Need Help with Subs and Amp:

Nick1234

Did I hear someone mention eD's? :lol:

MIne gets meterd on Sunday!!! :willynilly:

SO?!?!?!?! Lets here the result!!!

yeah about the eD's... what are you running?! I read the post and maybe I missed it somewhere... :dunno:

Today I hit a 137.6 before my car decided to shut down during testing.. :damnit1:

While testing I discovered that my output only differs by 1db between 38hz and 48hz! :willynilly:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Deff cannot complain about that! wow! I bet mines not even that good! But next time keep your car running! :lol: did it just shut down cause of the system going or some other problem?! I mean you should be right where I am in terms of dB

No I shouldn't. You have more cone area, more power and a tighter car....LOL...You dont have to deal with a rear windshield that move 1/2"....LOL

Ya I am having issues with mt car, It was idling high and when the bass hit the check engine light would come and the idle would severely drop but the voltage stayed above 13v. Then it got so bad I couldn't go any further.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nick1234

• Puggsley456

• 19Cutlass94

• slick

I thought your amp was bigger than mine ( power wise )?! Once you get everything fixed im sure you would be very close to breaking 140 yeah ya, i deff dont have that rear window problem! lol that just means yours is louder right! :lol:

I thought your amp was bigger than mine ( power wise )?! Once you get everything fixed im sure you would be very close to breaking 140 yeah ya, i deff dont have that rear window problem! lol that just means yours is louder right! :lol:

You have a Nine.1 right? If so its close to 1500rms@1ohm 13.8v....Mine is 1200@14.4@1ohm

My car has gone through 6+ years of heavy daily bass usage........It dont like it anymore. :lol:

:lol: it prolly hates you for it by now!

but yeah Ive got the Nine.1... I didnt think it was rated that high. I thought it was around 1300rms@1ohm@14.0v. I know eD rates it at 1200rms@1ohm@12.5v I should probably go out and check what my gain is set on! i might be able to get a few .X dB more! :lol:

You have a Nine.1 right? If so its close to 1500rms@1ohm 13.8v....Mine is 1200@14.4@1ohm

My car has gone through 6+ years of heavy daily bass usage........It dont like it anymore. :lol:

And I thought my headlights dimming was abuse haha

well with the kenwood amp, i didn't want them to be underpowered. And they were $115. But actually, right now i have the levels turned down on the rca converter, amp is turned down, bass boost off, gain up about 1/3, and it is too much for the subs to handle still at this point. I have the speaker wire from the amp to the box wired, bridged parallel, and inside the box the speakers are wired in series and my amp is stable at 4 ohms. I didn't think this amp would over power them, but I turn the volume up and they get all sorts of crazy. never had a problem with my rockfords, yet they are wired a little different.

well with the kenwood amp, i didn't want them to be underpowered. And they were $115. But actually, right now i have the levels turned down on the rca converter, amp is turned down, bass boost off, gain up about 1/3, and it is too much for the subs to handle still at this point. I have the speaker wire from the amp to the box wired, bridged parallel, and inside the box the speakers are wired in series and my amp is stable at 4 ohms. I didn't think this amp would over power them, but I turn the volume up and they get all sorts of crazy. never had a problem with my rockfords, yet they are wired a little different.

There is no way you are overpowering those subs, if thats the case I would say its either a dirty signal, or possibly another isue.

You shouldnt be overpowering that sub at all. Like said above, could be a dirty signal, is it in a sealed or ported box. if ported whats your frequency cut-off? or filter? did you check the gain with a DMM and tune the amp that way with a test tone?

Whats the model of the amp? did you get DVC2ohm or DVC4ohm sub?

dual 2 vc. 4 ohms each making it an 8 ohm speaker. http://www.electronicexpress.com/product?prod_id=5130 That is the amp i have. nothing too special. I have a sealed mtx box. pretty much just hooked it up and went. 12 guage speaker wire. pretty much equal lenght all the way around. i wish someone around here could take a look at it. too bad you guys aren't closer.

Next time your in Toledo, I'll get it going for ya.

In the meantime, keep it turned down a bit. A bad signal will kill your speaker faster than overpowering or underpowering it.

In fact, I'm currently overpowering my subs by about 150 rms each. With the super clean signal I have, I'm not too worried about overpowering.

you can get away with overpowering or underpowering as long as the signal is clean.

Also, I would suggest wiring your subwoofer such as the dual 4ohm:

1dvcparrellel.jpg

Giving your amp a 2ohm load, your subwoofer will see much more power than at 8ohms.

I'll rephrase what I said about, it may have came out wrong. Each of my subs are rated at around 175 rms. I'm putting an additional 150 to each on top of the rated. Boxes built to spec + clean signal, on top of the fact that I don't abuse my stereo, I'm more than fine.

Obviously I don't do this to customer's vehicles when I do install's (the less you see the customer back, the better), but I'll do it with mine. Hell, I switch stuff around so often, why not haha.

I'll rephrase what I said about, it may have came out wrong. Each of my subs are rated at around 175 rms. I'm putting an additional 150 to each on top of the rated. Boxes built to spec + clean signal, on top of the fact that I don't abuse my stereo, I'm more than fine.

Obviously I don't do this to customer's vehicles when I do install's (the less you see the customer back, the better), but I'll do it with mine. Hell, I switch stuff around so often, why not haha.

yeah you deff cant do that with customers cars! I think mine are rated somewhere around 700rms, and I just made a slight change to the gain setting on my amp, so I think Ive got it nailed this time! Slight gain increase ( voltage was ~36 its now ~38.8 ) and what a difference! Much more air movement in the car! Although i think im absuing them a little much though...

yeah you deff cant do that with customers cars! I think mine are rated somewhere around 700rms, and I just made a slight change to the gain setting on my amp, so I think Ive got it nailed this time! Slight gain increase ( voltage was ~36 its now ~38.8 ) and what a difference! Much more air movement in the car! Although i think im absuing them a little much though...

Yours can handle easily 800-900rms Jay. They are rated 600/1000rms on the site.

See based on a static 1 ohm load 38.8v = 1505.44watts. But with the eD's having 8.3ohm DCR vc in series. You are looking slightly over 1ohm DCR with two drivers in parallel vc in pararlel. So they're probably closer to 1.4 ohm nominal after box rise. So the Nine.1 would be closer to 1100rms dynamically.(38.8x38.8 / 1.4 = 1075w)

I apologize for all the audio geek speak....LOL

I should actually go out and measure the ohms so I can get a better idea of how much Im pushing! Then I might be able to turn up the gain a tad more. Although Ill admit I have a HORRIBLE habit... I always turn the loud feature on... duno why... but I do.... and prolly not good either... Im actually gonna go measure the ohms right now! :lol:

So then in theory.... if my ohms are 1.4 ( just using that cause you did :lol: ) I could turn the gain up to ~46v so then using your equation 46x46 /1.4 = ~1511watts..?

Be careful not to push it too far.

The general idea is

Voltage^2 Divided by total impedance on amp = Wattage.

But voltage will fluctuate alot unless you use a true RMS DMM and a static impedance like a resistor. Because the impedance of a subwoofers voice coils increase as they warm up during usage.

SO ITS JUST A GUIDELINE!!

• 2 weeks later...

how exactly do i get a bad signal?

Well you start with a LOC.

The gains on which are set improperly to high. Which starts a clipped signal... Which is sent to the amplifier, in which wasnt sound good so you turned it up even louder. Clipping the signal even more.

Ya I am having issues with mt car, It was idling high and when the bass hit the check engine light would come and the idle would severely drop but the voltage stayed above 13v. Then it got so bad I couldn't go any further.

Thats your car trying to stay afloat. I believe the ignition shuts down when under 10 Volts...

i have had a capacitor sitting in my garage for a while. 1 is it still good to use. 2. how do i got about hooking one up again.

I turned the gains back up on the subs tonight. they sound fine except one they are just a bit too high. Like on certain songs, and this is an example from the radio. but if A Bay Bay comes on, when they are supposed to hold a tone for a long time like in that song, they get distorted. The subs either seem like they are being sucked in, or pushed out and the outer part of the woofer gets like indents every 1-2 inches. not really sure why it does this...... so i just don't have the gains up too high. Is that common to happen. or does it just verify that there is a bad signal.