lumina speaker size's

Bigwillz

ok i know that the backs are true 6x9's what are the fronts? i dont wanna take the whole dash off an run the new wire and hve the wrong speaker siezes. :twisted:

and what do u think i do for subs in the trunk. i am runnin all new wire and i will have amps for front and rear speakers as well as the subs.

i will be takeing pics, of what i am doing and how i am running it. but i wann just get every thing ran now so i can juts put every thng in and be done. :burnout:

yea its a 94. and why cnat i take my dash out to run all new wire?

you can. just remove the 7mm bolts holding it in place, they are all along the rear edge of the dash, above the insturments....

There really is no need to replace the stock wiring unless your's is bad, you had bose, or your amplifing them.

So there's no advantage to running higher quality wiring? I'm genuinely curious here.

There really is no need to replace the stock wiring unless your's is bad, you had bose, or your amplifing them.

So there's no advantage to running higher quality wiring? I'm genuinely curious here.

Yeah, same here... Factory 22 - 18 gauge wiring is too small for one, and it's also of very low quality copper with large strands... If you have an aftermarket HU, then he is already aplifying it well over what the factory put out (which was around 3-6 wrms per channel with high impedence speakers)

Yes, it is 20 guage wiring. The strand count isn't as horrible as you put it, but for the low amount of output that most aftermarket decks have(17-20 watts RMS), that 20 guage wire is more than sufficient.

• 2 weeks later...

On my 93 Lum i cut holes in the doors for my 6.5" comp set. I put the mids in the doors and the tweets on the dash. There is plenty of space on those doors to put the speakers and they will soud way better than any 4x6.

Advantage- newer wire, the ability to upgrade to a more powerful system later. Think about it, it's right about 13.5 volts and maybe 1.5 amps. Do you really need a thick ass wire to hold 1.5 amps of current. No. It would be pointless. And, copper is copper. Granted, with a bit higher quality wire, you do get a higher strand count(a good thing), but hell, I have two pieces of 0 guage sitting right here beside me, right now. Audiopipe and Rapter. I consider Audiopipe along the side of cheap, and I have heard people recommend Rapter. Yet, when I compare the two wires side by side, the Audiopipe has a good 200-300 MORE strands of wire inside the insulation. The Rapter 0 guage could be used for 4 guage if they took off some of the insulation.

Lemme add this is, I'm definately not saying running larger guage wire isn't a bad thing, but it can be overdone. If your using an aftermarket HU to power your speakers, and thats it, 16 guage is more than sufficient. But, in all reality, the stock 20 guage will work just fine.

Wow, I realize I just fubared that all up, considering I did that in DC, when in all reality, your speaker signal is in AC.

20 W RMS is right about 28.3 W Peak. At that low amount of wattage, thats right about 4.5-5 Amps of draw. Going from the wiring information listed on http://www.the12volt.com:

Power & Ground Cable Specs

Cable Size Current Capacity

Wire Gauge Amperage (amps)

1/0 350

2 225

4 150

8 100

10 60

12 40

14 25

16 15