V8 Conversion ideas

Z34Conv

I'd like to get some ideas from you guys for putting a Small Block Chevy into a wbody. I see that a few people have either done it or have at least talked about it but all I got was info for the cadillac engine or the new gxp engine. I want to know about swapping in an older sbc like a camaro tpi engine. I can get an adapter to bolt the engine to the trans but if you guys have any ideas that could help me out I'd really appreciate, Thanks.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Z34Conv

• GnatGoSplat

• 19Cutlass94

• Cam'ron

i would think an older 90* v8 would be too big plain and simple, but as with most anything if you have then time and money you could most likely get it done. other than the supersleeper aspect why is my question, the other thing that would kill you is IMO you would have a very hard time trying to keep the tranny from grenading on you if you build any amount of extra power into the SBC

There's a couple of reasons that I want the v8. One I gotta have that v8 sound, I've been driving for this long without a running V8, its definately time to get one. Second I need a front wheel drive vehicle for winter so a wbody will work just fine for a couple of seasons, it will also be my daily driver in the summer. I dont want to put a ton of miles on the Z. Since it will be a winter car I want it to be relatively low power, something around 250-300hp. Really, its not meant for much other than the cool factor and the obligatory, Why Not? I've got two sbc engines laying around that could easily be rebuilt into a very nice engine and I've got a line on a Z34 with engine and trans problems. I hear the 4T65e can be bolted in and will hold to 300hp. Basically, I've got the parts and the tools and I just barely have room for another project so I might as well.

I think it's more the fact that the timing cover, accessories such as waterpump, alt, etc. stick out way farther on RWD engines (since there is more room), doing such a conversion on say a 350ci would be a ton of work, IF possible. You're better finding a FWD "ready" engine and attempting to squeeze it in, if you are dead set on a V8.

of course it wont sound the same cruising down the road. But honestly, if your going to try to swap in a v8, all the custom work thats needed, your better off buying a car that has a v8 in it to begin with.

There aren't any cars in that year range that have v8s and are fwd so I have to make something. so far this swap seems the easiest. Of course nothing is going to be 100% bolt together, plug and play. but this is close.

awww cmon you could probably stretch the front track and have it looking like something from the NOPI tour but then there goes your sleeper look

the only way to put a sbc into a w is to convert it to rear drive, it WILL NOT fit transversely

the problem is the structure of the car won't allow it. there is no pulley system for the SBC that will work unless you can machine a balancer into a combo balancer/serpentine pulley, mount the alternator and p/s pumps as far back to get it to work(no easy task), machine the block for fittings for a remote electric water pump, etc... can you tell i've thought about this some?

it's by far not the easiest swap, by far the easiest is the 4.9 cadillac and you can get it up to 250-300hp like you're looking for. either way you're just making a nose heavy car more heavy up front. i'm not sure if you've ever looked at a GM FWD setup, but a good 70% of the weight of the motor is in front of the front wheel centerline, dumping 600+ lbs of small block up there won't help any and you'll probably wind up plowing through turns.

Your right, I havn't seen one, outside of pics. Reason is that I dont want to buy a car that wont do what I want it to. If you guys say it works then I almost believe you. I'm going to the yard tomorrow and I'll do some measuring to see what I want to do. I'll make the decision after I see it for myself. and if it doesn't work I'll just go back to my mopar:biggrin:

Your right, I havn't seen one, outside of pics. Reason is that I dont want to buy a car that wont do what I want it to. If you guys say it works then I almost believe you. I'm going to the yard tomorrow and I'll do some measuring to see what I want to do. I'll make the decision after I see it for myself. and if it doesn't work I'll just go back to my mopar:biggrin:

Wait, they just said the SBC wouldn't fit? There was a company that made a kit for the Cadillac V8 awhile back but I have no idea what happened to them or anything. I remember the V8 Lumina. I think their name was like ASG or some shit?

I'm pretty sure the SBC won't fit for the length reasons that others mentioned.

Those tranny bolt pattern adapters typically add at least another inch to the length, which makes it worse.

Timing cover, pulleys, and accessories are the main problem. Take a good look at an FWD V8 timing cover and you'll see it's a lot flatter and spaces out the accessories to the sides instead of being in front of the engine like a RWD car. It's not unusual to see the intake manifold designed with a little space for the PS pump to set in. Pulleys are also a lot flatter. The water pump is considerably flatter in a FWD V8.

Maybe an LS4 timing cover can be modified to fit an SBC? But then you'd still have the problem of the bolt pattern adapter adding an inch. You could maybe get the block re-machined to an FWD pattern?

I just got an email back from the adapter company and they said they make an adapter that will work. Now I just have to get the stupid thing to fit. I was going to get those measurements today, but it doesn't look like the weather is going to cooperate so It'll have to wait. I'm trying to find ways to reduce the length, I'll let you know what I come up with.