Where is the tranny mount located and what does it look like??

1990lumina

After I get home from my vacation I'm gonna need to put some money into my Lumina. I'm pretty sure I have a broken tranny mount or something....If I rock the car back and forth in Park you can hear a lot of cracking/popping coming from the front left of the car.....while driving it everytime I come to a stop (the 440T4s nice 2 to 1 clunk hits) and the thing makes a crunching sound..then I accelerate away and hear some nice creaking and popping lol......

I want to inspect the mount first to be sure it's the culprit. IIRC the mount is oil filled isn't it?? When I had the car in for tranny service the technician said he washed off the area around one of the CV axles because he thought it was leaking (wet with oil)...maybe all the oil has leaked out of the tranny mount??

Anyway I obviously need to replace something in the front....always clicking/popping/crunching/creaking, etc lol...plus the steering wheel pulls either left or right depending on the amount of throttle applied (I think the whole driveline is twisting itself because nothing is holding it)....

If anyone has a picture of what i'm looking for I'd be sincerely grateful...thanks!!!

Oh and if anyone works at NAPa or somewhere, what is the approximent price of a new one of these oil filled mounts??

thanks!

the tranny mount is on the passenger side of the cradle, with the wheel pulled you should have a prety clear view of it through the wheel well.

it looks sorta like a rubber brick, with 2 studs on each side of it to hold it to the trans and cradle. i'd say its about 8 inches long and about 2 tall.

That almost sounds like the motor mount. The tranny mount should be on the drivers side of the car. Turn the wheel to the left, take off the guard and youll see it. Itll look somthing like this:

http://napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=BK&PartNumber=6201121&Description=Transmission+Mount

NAPA part # and price is included.

All tranny mounts were solid mounts. Motor mounts are either hydraulic or soild.

damn i was wrong, 19cutlass94 is right, i had my sides confused!

that what I thought..but I know which side the tranny is on so i didn't say anything ;)

Jay - thanks for the info....I'm saying tranny mount because of all the noise coming from that side of the car....whether or not what leaked onto the CV boots was from a mount or not I guess it could have been anything. Though i'll inspectboth mounts closely....I can't drive the car in it's current condition very much longer

First thing I would do is check the engine mounts. The best way to do this is: Put the vehicle in Neutral and have someone look at the engine while you rev it. Judge how much it moves and replace if neccessary. Also put it in from park-reverse and from park-drive see how much it moves.

There are 2 dogbone mounts(you replaced those right?) 1 engine mount and 1 trans mount. The engine mount is the only one that is hydrauliclly filled. I would replace all mounts that are OEM just to be sure.

For the trans mount all you need to do is jack the tranny up and take pressure of the mount, same for the engine mount. I would use a cherry picker to lift the engine if you can.

Also have you checked your cradle mounts? And the pulling to one side when you step on it is torque steer, chances are if the mounts where that bad the whole car would shake alot.

First thing I would do is check the engine mounts. The best way to do this is: Put the vehicle in Neutral and have someone look at the engine while you rev it. Judge how much it moves and replace if neccessary. Also put it in from park-reverse and from park-drive see how much it moves.

There are 2 dogbone mounts(you replaced those right?) 1 engine mount and 1 trans mount. The engine mount is the only one that is hydrauliclly filled. I would replace all mounts that are OEM just to be sure.

For the trans mount all you need to do is jack the tranny up and take pressure of the mount, same for the engine mount. I would use a cherry picker to lift the engine if you can.

Also have you checked your cradle mounts? And the pulling to one side when you step on it is torque steer, chances are if the mounts where that bad the whole car would shake alot.

the car does shake a bit at speeds over 60mph....justa bit though....I'll check all the mounts though and cradle mounts and get back to you guys

Well that shaking could be from a wheel thats not balanced correctly. But youll know when the engine mount is bad, because everytime you shift from park to drive or whatever, youll hear like a vibration, kinda like metal on metal.