Changed my Trans Filter today.

Jeorge

Well after getting sick of my car acting up I went and Bought a Trans Filter and 6 QT dex III and a pint of SeaFOam trans tune

it took me all of 30Mins TO Change the Filter with manual tools..

and what I discovered is there was some supper fine metal shavings in the bottom...not to much but enough for maybe a1/6 of the pan....is this normal the magnet have its usual lines of shavings to nothing really big but enough to notice...I know when I did my Friends Filter a while back on his Lumina the bottom was covered in the same shavings .... it only took me one Rag to clean my pan and 4-5 to clean his...heck my Rag was still usable to clean the bolts to give you an IDEA....

well I took the car for a Drive before changing it and it was Messing up really bad...I checked the Level and it was Full I pulled my Pan seen a small dent pouned that out cleaned it and scraped the gasket off that and the Trans... Pulled the filter and installed my new one...

added 1QT and the SeaFoam then added 3More. thinking I would only need a half QT I took it for a spin to get it though the gears...got back added a half and it was still low so I added the whole QT so now Im up to 5.5qt of stuff then I took it for a spin and it was alot better and then when Parked I checked it again and checked for leaks no leaks but was still no fluid on dip stick and so I added the 6th QT of trans fluid and took it for a spin man its like brand new...got back and it was Right in the middle of the Full mark...

so I guess I saved my butt $1500 by spending $32 on all that stuff....

I just figued I would let you know you guys where Wrong mine was 6.5QTs.....not 5....

Jayorgee, first I want to say a very nice job at detailing all the info, results and work done!!!! Its great to get such detailed info, really helps others I am sure!!

All I can add is the service manual states that after a drain and refill/filter change to add back 6 quarts, so you figured that one out on you own, just glad you did not hammer on it when it was low, that will KILL the tranny!!! I had a local TGP owner here with a tranny that was at the full line, and I tried to talk him into adding 4 more quarts, he did not do it soon enough and came back with a fried tranny/burnt clutches. He told me he was going around a highway on-ramp pretty hard, pushing some Gs and felt the tranny slipping, right after that his tranny died! The 4 quarts over-fill that I have always strongly recommended is quoted as what MUST be done to any 440T4/4T60 by Gil Younger or Mister Shift as he is known in the racing circles, he knows his shit, and sells some of the best shift kits and fix-it redesigned parts in the tranny business. I have run 4 quarts over full for years, as have many TGP owners (including the local guy here now ;-), and no one has had any problems doing this, it must be done to help the tranny live for what can be thrown at it at times. What the over-fill does is makes sure the tranny fluid does not slosh away from the oil pump pickup/oil filter and run out of fluid/run dry! It also helps get more tranny fluid into the gears helping them stay lubed and cooled better. Also helps in keeping things cooler and cleaner having more fluid to use. I ran test and never did I see foaming, which is the only other issue that might happen, and no it never even came out the overflow vent.

So, I would recommend 4 more quarts with Mobil 1 Synthetic, it is totally compatible with your fluid and has a much better heat/viscosity rating among other things.

Jeff M

is this normal the magnet have its usual lines of shavings to nothing really big but enough to notice...

Yeah, and I've seen alot worse too. Those metal shaving are suspended in the fluid and once the fluid ages, it looses it's property of being a hydrolic detergent. That's minor wear and tear; don't worry you'll be fine. Solution: change fluid through the torque converter more often.

http://redfox340.tripod.com/wbodyperformance/id18.html

added 1QT and the SeaFoam then added 3More. thinking I would only need a half QT I took it for a spin to get it though the gears...got back added a half and it was still low so I added the whole QT so now Im up to 5.5qt of stuff then I took it for a spin and it was alot better and then when Parked I checked it again and checked for leaks no leaks but was still no fluid on dip stick and so I added the 6th QT of trans fluid and took it for a spin man its like brand new...got back and it was Right in the middle of the Full mark...

When dropping the pan at my wotk, most of the 4T60's took about 12 pints (6 quarts) so you're right on the money. Some take more or less due to drainage and tempreture of old fluid, congrads on saving yourself a s***-load of cash... doesn't it feel good?

- RedFox340