92 CS cladding on 88 CS

Bake82

Hey,

I'm wondering if it's possible to put all the cladding from a 92 CS onto my 88.

I am positive that all the side cladding and rear bumber will work without an issue.

After examing both my 88 and my newly purchased 92 parts car, the front bumber on the 92 is a little taller due to the mini quads. I I do this I want to use my 88 headlights. I will not go to the miniquads. I don't want to hear anybody suggest I should or that they like them better.

Is it possible to take the ribbed cladding off the front bumber to put onto my 88, or am I stuck with having to cut down the 92 bumber to make it fit with the 88 headlights?

Any help woul dbe great thanks!

crazy K will answer this in the morning.... when he cross mounts his own bumpers!!!

no seriously, I like the idea. I'm not a fan of the miniquads.

while the rear bumper mounts fine, are you ging with the 92+ taillights and all?

For the sides, you may have to screw the clips for the siding to you car for the sides...

the wheel trim must be swapped as well.

and then the remaining issue is the front:

the fender from 88-91 and 92-97 are different, but only due to the change in the corner lights and how they mount. the skins are the same.

the hood has the obvious "snout" you must worry about...

the height of the bumper's front lip is also a concern.

You will really have to work to make the front look right. probably the top half of the original with the bottom of the 92+ grafted on.

Yes, it can be done. I can't find the link. But 3100MPFI did it to his '88. Check out Josh's board he's on there.

What happened to the 5speed?

Yes, it can be done. I can't find the link. But 3100MPFI did it to his '88. Check out Josh's board he's on there.

Yep, i saw this car in person just a few days ago, and it looks stock! Other than of course the modified front bumper, but other than that it looks pretty nice.

WOW 3100MPFI is one hell of a leader of our pack! I want to see this picture too! could it be the fate of my 92 to go retro with composite headlights too? :leaving:

composite lights with the later coreners might look neat... I like the old cladding though, what are you doing with it? I want to pick up either a 91 convertible, or any other one and convert it basically to look like Turby's or Shawn's car in convertible form

while the rear bumper mounts fine, are you ging with the 92+ taillights and all?

For the sides, you may have to screw the clips for the siding to you car for the sides...

the wheel trim must be swapped as well.

and then the remaining issue is the front:

the fender from 88-91 and 92-97 are different, but only due to the change in the corner lights and how they mount. the skins are the same.

the hood has the obvious "snout" you must worry about...

the height of the bumper's front lip is also a concern.

You will really have to work to make the front look right. probably the top half of the original with the bottom of the 92+ grafted on.

I'm going with the lip tails/spoiler and reverse bar. I know I can modify the reverse bar so I have a place to the liscene plate if I don't use the 92 rear bumper, but I really want to due to the dual exhaust cutout.

I did not know about the wheel trim. thanks!

I'm not too concerned about the hood as I would make the front bumper match the height so I can keep the snout.

I'm thinking the same thing as you, that the top half of the 88 bumper being grafted onto the bottom part of the 92. By the sounds of it, it's been done before so I know it can be done!

What front lip does the 92 bumper have? is it the extra material added to make up the room betwen the bumper and mini-quads?

What happened to the 5speed?

I sold the 5 speed parts to Rob(Ismellrealbad) 2 weeks ago. Because I bought Invasion1(Davis)'s 92 turbo 5 spd CS for parts as it has a blown motor, but all the turbo parts are still good!

let me check something! * sound of gears turning *

I'm going to measure up severla of the cars outside for details.

Awesome!!

I was looking at 3100MPFI cardomain page and he used the top half of his 88 bumper and put the ribbed cladding from the 92 onto the bottom. here is his page to have a look

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/140968/3

He was living by me when he did all this. I did most of the cladding/bumper painting for him while I was there. The bumper isn't grafted, he just cut the bumper short on the top, to the same level as an '88-91 bumper. It would actually come out better if you do mount the top of the older bumper onto the newer one, since you'll have a lip that goes under the headlights/grille like stock. The other option is to build the lip with fiberglass or resin yourself, which may end up being easier.

that cardomain brings back memories, lol

1st pic on pg 3 in the background is my old '89 International

2nd pic I'm the guy in the car

3rd pic you can see the taillight of my sister's old '93 Cutlass Supreme sedan

He was living by me when he did all this. I did most of the cladding/bumper painting for him while I was there. The bumper isn't grafted, he just cut the bumper short on the top, to the same level as an '88-91 bumper. It would actually come out better if you do mount the top of the older bumper onto the newer one, since you'll have a lip that goes under the headlights/grille like stock. The other option is to build the lip with fiberglass or resin yourself, which may end up being easier.

Gotcha! so he just cut down the 92+ bumper to the right level? Do you know what he cut it with? When you're up close can you tell it's cut???

I think that would be the easiest way, the way he did it. It looks good. Thinking this might be the way I do mine when it comes time!

Gotcha! so he just cut down the 92+ bumper to the right level? Do you know what he cut it with? When you're up close can you tell it's cut???

I think that would be the easiest way, the way he did it. It looks good. Thinking this might be the way I do mine when it comes time!

Yeah, he cut it with something serrated, and yes you can tell. The bumper wants to pop up in the center near the hood espeically without the lip and clips there to keep it down (look closely at the pics). It's like a 5 footer. You can't tell unless you're looking for it. I'm OCD so it would bother me if I owned the car.

Yeah, he cut it with something serrated, and yes you can tell. The bumper wants to pop up in the center near the hood espeically without the lip and clips there to keep it down (look closely at the pics). It's like a 5 footer. You can't tell unless you're looking for it. I'm OCD so it would bother me if I owned the car.

yah that would bother me too.

do you know if the ribbed part of the front bumper is held on with screws/tabs, or is it a molded part of the bumper?

I'm thinking if it was held on with screws/tabs I could simply tranfer onto my 88 bumper.....

if it's part of the bumper I might have to start hacking up some bumpers to make it look good!

it's all 1 piece, so if you split it, the two halves would have to be connected together in some way.

I think his method of cutting it is on the right track. The only thing I would have done is to attach a metal strip (modified L bracket maybe?) to make the lip, urethane over it, sand it and shape it, paint it, and that would be easy to drill holes into in order to use some push clips to hold it to the car.

it's all 1 piece, so if you split it, the two halves would have to be connected together in some way.

I think his method of cutting it is on the right track. The only thing I would have done is to attach a metal strip (modified L bracket maybe?) to make the lip, urethane over it, sand it and shape it, paint it, and that would be easy to drill holes into in order to use some push clips to hold it to the car.

yah that's a good point. why not modify one piece instead of trying to make 1 out of 2.

I like that idea Brian, I've been thinking about it and if his only issue is it sticking out a bit...then I'll just make some brackets to fix that......

Thanks for the help!!

no problem, I like how the style of this retro-fit (is that the right term?) so I'd like to see more of them done like that. I had seen one other Olds in this fashion in a grainy black and white photo, I showed it to him and he went ahead and did it.

nice! yah my dad got me onto it the other day when I got the 92. I'm glad I am not the first to have help along the way, but glad it's not a very common thing to do!

It might be a while until I get the body work done, but it gives me a great idea of what I want to do and what it'll end up looking like!

Thanks man! I really like the look of it. I will be doing this for sure to my car. I just have to decide if I wabnt to go all white or white/grey.

Just talked to 3100MPFI and here are a couple pics of the conversion he did

He and I are hanging out this weekend, you should come!

Yea you bastards! The ONLY Final i have is monday morning at 8AM!! So all my studying will be done this weekend. The final was supposed to be today but got moved back :willynilly: :willynilly:

I'll be heading up to Austin in a couple weekends. Gotta go pay some visitations to my bro up there anyway, so we'll definitely hang out then!