what can be used

FordBoy

someones new name has given him a lot of hostility lately :mrgreen: do you have a symbiote trying to take over you? :lol: :jk:

i dont see how its going to be that hard to get decent power out of it. using the 2.8 block is fine, but youre going to want and different crank, heads, and intakes to get the most power. porting and such to the stock stuff isnt going to get you too far. i would definitely not mess w/ obd-1 though. sure, it might cost more for the obd2 swap and powertuner, but having a custom tuned chip is going to be a pia and you dont have near the flexibilty as the obd2 pcms for rewriting (obviously).

i'm all for having something different, just hope you have the money. youre going to have a hard time picking up chics in a w-body if its beautiful or not, so i dont see why that part would matter.

even if you dont know a lot about choosing the right turbo, its not that hard to research it. experience helps, but it isnt everything. i doubt youre going to get too much technical help on this forum, however.

you gotta take it a little easy and not get all butt-hurt about the negative comments and just take them for what they are. some are valid discouragements. i applaud you for wanting to do something to the car, esp. when you are into fords. good luck. youre definitely going to need to find a good machine shop to help you out.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FordBoy

• pwmin

• digitaloutsider

• Euro

someones new name has given him a lot of hostility lately :mrgreen: do you have a symbiote trying to take over you? :lol: :jk:

i dont see how its going to be that hard to get decent power out of it. using the 2.8 block is fine, but youre going to want and different crank, heads, and intakes to get the most power. porting and such to the stock stuff isnt going to get you too far. i would definitely not mess w/ obd-1 though. sure, it might cost more for the obd2 swap and powertuner, but having a custom tuned chip is going to be a pia and you dont have near the flexibilty as the obd2 pcms for rewriting (obviously).

i'm all for having something different, just hope you have the money. youre going to have a hard time picking up chics in a w-body if its beautiful or not, so i dont see why that part would matter.

even if you dont know a lot about choosing the right turbo, its not that hard to research it. experience helps, but it isnt everything. i doubt youre going to get too much technical help on this forum, however.

you gotta take it a little easy and not get all butt-hurt about the negative comments and just take them for what they are. some are valid discouragements. i applaud you for wanting to do something to the car, esp. when you are into fords. good luck. youre definitely going to need to find a good machine shop to help you out.

ya i planned on changing everything (but not the block)the only prob is i cant find a mpfi intake manifold

is obd II that hard of a swap form obd I

and i thank you for your support what can i say the W's grew on me although im still a FordBoy at heart

I'm going to go out on a limb, and make some assumptions and inferences.

Assumption 1: You are stuck with your '89 Cutlass.

Inference 1: You aren't rolling in money.

Assumption 2: If you had money, you wouldn't still be driving a beat up '89 Cutlass.

Inference 2: Intensive modifications will not occur due to lack of funds.

Assumption 3: You are still in high school, and really don't know enough to do all those modifications.

Inference 3: You won't do those modiciations.

Assumption 4: You really aren't a FordBoy.

Inference 4: You've never had a Ford. In fact, it's really possible this was your first car.

If you're offended, great, this is a public forum. I highly doubt that you have the money or the time to do anything to your Cutlass. Unless it's something really special, say a Vert or TGP, no one is really going to spend that much money on a daily driver W.

I'm going to go out on a limb, and make some assumptions and inferences.

Assumption 1: You are stuck with your '89 Cutlass.

Inference 1: You aren't rolling in money.

Assumption 2: If you had money, you wouldn't still be driving a beat up '89 Cutlass.

Inference 2: Intensive modifications will not occur due to lack of funds.

Assumption 3: You are still in high school, and really don't know enough to do all those modifications.

Inference 3: You won't do those modiciations.

Assumption 4: You really aren't a FordBoy.

Inference 4: You've never had a Ford. In fact, it's really possible this was your first car.

If you're offended, great, this is a public forum. I highly doubt that you have the money or the time to do anything to your Cutlass. Unless it's something really special, say a Vert or TGP, no one is really going to spend that much money on a daily driver W.

no im not stuck with the cutlass i have a car in the feild waiting for a new motor but the body is worse then the cutlass. Plus i like the cutlass

so the people that have a W and have money dont enjoy it?

no i dont have alot of money but im saving i have $600 saved right now

Just because im in high school doesnt mean i dont know how to work on cars

this is the first i have owned legally(registration) i did own a 91 taurus but i totaled it in our field

no i havnt been offended its just your opinion regaurdless of what i have said i just dont care about the opinions i dont agree with you dont like it or want me to do than oh well to bad

well then i guess im the biggest retard you have every met :mrgreen: but i dont care deal with it it my car and i want to do it say what you want i will not change my mind

edit:

i forgot to mention my 1988 ranger xlt tranny went mom got sick of it sitting while i searched for a tranny so she junked it

im still pissed at her about that there was nothing else wrong with it no rust no damage damnit!!

the only prob is i cant find a mpfi intake manifold

A 3.1? Upper or lower? They shouldn't be that hard, since the 3.1 came in about a bagillion GM cars.

the only prob is i cant find a mpfi intake manifold

A 3.1? Upper or lower? They shouldn't be that hard, since the 3.1 came in about a bagillion GM cars.

for performance?

there are no 3.1 "performance" intakes.

anything performance for a 3.1 is going to be custom, and will probably still suck when attached to an old 2.8, doesn't the 2.8 have that goofy ass air cleaner with the MAF sensor?

3400 intake and a 3500 top end swap huh what can i find a 3500 in

you can either buy the shit from 60* or most newer gm cars have them available in some trim level

examples: G6 V6 and GT, Impala LS and ?, Malibu non-SS, etc.

you can either buy the shit from 60* or most newer gm cars have them available in some trim level

Isn't the G6 just the 3600 and 3900? The LT Impala also has the 3500

Isn't the G6 just the 3600 and 3900? The LT Impala also has the 3500

there's no 3600, youre thinking of the bad-ass 3.6 VVT DOHC engine :mrgreen: that comes in the G6 GTP and GXP. the G6 V6 and older GT's get the 3500 and the newer GT's get the 3900 i think (not completely sure about what gets the 3900 anymore)

that would bolt right up huh does that need obd 2 or something newer

pretty much. youre going to want to do obd2 anyway for the easiest way to tune it

to swap? its not any harder than what youre planning on doing to the engine :lol:

i vote turbo 3900 or 3.6 swap :mrgreen: the 3900 is also a 60* but you cant really use the manifold from it.

Guys,

He's asked about turboing his 2.8. I HIGHLY doubt he's interested in a 3900 swap.

Fordboy. If you want to turbo your 2.8 GO FOR IT! It might not put down monster #'s, but IMO it can be done for fairly cheap and add descent power.

Find a TGP set up and go with it. IF you need more power than that look into the 3500 top end swap and and bigger turbo and you'll put down some better #'s and probably still cost less than an L67 swap or whatever these guys are talking about.

Don't let the shit they're posting sway you from what you want to do because if you do follow through with your plans, you'll be more ahead of most people on this forum as far as modding goes!

i was just saying. im not trying to change his mind, but, yeah, if you wanna do it cheap, just get the 3.1 vin M top end. if you want good power without a ton of work, go with the 3500 top end.

btw, i saw a G6 "turboGT" today. wish it wasnt on the interstate and i couldve talked to him.