what can be used

FordBoy

as replacement motor parts? I plan to bore and stoke my 2.8 and im having a very hard time finding parts to replace the stock parts. Cuz imagine that they didnt make performace parts for the 2.8?! i cant believe it :rolleyes: Would a 3800 crank, heads work.im thinking of getting the bore 30 over so then i would need 203mm pistons vs stock 173mm i need parts that can take power cuz i still would like to turbocharge it later on in the "new" motors life. plus a 5spd upgrade.

BTW the rear honda civic buckets are almost done just a bolt here and a weld there

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FordBoy

• pwmin

• digitaloutsider

• Euro

First of all, "30 over" means 30 thousandths of an inch over bore, or .030in, not 30mm. 30mm is more than 1in.

Secondly, no, none of the 3.8 stuff is going to work

Third, if you want to stroke it, just use a 3.1L crank.

90* and 60* together NOPE!

i'd just get a newer low mileage 3400 and bolt that in, it might be a lil more work due to OBDII, but more power and a better platform to start a turbo set up on. Fr the used 3400 with everything you need i could see you spending about $500 so that far outweighs the cost of getting custom pistons and other parts made. JMO later Jay

EDIT ROBBIE BEAT ME TO IT!

Oh and if you are dead set on rebuilding that 2.8 (i don't know why you would) i'd get the bores honed to clean them up and not worry about boring it over, then having to worry about compression for the turbo set-up

uhh, a 3800 is a 90* motor. The 2.8/3.1/3100/3400 etc are 60* motors.

Just do a 3400 or 3800 swap and be done with it. Even I know the 2.8 is worthless in a heavy ass car like mine.

In a chevette or cavalier on the other hand..... :idea:

i meant 3400

fine if you guys think that it is a bad idea i wont let you know the process its that simple. just because you wouldnt do doesnt mean i dont want to

about the way the car looks fuck the looks it will be a "sleeper" look like shit but haul ass

if your sick of seeiing me post about what i want to do to it then dont read it/open it

Boring does nothing, stroking is worhless on that motor, and for the cost of a fucking turbocharger setup, you could have an intercooled L67 that runs low 12's. WHY fuck with the 2.8?!

After doing all that to the 2.8, you just might be able to hang with a slightly modded 5-speed LQ1. Congratulations.

Do you have any concept of the complexity of picking out the right turbo with the right A/R ratios? Do you know what goes into TUNING such an automobile? Do you have the know-how to calculate air/fuel and spark tables?

When it comes right down to it, if you have a naturally aspirated 2.8/3.1, and you want power, as much as it pains me to say it, your best bet is finding a low milage L67/4T65E-HD with all the associated wiring and the PCM and convert your car to OBD-II. Tuning with OBD-I, especially with boost, is a nightmare. Ask the TGP guys.

If you're feeling adventurous, swap to the LQ1 and the 284 and go from there. As I've said in previous threads, the 3.4 DOHC has plenty of untapped potential regarding boost.

The only way I could even fathom doing ANYTHING to a N/A 2.8/3.1 would be if i found a TGP setup for cheap. Other than that, fuck that motor. You're not going to get any power out of it without spending ridiculously large amounts of money. And even then, someone with an LQ1/L67 could spend even HALF that and smoke your ass.

it what i want to do why are you telling me that what i want to do is a waste of time and money. that is your opinion i dont care what anyone says to me about it being stupid or a waste of tiime to mod a 2.8. you dont like it then ignore the post you have that right

i want to be different (not alot of modded 2.8s) everyone throws a l67 in any W and says its the best thing they ever did fine by me. you want to do it i support you. in return i ask that you support me when i tell you what im GOING to do to my motor. people completely redo a 3.1 know says a word to them about it not being worth it. i bring up a 2.8 and i hear its not worth it

they a pretty much the same motor one is just a little bigger stroke.

Bottom line is if you dont like it leave it alone dont put in your input if it is insulting to someone. come on questioning my knowlegde of cars that is an insult to me (IMO) you dont know me im not trying to be a dick about it i just dont want people telling me that i shouldnt do it cause its a waste of time and money. it doesnt affect you so why do you care how or what i do to my car?

well when you ask/tell on a public CAR forum you're going to get people's opinions no matter what. We're not necessarily just hating on you, we're just saying this because it IS worthless to dump all this money into your 2.8 so you can go from high 17's to MAYBE mid/high 16's

thanks again

BTW your telling me that a stock 3400 would have more power then a bored, stroked, turbo, 5spd 2.8 i call bs on that

a stroked 2.8 = 3.1 :wink:

boring a 3.1 30 over = 3.2

a 3.2 with a turbo and a 5 spd does have potential, but why spend so much money to fight with the 2.8/3.1 setup? You should get an LQ1 with a 5 spd and make a custom turbo setup, Now that would be sweet!

I understand having a sleeper is cool, but don't you wanna pick up chicks at the same time? Your car isn't exactly show off material.

come on questioning my knowlegde of cars that is an insult to me (IMO)

Most people who would even think about OMG STROKIN' AND TURBOIN' MAH 2.8 don't know SHIT about either of those processes. They especially don't know a thing about tuning. That's why I jumped to such a conclusion. Anyway. I'm leaving you alone now. Pissing away money is your problem, not mine.

See you at the track.