Custom trunk lid liner; DIY page 7

slick

I can't exactly think of the correct name for this right now, but when someone does post it, i'll change the title of the thread.

Anyways, some people have posted up pictures of there trunk, and the inside of there trunk lid, they have a custom liner that(I'm assuming is made out of MDF) but usually has like GTP, or some emblem sticking out of it. I know the jist of how to make it, but how do they stay up against the trunk lid? Every one that I have seen never has any visible screws, bolts, or clips.

Thanks,

Chris

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• slick

• 97loudcut

• 19Cutlass94

• Psych0matt

Wood blocks they shove up into the little cutouts on the trunk lid. The panel is then screwed to that.

So are the screws visible, or do they cover the liner once it is on the trunk lid?

So.... looks like they use some 3m heavy duty double sided tape then, right? It also appears there's are just a pressed formed carpet or foam covered carpet, right? If so, the 3m tape won't hold up the MDF very well :lol:

im going to be making mine soon, heres how im doin it... im going to take some particle board shit, and screw that into the trunk lid, then... im takin wood pieces and makin it say "Oldsmobile" or "Cutlass" or something.. you take those wood pieces and screw them into the particle board before you attach it to the trunk.. then you buy a can of 3m hi-strength spray glue from lowes or home depot, and spray the wood and the carpet or whatever you decide to use (i'm using red suede). let it sit for a minute, and then press the carpet onto the particle board and move out the wrinkles untill your satisfied.. once your done pressing it on the particle board, you can immediately attach it to the trunk lid. THE END.. let me know if you dont understand or have any questions..

Wait, so how are you going to idependantly going to attach it to the trunk lid if you already have it screwed to the trunk lid and your covering your screw holes with the suede.

I know how to make it, i'm just more concerned about how it will attach, and how well it will stay attached to the trunk lid.

So.... looks like they use some 3m heavy duty double sided tape then, right? It also appears there's are just a pressed formed carpet or foam covered carpet, right? If so, the 3m tape won't hold up the MDF very well :lol:

its NOT double sided tape...its more like a velcro type press and lock...

http://www.313motorsports.com/resyuh/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=53

its NOT double sided tape...its more like a velcro type press and lock...

http://www.313motorsports.com/resyuh/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=53

I tried opening that page when I was on the website, but it wouldn't work for me. I wonder how much that stuff costs.

nooooooo... what you do is first attach the wood pieces to the particle board, acutally i'll probably just hot glue the wood pieces onto the particle board.. and then you take the hole entire particle board and pieces attached and attach it to the trunk lid, then carpet it..

So your carpeting it once it's on the trunk lid then? Eh.... I'll find another way of doing it. I'd rather carpet it off of the trunk lid, that way i can be sure to get it done right, and not have to worry about the damn trunk lid falling while I'm working on it.

yeah, another way of doin it is to carpet it while its off the car, and then you screw it on and take a small piece of carpet and put it over the screws.. kinda like a cap...

Yeah, I've thought of that also. I have a few other idea's floating around in my head about how to hold it on, but only time will tell because it will all depend on how heavy it is.

well, i dont care if it helps you or not! :rolleyes: :wink: idk, i made one out of cardboard and carpet once and it didnt last long at all (obviously) :lol: i used friction fittings to hold it to the trunk (had to drill holes) and it didnt work too well. maybe the gp ones would fit your trunk lid and you can get them to do any wording you want, but its gonna cost. you can email the guy from the website and see how they fasten theirs.

local audio shops will make you one for pretty cheap if you put thier name on it. Then u go home and cut out GP or a bowtie and "re-do" it and have one custom made for the price they charge. The local place around my buddy does it for $50 bucks

I will probably make mine out of 1/4" MDF.

My plan is to cut the MDF to the desired shape that I want, then using the push in style clips that hold in the trunk liner(you know those little pop in plastic clips), then drill the holes in the MDF where the push clips need to go through(gotta be sure to pick up some long ones). Then, pull the MDF back down, put my desired design onto it, carpet it, make the holes for the push clips through the carpet, and pop it into place on the trunk lid.

BTW, we have the heavy duty 3m velcro tape at work, so I can use that on the edges to control rattling!