STB Thread... UPDATE

Addicted To Boost

I found a 91-93 Cutty Vert in my local JY.... it is white exterior with a black top, with black leather interior, 3.1 V6 and auto tranny, very good shape, just a little dirty....

MY QUESTION IS: This vert has a STB, but it has a 3.1 in it.... are the 3.1 vert STB's the same as the 3.4 vert STB's??

Here is a underhood shot of the Cutty vert... sorry for the crappy quality camera phone pic...

56f9a9be56b9.jpeg?_rh=8fz8akybwz2o4ekro77r1f5r

I want VIN, and a guide pin cup... Picture below.

With a black, or rather dark gray, interior it's a '92. 1992 was the only year for miniquads, a graphite interior and the round bar. If it were a 1990-91, it would have a light gray interior and the old style front end.

And they do just as well as a 3.4 bar.

[edit] Good grief, I didn't realize the pic was so big. Either side will work as they are interchangeable I've been told.

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

I believe the differance in the 2 bars is clearance. The 3.4 bar has a cut out to clear the EGR and possibly the coolant purge valve.

Jamie

If I bought it, I would put it in my TGP, so clearance isn't an issue... I just want the strongest, biggest, most effective STB I can get my hands on. Do the 3.1 STB's have a bigger/smaller diameter than the 3.4 STB's?

To be even more technical, round tubing is stronger than square stock. The 3.1 bar MAY be skinnier than the 3.4 bar, but as Matt said, they will be the same.

I hope for your sake it's still there. :lol:

I'm 99% sure it will there.... nobody in this hick town knows what a stb is :lol:

Ok thanks for the input, guys! I'm gonna go get it tomorrow. :cool:

I want the VIN, and a guide pin cup...

Ok I'll get the VIN. but I have no clue what a guide pin cup is...

Ok thanks for the input, guys! I'm gonna go get it tomorrow. :cool:

I want the VIN, and a guide pin cup...

VIN for sure!

I think the 3.1 car is heavier duty than the 3.4 bar, but either will work fine, if they fit.

later 3.1 cars got the revised 3.4 bar anyhow.

the guide pin is where the top closes and is guided into position againt the top of the windshield frame. think vagina. and get them!

I hope for your sake it's still there. :lol:

I'm 99% sure it will there.... nobody in this hick town knows what a stb is :lol:

That's what I thought of around here too. I found a black 3.4 vert in a yard last summer. NOTHING picked off of it except for the STB. I was so pissed lol "what mexican around here knows what this is!?!?!?!" Until I found out that RareGMFan pulled it for me like the day before lol

Thanks Nick. My first post shows the cup's location. You will have to take the sunvisor and trim off to get to it, as well as unlatch the top and raise that a little, which can be done manually. But it's a 3 min job at the most. I will definitely pay you well.

Will do! I'm gonna write myself a note so I don't forget :rolleyes: lol Is it a very big part? Will it fit in my pocket?

Very small. :mrgreen: Will go right into your pocket. Oh yeah, there's a small clip that holds it in.

3f7c_1.JPG

And if you can get both in good shape, that would be awesome too. :D

Very small. :mrgreen: Will go right into your pocket. Oh yeah, there's a small clip that holds it in.

3f7c_1.JPG

Awesome. :cool:

Well I went and got the STB today... it cost me $4 for it! :twisted: I took it home, washed it up, sanded it smooth, and gave it a few coats of paint. Here it is:

MyTGP.jpg

Can't wait to bolt it in the car once its dry! :twisted:

On a side note, I couldn't get the vert top to move, as there was no battery in it, and I couldn't figure out how to move it manually... actually that was my first time actually sitting in a vert... :redface: Sorry guys. If I can get this figured out how to do in my head, I'll definitely pull it for ya the next time I go to the JY.

I did get the VIN for it, it is: 1G3WT34T0ND371277

I also looked at the RPO sheet for it and it was made in May of '92. It was a white vert with a black top, had graphite leather interior, 3.1 auto, and 138,000 miles on it. If anyone has any other questions about it, feel free to ask or comment.

Nick

Probably sent around the same time as mine, it's 198 cars after mine. Cool!

All you do is grab the latches above the front windows and pull them out, then the top can be raised a couple of inches to get to the cups. You can stick something between the top and the windshield to keep it up while you get the cups.

that's a good buy :thumb: I really don't care for the looks of that bar, but like everyone has already said the functionality will be there and you couldn't go wrong for $4