Stalling/starting problem

My wife has a '89 Grand Prix with the 2.8. Last week it stalled on the expressway on her way to work. I was able to get it started after many tries and drove it home. We tried to start it later that day, the engine would turnover just fine, but it seemed like the timing was way off. Sometimes it will turnover and backfire, sometimes it will run rough for a short period and stall, and sometimes it will start just fine and run smooth. The computer does not give any codes. (The fuel pressure is good)

My wife's cousin came looked at the car and he thought the crank position sensor was bad. So, for $15 I changed it, but apparently that wasn't the problem. I am tempted to change the ECM, but I don't want to waste the money if that isn't the problem. I could always take it to a shop, but I don't want to pay for something that I could easily do myself. What do you think?

well my cutty with teh 2.8 did that to i changed alot before i found out but i believe it is either teh 02 sensor or ignition control module the 02 sensor is liek 20 -30 bucks and the ignition is 76.99 at autozone hey and you could take it to autozone do a a diagnostic on it for free there

My '89 Regal with the 2.8L did the same thing -- which is why I couldn't drive it for a year.

My mechanic, Dwight Allen in Waco TX, changed the Intake Air Controller and the Throttle Position Sensor, and the car ran fine.

For a few days. Then he had to replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor.

After that, the car runs (it's been over two weeks, now).

And all the time, my diagnostic flashed "12." Big help.

Hope this helps.

I know that "12" means there are no error codes. But if the IAC, TPS, and CPS were all bad (or any one of them -- after all, the car runs now, after replacement), then the computer should have said something. Not much use as a diagnostic tool.

Is there any way that I can test the IAC or TPS? I don't want to swap out $50 in parts with no fix. But I guess that would be what a mechanic would do too, but charge me $$$!

Oh, I swapped out the ECM for $15, but no help there.