorry I just didn't see what you were getting at. The cruise works, I've had vacuum leaks before that have caused it not to work, but I've repaired them.

it kind of reminds me of my higher mileage car with 190 k on it. If I am imagining it the right way, theres like a bucking action at wot? like after 2nd gear hits or in 3rd?

I put the stock chip back in it and it seems to like 9 psi alot more. but I never adjusted the wastegate rod very much, it seemed to be too loose. I should have played with it more before I detuned it. the intake gaskets on that car arent port matched though and I gotta take off the upper plenum. without doing that first it will never get good airflow anyway. :confused: hmm, better do that first.

I put the chip in my other car and it likes it! I should throw the threaded wastegate on that car and play with it, just never got around to it yet because too much parts collecting and restoring going on, not to mention work.

it kind of reminds me of my higher mileage car with 190 k on it. If I am imagining it the right way, theres like a bucking action at wot? like after 2nd gear hits or in 3rd?

My Cutlass used to do that. Buck under load, mostly in 4th. I thought it didn't have enough power and the TCC wasn't unlocking. It was definetly ignition, either ICM or coils. I dunno, I replaced everything at once with spares lol (inc. wires and plugs). Ran beautifully after that though.

hmmm, the coils were replaced on my car years ago, and I remember he was in a hurry or something and forgot one of the bolts to the ICM and I thought it wouldnt ground the unit quite as well. there was only 2 of the 3 bolts in it. and I know he didnt clean it up down there before bolting it back on. he wasnt even considering the fact that its how it grounds to the block. I was wiping down the ICM when he grabbed it from me and half ass bolted it back in. :cry:.

he was taking shortcuts that day I guess. I will have to go back and clean up the area and see if it makes a difference.

so yea, dont rule out ignition.

Let me know if that makes a difference.

I'm gonna probably do wires next and work my way down the line from there.

I think I'm going to toss a new fuel filter on for good measure also.

oh yeah, about the bucking, I would call it more of a stutter...at least in my case.

but then you let off the gas and floor it again and the wastegate stays closed better? at least thats what it seems like to me because it feels like boost petering out, or the turbine slowing down.

yeah, sometimes if I let off and then hit it again, its seems to boost higher and hold it there..but it's not consistant.

I just ordered a nice set of Magnecor KV85 wires, so now we wait for them to arrive....

hmmm, the coils were replaced on my car years ago, and I remember he was in a hurry or something and forgot one of the bolts to the ICM and I thought it wouldnt ground the unit quite as well. there was only 2 of the 3 bolts in it.

nobody puts the 3rd bolt back in. it's the pain in the ass bolt.

don't worry about it.

and yea, I guess I meant more of a stutter than a bucking.

yea I guess it wouldnt matter if the other 2 bolts are clean and the blocks clean with some grounding compound in there.

I know when the other grounds to the battery-to-block are dirty they wreak havoc on the charging system. and takes out the regulater.

cant imagine it would be too good for ignition.