lookng for a filler or some kind of putty...

CSI_MuNkY

Hey,

As some of you know, I'm building a custom center console to go between the rear bucket seats I installed. I was thinking about using fiberglass, but thats too much work. I recently had to build a model of a building for school and have 4'x4' left over of 1mm styrene plastic. The great thing about this stuff is with a little bit of heat you can mold and shape it to just about any contour. So I'm thinking about starting with the chopped up front console I have and extending it with the styrene.

So on with the question... what would be the best filler to use on this? I used a body filler on my dash panels and can now see slight cracks and distortion where that was done (assumingly from shrinkage after I thought it was cured and probably a bit of flexing). Is there a certain filler? maybe some sort of epoxy I could use? I'm trying to avoid using FG or anything of that nature... If someone can suggest something the cracks might just get repaired this winter with the same stuff.

I know styrene is a tempermental material, its a very soft plastic that doesn't like paints and fillers that contain acetone or other hot chemicals, so before I put any filler on it I am going to seal it.

Thanx

Jamie

I'd stick with plexiglass. otherwise the next time it gets really hot in your car your rear console may warp under it's own wieght!

LoL... I thought about that... once I have the general shape I am going to back it up with some wood blocks inside the console....

Its not THAT soft, I kept the roll of the stuff in my car for about 2 weeks with no problems, didn't even hold the shape of the roll when I cut the tape around it!

I think I'm going to try and track down this evercoat stuff, although I have had problems finding evercoat in the past... anyone know where I can find it? (in canada)

Jamie