Top lowering switch

gclose

My 94 convertible suddenly wouldn't lower the top when I pushed the button. Luckily a friend of mine owns a Pontiac dealership and they took the switch apart, cleaned it out, and reassembled it and it's working fine now. My question is since they reminded me that the replacement part's not available does anybody know if this part was shared with any other car in the GM line. The mechanic told me that the only alternative that they had if this didn't hold up was to put in a toggle switch. He knew I didn't want to do that.

This car was my wifes baby and she died three years ago so I'm trying to keep it pristine.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Well, I'll tell ya! If the plastic on it works good, then there is a way to fabricate another switch from that one using parts out of a toggle you can buy at radio shack. Take the entire switch out and go up to the radio shack store. Make sure you go during a weekday early because those guys have been there awhile and can help you with it. I have done something similar before and it works great still (6 years later). I have an old portable radio that still works great, but the power switch went bad. The little plastic push button was still good on it, so I took the entire radio up to Radio Shack. We took apart the switch and found a compatable one from their parts. For the price of about five bucks, I had new guts in the old switch and those guys up there were more than happy to help me because that is where they can have fun at their job.

Good luck with that!

Don

• 1 year later...