Info and advise needed

Steve LS

I posted this on the old site last night . I'll try here now.

Hey TGP people, I need info and advise. There is a 90 locally for sale. I have not looked yet but maybe sometime tomorrow/ Sun. The add already states trans slips,easy fix (yea right).

I have three alternatives. Here they are.

What issues and approximate funds are at stake to getting these rebuilt proper and/or with trans upgrades I've seen mentioned on some of the TGP sites I've visited?

OR I have a good 4T60 from a 87 BOP FWD 3.8. I know the axel ratio is different- what else? In other words would it work if I changed the final drive?

Or what donor cars can be used for 5 speed conv. I realize GP is the best but what about the Beretta or other GM FWD 5 speed cars?

All this was easier before the old W-body page went down. I remember it listed all GM engines and trannys and applications

Lastly what else would be good to take a close look at when purchasing a TGP I mean important stuff? I have read through most of your best web sites and most of this forum and can see most things your up against but anthing else?

You can use the HM-282 5-speed from any other car, but you will need the W-body intermediate shaft which I have heard is discontinued.

So if you can find a W-body, that would be the best donor. The HM-282 5-speed was available on all 88-89 W-bodies and 90 Grand Prix.

There was an HM-284 5-speed which would bolt up and was used with the 91-93 3.4 DOHC, but parts for it are impossible to find so I wouldn't bother with it.

Well as far as a slipping tranny...maybe you would get lucky and it is nothing more than a dirty filter. I just finished a 5-speed conversion in my 90 TGP and just before I priced a 4t60 rebuild. These TGP tranny's are built specific than any other tranny to include a different torque converter. Lowest price I got from a reputable tranny shop, not Sl-AAmco was $1500. The 5-speed conversion is not for the weak of heart. It is a hassle to do, but worth it I think! My donor car was an 89 Grand Prix SE and everything needed was there. As far as what to look for on a TGP??? I wouldn't know where to begin...LOL

The Beretta and Cavalier w/5sp seem to be more available. If they have the HM282 are all the other parts needed for the conversion right.? Like if its a 2.8 Cavalier is it the right fly wheel, driveshafts,clutch and clutch mechanism's. I hope you understand what I mean. I would buy a inexpensive car for parts park it beside the TGP and begin the transfer.

TGPilot:

The 3.4 blocks are different, but similar to the 2.8/3.1 blocks. Same tranny bolt pattern.

Steve:

Tranny, flywheel and clutch are the same from a V6 J, L or N-body, but the intermediate shaft and axles are different. That's why it's better to get it all from a W-body donor. If you can find a 5-speed W-body with damaged manual tranny, you can swap its intermediate shaft and axles onto a J, L, or N-body HM-282.

OK Right now there is a

88 rolled Cavalier Z24 2.8 V6 5sp.

88 Beretta 5 sp 6 cyl.

89 Beretta 5sp. 4cyl.

these are all asking 500.00 cars will they contain everything I would need.

I've been an H body man so I'm not sure what models are in what body designation. I used to visit the old w-body page which gave all the info but I didnt retain it all. :roll:

But if I'm understanding right the Beretta does have the right intermediate shaft and driveshafts? What about the stuff at the fire wall and shifter linkage/stick and so forth, you know the little stuff?

Sorry for my density. :shock:

So w-body is Grand Prix / Regal / Cutlass / Corsica ?

With the Grand Prix the only one with 5 sp?

Guess I would need a Grand Prix then? Bummer, hard to find.

also, a Corsica is an L-body, not W.

while i am not the most educated on this yet.... i have to disagree with that.

as the corsica and lumina seem to be the same to me.

if wrong i will stand corrected.

Monty

Any more info on the automatic rebuild?

It seems it would be a long search or big bucks from a junk yard for GP 5sp. Then they would want more for the other parts , plus the problems with the hacks that work in those places and only know 2 tools - torch - hammer . Plus it would be nice to have a complete donor car so there would be time to remove and see how its susposed to be hooked up.

Now I've talked to the guy and he says its slipping between a few gears. The filter and fluid has been changed so thats not the problem.Are there different levels of transmission rebuild. At 139,000 it seems like a complete would be in order. He definantly knows some stuff about the car. Get this he said new transmission from GM (?) were less for the TGP than the GP (?). I have to find out where he called and found this out. He said the new(?)TGP was around 1500.00 and the GP was 1800.00. What do you think? Ocean front or what?

I'm going to look Wed.

Monty

Just park a Corsica next to a Lumina sometime. There is about a foot difference in length.

Monty

Just park a Corsica next to a Lumina sometime. There is about a foot difference in length.

so i stand corrected.

guess i am human

oh well

Monty

Monty

so i stand corrected.

guess i am human

oh well

Monty

Sorry you're human :)

too make it even worse

when i stepped into the parts store today i looked through the chiltons and guess what????

there was a book for the berretta and corsica. with no others cars mentioned on the cover.

Monty

too make it even worse

when i stepped into the parts store today i looked through the chiltons and guess what????

there was a book for the berretta and corsica. with no others cars mentioned on the cover.

Monty

Yup, they're the only 2 cars built on the L-body platform...