Rear Window Replacement

95 BLKDOUT Drop Top

Ok so I need to replace my rear window on my 95 vert.. yes the one that folds with the top. All the glass companies around here either dont do cutlasses or wanna charge $500-$600 and thats just too much!! so im trying to figure out how to do it myself. can anyone help me?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 95 BLKDOUT Drop Top

• Afubar

• Psych0matt

• Crazy K

the only manuals i see on ebay are for the 90-92 verts, mine is a 95, wait arent the 92-95 cutlasses the same body. i think the first year for the upgraded body was 92 so i think that manual may work. now whats the supplement?

the only manuals i see on ebay are for the 90-92 verts, mine is a 95, wait arent the 92-95 cutlasses the same body. i think the first year for the upgraded body was 92 so i think that manual may work. now whats the supplement?

there were no real changes. 91-95 tops are certainly the same, but I have not learned enough about the 90 CS vert yet. the 92 manual should cover the top info... and... If a strange man offers you candy, I say take it!

I have put one of these in before but I forgot how lemme ask my Dad later if he remembers how we did it, I think its bolted in from the top???

Thats It? I figured it wasnt too hard but damn! i just dont like to jump into a project blind with no guide just incase i screw up. anyone got any pics of these bolts where they are actually located. Is it glued in the rest of the way?

the glass is mounted in a shroud. the top of the shroud is held by three straps that run to the middle hoop. those are held by 3 brakets, each with 2 screws.

the bottom is stapled in place. to access the staples you must remove the trim piece with the 3rd brakelight and possibly the pieces that traverse the side.

So, Ken, clarification: Can you do this without removing the top itself? I forget what we were saying when I mentioned it once when we were doing something.

also, i think they're like 200$ on ebay

sounds like all u gottaa do is take out the head liner, take off them trim pieces in the back, pull out the staples and the whole window with the fabric and all comes straight out. i think the top material is two pieces, one for the rear window and one big ass piece for the rest of the top. may be a piece of cake, may be a disaster... im gonna go for it as soon as i get a glass

i think the top material is two pieces, one for the rear window and one big ass piece for the rest of the top.

that's correct, but i was thinking that you had to do the rear window piece with the top off, but i hope im wrong so that I can do my rear window right away, and just do the rest of the top summer of 08, so that way i dont have to drive around all summer with it hanging open still until i can afford it all

i think the top material is two pieces, one for the rear window and one big ass piece for the rest of the top.

that's correct, but i was thinking that you had to do the rear window piece with the top off, but i hope im wrong so that I can do my rear window right away, and just do the rest of the top summer of 08, so that way i dont have to drive around all summer with it hanging open still until i can afford it all

thats cool. I busted my window in june 06, been busted ever since. luckaly i got two other cars i can use when the weather is bad or else i would have been had the window fixed. as a result of not seein any adverse weather (not eveen clouds) my cutlass has been spotless since june. We had good weather all last summer so the top never went up, matter of fact i got it parked under a cover in my garage since november and the top is still down. The only reason Im trying to hrry up and fix it is because I need to get this alarm for it and im driving it to daytona beach in april... with 172,000 miles on it might i add

So, Ken, clarification: Can you do this without removing the top itself? I forget what we were saying when I mentioned it once when we were doing something.

also, i think they're like 200$ on ebay

I think you can. you must put the top like 1/2 up to reach those screws, and slacken the headliner. you don;t necessarily have to remove the headliner.

Personally If I do this, I'd like add quick release straps connectors to the straps. I wish the window was removeable.

i dont kno if i like that idea too much. Where would the window go? From my understandin the top is the only part thats really gonna be able to be moved and the bottom is stapled [permanently] in place, so it would jus kinda lay on the back seaat over the stow away area. kinda tacky if you ask me. Good concept bad execution.

i know my cavalier convertible had the plastic window, and it unzipped all the way around, and basically layed down like that. i think it would be different with glass, but the glass goes down like that with the top down anyways, so as long as you're careful...

It would be a great idea if the whole thing was removable, god only knows how many hot sunny days i wish that back window came completly out to get some air flow. But then again, i did just spend all of summer 06 with no back window... It looked awkward if you ask me, but it worked wonders because i never had to use my a/c (even tho it needed to be recharged) but like i posted b4, my top was down just about every single day.

I never use my ac anyways, top down all the way. I do need a new compressor, but the only time i could think of wanting to use the ac was when it started raining on like an 85* day

• 2 months later...

so im putting in that window today, only qustion is gettin that rear trim piece (with the third brake light) off. where are the screws?

You are all gods in my book! The window section is separate?!?! I am down with that! That window section is the only bad part of my entire top. There is a tear in the vinyl now right there under the window.

Damn, I am stoked now!

95 BLKDOUT Drop Top, can you give a detailed how you did it along with picts? Mine has been loose at the bottom for a year now, I'd glued it once and had it last about a year, but sure would love to replace it.

Thanks!!