Won't start. Fuel Pump. Please help.

Schudini

Ok, so I've done a search and read a lot of threads. Here is the problem.

Fuel pump won't prime when I turn on the key. Cranking (and reading oil pressure) but no starting. No fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Swapped relays and checked ALL the fuses. Pulled the negative terminal off the battery and let it sit 10 minutes (to reset ECU, etc.). Still no priming or starting.

My first priority is to make sure the fuel pump works.

Reading old threads, I came across the following (quoted from GP1138)

"It's not a jumper, it's a red plug that I push up against the remote positive terminal to see if it primes. I'd try that. Also, perhaps the TPS is bad, sending a WOT signal and causing it to be in "clear flood" mode? Although you'd think the fuel pump would still prime if you turn to on. Shrugging Just a thought."

OK, so I found a wire (that does not seem to belong to anything) near the remote positive terminal that has a red connector (female blade-type). Is this the priming wire? I am assuming from the above statement that I should put +12V to it (from the remote positive terminal) in order to prime the fuel pump.

IS THIS CORRECT? I don't want to fry something.

Is there any other way to put power to the fuel pump from the relay connector? I've used my multimeter to test voltages from the relay sockets and found one (the orange wire) that was at +12V, the others were at 0V (key was off). Don't have another person to turn the key while I check the voltages.

From reading old threads, list of things to check...

Check wires going to fuel pump for voltage.

Check wires going to fuel pump for possible shorting.

Check/replace fuel filter.

I want to try everything possible before replacing the fuel pump.

Thanks for the help.

yeah, that lead that doesnt go to anything is the pump tester. Try that. But, I'm betting that it's the pump. If it's not priming after trying the tester then something is wrong.

You should try tapping on the FP relay and seeing if the car will start. The FP relay on my old Loomie was acting goofy on me (confirmed by the "tap on it with a screwdriver" test) and all it took to get it working properly was removing it, sanding down the contacts, bending them out slightly and reinstalling it...

Well, I tried to prime the fuel pump using the red wire. No good.

Using the multimeter, I checked the wiring and was getting +12V at the fuel pump connector. So I'm going to replace the fuel pump.

Are there any tools or techniques to getting the fuel and vent hoses off? It's tight in there and can get any tools to pry or grab. Taking the rear wheel off helped with access, but the hoses are old and stubborn.

Thanks.