my95z34

Well, I've got 2 Kenwood 800w 4ohm subs hooked up to a 1,2,4ohm 1000w Sony Xplod amp. I know the amp is crappy, but its all I could afford. But when I just got my new box built, I run the subs bridged at 2ohms. Well at loud volumes, the amp gets reallllllly hot. Hot to the point where it is kicking itself off durring deep bass tones. I have to flip the back seat of the Monte down so that it can get some air to cool it off.

Anyways I was talking to Slick at the Kensington meet and he told me a few things to do. My ground wire was a smaller gauge than my power wire, he said to make them the same. I did. Also he said to shorten it up. It was about 5-6', now its only about 1.5'. Still gets too hot.

WTF is the problem here? I just redid everything, and added a battery in the trunk, but I cannot figure it out, other than crappy amp.

Any ideas? Thanks! :willynilly:

Ohm out your subs at the amp, and lemme know how you have them hooked up.

Since you have your amp mounted to the back seat, I recommend using longer screws and putting spacers between the amp and the back seat for a bit of air flow. 1/2" is usually more than sufficient.

BTW, I have seen way too many Xplod amps hold true to there name.

When we installed the subs to the box, we checked the Ohms, and it's just over 2 ohms at the box. I dont have a multimeter or I'd check it at the amp.

And it is bridged at the amp, goes into the box to the first sub, then the wires come off of the sub and go into the second sub. It is parallel, not series.

Do you happen to know anyone that has a multimeter that you could use to just check it at the amp? Be sure, that when you check it, that the car is turned off. If the amp is on, it will throw it off completely. Actually... just stop by a stereo shop real quick, and tell them that your amp is running really hot. Tell them how you hooked it up, but your not sure what the ohm is. Most of the time, they will just meter it without any charge.

More fans? You can use PC fans since they are 12v as well.

I built a big box for it before, with an intake and exhaust fan on either side of the amp, but to no avail. I was pretty proud of the box too. :(

BTW, how do you have your amp adjusted?

The gains and such? I'll take a picture of it when I get ahold of my digi cam from my fiance.

Ok, i just stopped at cartunes and they checked it and its 2.1ohms at the amp. Same as at the box.

He also said that even though the amp says it does 1, 2, and 4 ohms it just wont work at 2ohms.

His problem is none other than the amp. That amp is HORRIBLE. It's a well known fact that Sony makes absolutely horrid car audio equipment. When I had my two MTX 5500's on a Sony XPlod 500W amp, the thing would cut out on EVERY deep bass note, and cut out after only 10 seconds of loud continuous bass. I've talked to a lot of car audio enthusiasts who all told me that the amp I had was absolute garbage and that I should get something better.

Return that piece of shit and get yourself a real amp. Here's what I'm using now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HIFONICS-BXi1606D-SUPER-D-CLASS-MONO-SUB-AMP-1600W-RMS_W0QQitemZ250160305752QQcmdZViewItem

This thing NEVER cuts out on me and never overheats, even at full volume with the single Kicker L5 (600W RMS).

IMG_0272.jpg

If I were you, I'd return that Sony amp and get one of these.

Hifonics is a bit overpriced. Not saying that they are bad amps, but you may be able to do better for the same price.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4541643

Not sure if this is what he has, but a 1000W sony amp is $150 at wal-mart. I personally thought $255 shipped for a 1600W (1100W @ 2 ohm) Hifonics amp was pretty good. I can personally vouch for the quality of this amp. The guy who recommended me this amp had gone through 5 car audio systems and told me that for the price, I couldn't get a better amp and that it would last me for a long time through many upgrades.

Well yeah, but i thought you needed a powerful amp to pump the subs.

But do you think the T1 and that amp is worth all the Xbox 360 stuff i posted in the classifieds section on here?

what gauge wire are you running? running larger gauge will help. and i would try a cooling fan right on the amp.

i'm running my american bass vfl150.1 at .5 ohms with a cooling fan and 0 awg power wire and 4 4awg grounds. runs cool to the touch at all times.