• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Z34Conv

• GnatGoSplat

• 19Cutlass94

• Cam'ron

never seen that on ebay before... looks like i was wrong on the SS though: doesn't have a 327, its a 325 with a completely different bore/stroke setup. think i read that on moretec.com.

• 1 year later...

bringin this back. i too have thought about this possible swap. FWD of course... none of this sideways engine b/s.

I wsas thinking a 307 out of a 84 Olds Toronado... something along those lines. All accessories like a/c and whatnot ould be removed because who needs that shit in a convertible. Ive read through this forum so dont bother repeating yourself with "it'll be to much custom fab....go by a rwd v8 car... yadayadayada.

For people who are actually UNAFRAID to do crazy things...please answer...

Radiator and what not would obviously need to be moved but thats not really an issue, tranny well would need to be banged out a bit..etc

Now the hard part.... transmission itself. because the 3.4's are floor mounted shifters. what tranny would i likely need to use? since most 80's v8 were column shifters.

what tranny would i likely need to use? since most 80's v8 were column shifters.

Doesn't matter, you can replace the linkage and make any column shifter to a floor shift.

TH350 is what I recommend.

Like previous posts said, your best bet is get the Northstar V8 (already provisions for FWD) or the 5.3 V8 from a wrecked car that appeared in the GP GXP and Monte SS V8 - that engine had accessory drives specifically designed for a transverse FWD install...plus it was engineered for the W-body (3rd Gen?).

The old 1st SBC has bulkier drive acessories that were intended for RWD installations, and you'd really have to hack the car up to get it fitting in there.

bringin this back. i too have thought about this possible swap. FWD of course... none of this sideways engine b/s.

I wsas thinking a 307 out of a 84 Olds Toronado... something along those lines. All accessories like a/c and whatnot ould be removed because who needs that shit in a convertible. Ive read through this forum so dont bother repeating yourself with "it'll be to much custom fab....go by a rwd v8 car... yadayadayada.

Radiator and what not would obviously need to be moved but thats not really an issue, tranny well would need to be banged out a bit..etc

Now the hard part.... transmission itself. because the 3.4's are floor mounted shifters. what tranny would i likely need to use? since most 80's v8 were column shifters.

again to quote someone on here.... holy necro post batman

bringing this one back from the dead

like i said, its just a though, the car will be off the road for winter, so i thought it would be neat. id wrather do this than spend 1000's on aftermarket parts for a 3.4. i plan on keeping the car since its so unique in its own way. gonna look around for engine pricing.

again to quote someone on here.... holy necro post batman

bringing this one back from the dead

At least he actually uses the search function unlike some others.