front springs(should I upgrade them or leave stock)

bladekinslayer

Hey there, got a 92 cutlass supreme convertable and from looking on the main pages spring chart. I found I have the FUY springs in the front. Closer to the lower end of the list.

Now my question is should I move up a bit in the chart with regards to the front springs, and if so how high can i go? Or should I leave them where they are.

The suspension is a FE3 with a RDN rear mono leaf.

I was thinkin jumping the front up a couple to a FWW spring.

I don't want the height to change, or go for some crazy aftermarket spring. This is just a daily driver, that would like to handle the corners a bit better.

T.I.A.

If you want to upgrade, upgrade! I'm not sure how noticeable a stock spring change will be as far as handling is concerned though. I'd go for the highest rate that's still available if I were looking to upgrade...

You can readily find code FUX springs. They give a good ride height (my car has them) and handling is probably the best out of all the other springs that came out of the plant. You can find these on most FE3/FE7 cars with the pushrod engines. FE3 cars with the twin cam mostly got FUY, probably because of the little added weight.

You can readily find code FUX springs. They give a good ride height (my car has them) and handling is probably the best out of all the other springs that came out of the plant. You can find these on most FE3/FE7 cars with the pushrod engines. FE3 cars with the twin cam mostly got FUY, probably because of the little added weight.

Yeah the FUX springs are a 'dime-a-dozen'.

But having a convertable, they are heavier. So I don't think I would chose those. The FUY are discontinued from GM :(

The only ones I've found are the FXT,CJK,FYA from GM. But not sure how much they might change the ride hieght.

I do like the way the car sits stock. Lowering/raiseing the car is just not for me.

My only other thought was to get a coil over design, but I used to own a camaro that had them and was never impressed by them, at that time.

But you did give me another clue on my search with the twin cam getting the FUY springs. Will help on my hunt.

Thanks.

You wouldn't happen to know what the other 3 spring mentioned above came out of?

I'll be doing the brake upgrade to the front, got the strut/knuckle assem. and everything else needed, but the springs.

Did the rear brakes this week with the e-brake upgrade aswell. So nice not to have that crappy ole 'ratcheting' e-brake! Nice improvement just from the bigger rear rotors.

That e-brake mod was a BITCH though! Not much room under there..... Even less when ya got a big ass wire harness for the convert. top coming down in the same area.

lol ;)

BTW, that's a dam fine cutty! Nice and clean looking.

Thanks :) So you installed the newer E-brake pedal? I thought that involved modifying or adding to the mounts on the body. Cool that you got it in though! I'm not sure what cars those other codes would be found in, so I can't comment on the ride height.

Thanks :) So you installed the newer E-brake pedal? I thought that involved modifying or adding to the mounts on the body. Cool that you got it in though! I'm not sure what cars those other codes would be found in, so I can't comment on the ride height.

I just got a pedal out of a 95- 96 regal or lumina, can't quite remeber, took all the cables from front to rear with it.

Then went here for the ebrake info.

http://www.tpsgarage.com/TGP/brakes/rear_brake_upgrade.htm#Parking%20Brake

If you look @ the pic he gives on the ebrake, it's pretty close to what i did.

Starting @ point A it lined up perfect, no mod.

Point B needed to be bent down slightly & added 2 nuts + 1 washer for a spacer.(easier than dealing with a shit load of washers. Total shim length was bout 2 1/4 inches. Found a long enough bolt to use in it's place of the factorys.

Ponit C was the hardest. He said to bend the tab over. I Didn't like this idea because ribs used on the plate for reinforcment didn't give a nice bend.

So i cut it at about the same length as point A's length(just eye balled it) then welded the tab that was cut off with the bolt hole into the position i needed. Lots of trial and error to get the correct hieght of the tab. Then instead of using a 'j-clip' or foldover bolt as he called it for the hole i drilled in @ point c in the car . I shoved a long bolt through the backside and used a retaining clip to hold the bolt in place.

That way when point a was bolted in i had a good anchor at point c.

Easy to get the spacer in at point b and have evrything line up.

err, I think that's what i did? :confused:

Ussually just do it @ the time. Have to think hard about what I've done.

lol :mrgreen:

I didn't have my camera at the time I was doing the mod, but when I'm done doing some other things to the car, I was planning on trying to get in there to take some pics of my whole experinace with the r.brake upgrade & ebrake.