what seems to be the problem here

intern8tion9l

so recently i bought all 4 wheel bearings for my car. the rear has been needing for like 2 years so i finally changed them today. what a difference! had some snags along the way, but the back is so smooth and quiet now! my issue however is with the front. the driver's side is making a pretty loud hum, one that i can feel in the steering wheel if you can picture it. i diagnosed this as a wheel bearing, but i'm having second thoughts. i've noticed that going over bumps it will make a fairly loud click, and rattle like crazy if there are a lot of bumps together. also, if i'm driving next to something solid, like a retaining wall, i can hear this chirping sound. could this be a bad cv joint or something? i'm supposed to take the car on a pretty long trip tonight, and now i'm worried. any thoughts appreciated

Guest TurboSedan

did you check for play in the wheel bearings yet? when one of mine went bad i could look at the backside of the hub while my brother shook the wheel...TONS of play in the bearing. it was really noisy over bumps but i never did get any squealing or vibrations.

i didn't check that yet, i was flyin solo around the house today. i don't know what the chirping sound is, don't even know if its from the front...just what seems to be a logical guess. i dream of the day this will stop being a project car

well the bearings are great in there, quietest my car has been in years. however there is now a horrible clicking/grinding sound coming from the driver's front. can't wait to see what that is when i get under the car. she survived about 1000mi road trip this weekend, although barely i think. it is now smoking tremendously as well.

i dream of the day this will stop being a project car

you know the answer to that one.

i sure do. the list gains like 3 things for every 1 i take off

you have or haven't replaced the LF bearing? I dunno if it's causing your clicking sound but if it's bad enough to heat up and smoke, you'll definetly be able to visually tell it's bad. My friend's '93 Cutlass toasted one like that and it fell apart when we removed it.

i have replaced the LF. the hum is gone, but this sound is new i think.

I have the same noise from one or two of my rear wheel bearings. I just wish I didn't have to replace an entire hub to fix the goddamn bearing.

actually it is pretty easy as long as the bolts come out. only downfall is that they are a little costly