2nd Gen STB EDIT: Pics Page 3 & 4

runt

So it's about time I do SOMETHING to the GP. Figured easiest would be a Front STB. I found one from "Otto Racing" on Procarparts.com for like $50 but didn't check shipping cost. Should I go this route, or try to see how much one from a Dealer is? I believe that I would have to ask for a 97+ Regal one, cuz I don't think that the GP's came stock with them. Then again, I could be wrong. Also think it would be worth my while to look in a J/Y or just go new?

Thanks!

oh noes...not the zzp discussion again!...

anywayz, you can buy the Buick F-Bar and get the ZZP brackets, but those brackets are a rip-off IMO...you can get a STB from PFYC, ZZP, Wbodystore, etc...but its gonna be more than $50, i can tell you that...i think the F-Bar itself is like $20 or so, you'll just have to drill holes in the top of your strut tower to mount it...

Just found this one GMPartsDirect.com

Part Number: 12498648

DESCRIPTION: STRUT TOWER BRACE KIT

For use on 1999 - 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo; 2000 - 2002 Chevrolet Impala; 1997 - 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix. These are production Buick strut tower braces designed to minimize body flex. The kit includes two strut tower braces, hardware, and installation instructions. The part number for one strut tower brace only is 12456148.

Sale Price: $20.29

Fuck, I might just order it and see what it is. Even if I have to get other brackets, or even machine them...that isn't a big deal...

EDIT: D'OH! I just re-read your post Terry, and realized you just said what I posted. Even so...I can score some J/Y brackets and drill them if I'm really THAT worried about it. Maybe I'll do that....

Fuck, I might just order it and see what it is. Even if I have to get other brackets, or even machine them...that isn't a big deal...

...I can score some J/Y brackets and drill them if I'm really THAT worried about it. Maybe I'll do that....

If you go junkyard hunting, I think you'll find that the 2nd gens didn't come with brackets. On another forum, you can find a few pictures of owner's custom made ones for ideas; at least one member there also sells them.

If you're wondering how the factory mounts them, here's a pic of mine (the police cars came with them).

(excuse the uncleanliness)

STB.jpg

Guest TurboSedan

anywayz, you can buy the Buick F-Bar and get the ZZP brackets, but those brackets are a rip-off IMO...you can get a STB from PFYC, ZZP, Wbodystore, etc...but its gonna be more than $50, i can tell you that...i think the F-Bar itself is like $20 or so, you'll just have to drill holes in the top of your strut tower to mount it...

what's the problem with the ZZP brackets? are they just too expensive or are there fitment problems or something?

i want to get the F-bar for my Regal but i don't want to drill holes. too bad they didn't get them factory until '99 :(

Runt, might as well get the GMPP kit w/ two bars...since you can easily put one on the back too....its only like $1 more....

That is what i got my bro for Christmas for his '00 GP GT

you should get the whole handling upgrade package for 2nd gens... $127 for front and rear sway bars, front STB (the one in question), and tubular trailing arms cannot be beat

Runt, might as well get the GMPP kit w/ two bars...since you can easily put one on the back too....its only like $1 more....

Thats the same one from GMPartsDirect, correct? What was the install like?

what's the problem with the ZZP brackets? are they just too expensive or are there fitment problems or something?

i want to get the F-bar for my Regal but i don't want to drill holes. too bad they didn't get them factory until '99 :(

well, first off, they're like $40 shipped for a hunk of metal with 4 holes in it...2nd, not sure about the fitment on 2nd gens, but i had to slot my bar on the 1st gen to it to fit correctly...so its not bolt-up like they are advertising..also, there MAY be an issue with the bar actually hitting on the hood!...i didnt pay much attention on my cutlass, but another member is having issues...

Thats the same one from GMPartsDirect, correct? What was the install like?

I drilled my bros front STB just like the factory has it.....put some siliocone on the back side to keep water from getting to the bare metal afterwards....

the rear, was EASY.....no labor intensive like GMPP says.....

ya drill one hole on each side a tad bigger, and boom, slides right on.

Not to hread jack, but wasn't there a discussion a long time ago as to whether any of the GMPP parts for 2nd gens would fit a 1st gen car?

what are you looking for?...i know the GMPP tubular trailing arms will fit the 1st gens...and i know the F-Bar will fit if u drill holes or u buy those brackets from ZZP...

what are you looking for?...i know the GMPP tubular trailing arms will fit the 1st gens...and i know the F-Bar will fit if u drill holes or u buy those brackets from ZZP...

Sweet! Now, will the front/rear sway bars fit a 1st gen as well, or do I have to go Z34 hunting in a JY?

Sweet! Now, will the front/rear sway bars fit a 1st gen as well, or do I have to go Z34 hunting in a JY?

that is something i DUNNO...i doubt those will work, since i know the rear uses a completly different spring/strut

Alright....I am just about done putting the Front STB in. Had to re-paint it, but I'm fun like that.

Anyway...after reading the directions for the Rear install, it says I have to remove the strut carts. Is this true? I know I have to remove the one bolt from the top, but I guess to get the "new" stud in there I'd have to do that, or can I just get lucky and reach my hand up in the wheel well and find the hole? I'm thinking not. If anyone has done this on the rear, please let me know what you did. I just don't want to end up screwing something up.

Thanks!

Alright....I am just about done putting the Front STB in. Had to re-paint it, but I'm fun like that.

Anyway...after reading the directions for the Rear install, it says I have to remove the strut carts. Is this true? I know I have to remove the one bolt from the top, but I guess to get the "new" stud in there I'd have to do that, or can I just get lucky and reach my hand up in the wheel well and find the hole? I'm thinking not. If anyone has done this on the rear, please let me know what you did. I just don't want to end up screwing something up.

Thanks!

dude, it took me 10 minutes tops to put my bro's rear stb in.....open the trunk, and look at the strut towers...then hold the fbar up there and see which bolts it fill fit on to. take the nuts off those bolts and put the bar on , the tighten the nuts back on.

U have to enlarge teh holes in the bar a tad.