Average gas milage on a 3.1??

stryker

The car runs great. No sputtering or noises of any kind. Starts great hot or cold and it isn't showing any codes!

So why is the stupid thing only getting 11 miles per gallon? :cry: It is never driven hard and ALL the mileage so far has been city driving but 11 mpg seems a little low to me. Anyone have any ideas or info to offer me?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BXX

• Crazy K

• xtremerevolution

• pitzel

heh, it's not going to throw any codes on OBD I unless you're really screwed. I'd do a full tune up and be sure to change O2 sensor (20 bucks on obd I) Air filter and the fuel filter. After that perhaps seafoam it and clean the EGR.

the 3.1 only had an EPA estimated city gas mileage of about 13...

what? no...... should be about 19.

Yeah, the dealer sticker for a 3.1L said 19 city/29 hwy.

Guy I bought her from said it had new plugs and wires about 400 miles ago. No cat on the exhaust to be clogged. No codes,not even a check engine light. Car runs great,never hard to start.Stops fine so and really moves out when you hit the gas. So I don't believe that the brakes could be dragging. In fact I don't think the rear brakes are working at all.

Dealer sticker for my 89 GP showed 13 city/19 highway.... And believe me, that is what I got...

was it a 3 speed transmission?

You know, now that I think of it, it coulda been since by the time I got the car, it was a 2.8L 4T60 from a 88 Regal... But the VIN was correct 3.1L and the sticker matched the VIN... I don't recall seeing it originally being a 3-speed... Hell, GP's never got a 3-speed in V6 form that I have ever known...

I drove 675km last night and burned a total of 51L of fuel. Thats 7.56L/100km, or 31 US MPG, at 63mph.

I have done the same trip with as little as 42L of fuel by lowering the speed to approximately 45mph. Thats ~38mpg .

*And* I haven't changed oil in over 30,000 miles, and my ICM (spark advance) is inop.

the 3.1 only had an EPA estimated city gas mileage of about 13...

what? no...... should be about 19.

Yeah, the dealer sticker for a 3.1L said 19 city/29 hwy.

That's pretty sad. My 3800 (L27) gets 20-22 mpg city, 29-32 mpg highway (@ 70 mph). If I floor the gas a lot I get about 23-24 mpg for that tank.

I drove 675km last night and burned a total of 51L of fuel. Thats 7.56L/100km, or 31 US MPG, at 63mph.

I have done the same trip with as little as 42L of fuel by lowering the speed to approximately 45mph. Thats ~38mpg .

*And* I haven't changed oil in over 30,000 miles, and my ICM (spark advance) is inop.

No offense, but are you out of your freakin mind? No oil change in over 30,000 miles? Good luck keeping that engine for as long as it was meant to be kept. I change my oil at 3,000 miles with Royal Purple ($7 a quart) Fully Synthetic and if I happen to go overdue on my oil once, I change it early the next time just to keep on my 3,000 mile schedule. No oil change in 30,000 miles is one damn stupid thing to do.

Dealer sticker for my 89 GP showed 13 city/19 highway.... And believe me, that is what I got...

You know, now that I think of it, it coulda been since by the time I got the car, it was a 2.8L 4T60 from a 88 Regal... But the VIN was correct 3.1L and the sticker matched the VIN... I don't recall seeing it originally being a 3-speed... Hell, GP's never got a 3-speed in V6 form that I have ever known...

GPs did come with 3 speed trannies. I've seen them built thru the 93 model year with a 3 speed.

the 4t60 is a 4 speed, but who knows how hacked everything was under the hood. you could have been running in open loop at all times, with no t-stat, both fans on, the ecm temp sensor bypassed, and the check engine light removed. <--- this is an actual situation for a car I serviced. you might have had a non working TCC to boot!

98 3.1 lumina , 17-18 town 25-27 hwy, consistant mpg

1-2 mpg less (ball$ to the wall driveing)

if it's a 98 you have a 3100, not a 3.1

GPs did come with 3 speed trannies. I've seen them built thru the 93 model year with a 3 speed.

the 4t60 is a 4 speed, but who knows how hacked everything was under the hood. you could have been running in open loop at all times, with no t-stat, both fans on, the ecm temp sensor bypassed, and the check engine light removed. <--- this is an actual situation for a car I serviced. you might have had a non working TCC to boot!

The car passed emissions and ran like a dream... The engine in it blew up and the guy had a good engine/trans (2.8L) from a totalled Regal he had...That is about all I know...The TCC worked fine as I drove it a lot on the highway... Hell, my last GP was a 2.8L/5-speed and it only did 21 on the highway if I was lucky.... Now my Cutlass, is way different... I'm getting around 26-27 @ 70mph...

you really shouldnt be gettin 13 mpg, I get about 19-22mpg in town. I dont know what I get on the highway, I'll find out this weekend, when I take my first long trip in the car. I'm lookin to get atleast 25mpg/hwy.

36??, either you failed 4th grade math or you coasted downhill the whole time

No...and no, since you don't know shit..STFU

I don't know shit?? Yeah, go ahead and keep telling yourself that... Whatever makes you feel better about yourself :wink:

back on topic please ladies.......

.... and ALL the mileage so far has been city driving but 11 mpg seems a little low to me.

are your trips very short? i get pretty low city mileage in my GP(15-16) just because its only driven 2 miles each way. it never gets fully warmed up or gets out of open loop. BTW i recently got 31mpg on a drive to and from Seattle, so my GP is fine, its just a matter of the scenario.

36??, either you failed 4th grade math or you coasted downhill the whole time

No...and no, since you don't know shit..STFU

I don't know shit?? Yeah, go ahead and keep telling yourself that... Whatever makes you feel better about yourself :wink:

Well....looks like we both had a moment there. Just trying to make a point...don't make an obscene assumption if you don't know the real truth. Sooooooo.....that 36mpg happened more than once. Thanks for playing!