UPDATE: Fuel pump change through the trunk floor.

Hippie

Got the hole cut but had to cut an additional area to get to the fuel line fittings which required removing the back seat and sound deadener. Still the right way to do it on this car but unless yours is crusted over underneath with 15 years of red clay and lime dust from the Midwest back roads and everthing rusted up like mine do yourself a favor and drop the tank. I got the top of the fuel line/sender plate cleaned off and it is almost solid rust, I don't think the fuel lines coming out of the tank are going to survive the removal but until I get the right size line wrenches I won't know, all the friggin' line wrenches I have and none were the right size.......... I'm gettin a new(er) assembly anyway, if I don't they are guaranteed to break. So, it works but I don't recommend it.

I just did this last night, and while I was under there, I noticed coming from the top was not a grand idea.. Even if you left the lines connected to the pump assy. itself, all the twisting to get it out would damage them beyond repair.. But a good experiment none the less :thumbsup:

I dropped a tank yesterday. it was a 92 models with the quick disconnects. I compared them to the older type.

You could possibly get away with constructing an access hole on a 92 up with disconnects, but not on a tank with metal lines.

did either of you have a tank with disconnects?

this also lends itself to the possiblilty that you could upgrade a 91 down tank lines with 92 and up, which would require replacing the sending unit and some of the rear lines on the car.

I just did this last night, and while I was under there, I noticed coming from the top was not a grand idea.. Even if you left the lines connected to the pump assy. itself, all the twisting to get it out would damage them beyond repair.. But a good experiment none the less :thumbsup:

I think I'll have room for that, now that I have cut half the floor out of it that is..... :wink: The condition of the metal fuel lines is a good part of what made me reluctant to drop the tank, they are RUSTY!!! The flaky scaly rust that peels off in layers and leaves the tubing paper thin if you disturb it. This way I might have to replace the sending unit bracket and attached lines but not half the lines in the rear of the car. Going through the trunk floor was the lesser of two evils by a slim margin. Fortunately the previous owner had already replaced the rear brake lines. The front half is not in this condition which makes me even more convinced the back half of this car was in the water for awhile or parked over a salt pile but with the exception of the outer rocker panels the actual body isn't all eaten up just the lines and hardware, very strange.

Well, the lines are exposed metal.. Stainless or not, they can corrode..

..WHen I get to the Lumi project, and even my 94, and my Vert, I will most likel POR 15 EVERYTHING that can have a reduced lifespan due to corrosion.. The lines coming from my pump were rusty as hell also, but thats because water, salt, etc. can get there, and STAY there; making it real hard on the fittings, lines, etc..

..I like the quick connects too! I only wish BOTH sides of my fuel filter were QD.. :willynilly:

Am I the only one here that thinks this is the worst idea ever?? There's only 2 straps and 2 bolts that holds it on. I'm thinking it would take just as long to cut the hole. :thumbsdown: :ugone2far: Bad Idea

Am I the only one here that thinks this is the worst idea ever?? There's only 2 straps and 2 bolts that holds it on. I'm thinking it would take just as long to cut the hole. :thumbsdown: :ugone2far: Bad Idea

I've already spent a few hours under this car and 2 hours of that was just trying to change the fuel filter which was only a couple years old. I've been working on old cars for 34 years, I have a pretty good clue what is going to come apart easily and what isn't and I have the scars on my hands and forearms to prove it. Here's a picture of the top of the fuel tank after all the crust being cleaned off and soaked with Marvel Mystery Oil for 4 days. The underside is worse. You want to lay under this thing and fight that? Be my guest! Or would you rather spend a half hour sitting in relative comfort in the trunk with a cut off wheel in one hand and a cold beer in the other? You know my answer.............

Mechanically this car is almost perfect and runs and drives like it and it is loaded option wise and everything works otherwise I wouldn't even bother, it would have already been shredded but I can get another 90 to 100,000 miles out of it easy. The body? There are much better looking cars in the junkyard, trust me. There is very little body rust other than the rocker panels , it's almost all minor dents, but they are EVERYWHERE!

11523821060.jpg

I've junked cars that look better than that. :lol:

:lol: So have I......... BUT they didn't run like this one. I got it from a friend of mine for the youngest's first car, it had 140,000 miles on it and had some paint issues and rust in the rockers but it was straight and I can half ass patch rust and paint so it had some potential to be a halfway decent car with a little work. Good enough considering his history with taking care of bicycles, toys, etc., I had an idea what to expect when I let him have it. :rolleyes: I handed him the keys with zero miles on a fresh oil change, when I got it back 5,000 miles later with the body beat to Hell, the interior half disassembled from he and his friends trying to put a stereo in it and a dead fuel pump it was only down about half a pint and he didn't put any in it. Not too bad in my book, especially since I know he didn't baby it. The bottom of the engine and trans are dry as a bone and it handles and rides like a new car, the cruise, power seats, power windows and rear defroster work, the heater will cook you and the AC freeze you. It looks like total shit now but that's what you want where I have to park at work so it's my next work car. Nobody will mess with it, they'll just figure somebody beat them to it. BTW, he had to buy his next car with his own money, he's taking REAL good care of it.

pshhh you could eat off that! :lol:

Nice eh?

I just junked a car and the tank was one hell of alot cleaner than that.

If I ever replace the fuel pump on my 91 vert I am upgrading to a 92 up sending unit and lines. period. No holes in the floor.

I've already spent a few hours under this car and 2 hours of that was just trying to change the fuel filter which was only a couple years old. I've been working on old cars for 34 years, I have a pretty good clue what is going to come apart easily and what isn't and I have the scars on my hands and forearms to prove it. Here's a picture of the top of the fuel tank after all the crust being cleaned off and soaked with Marvel Mystery Oil for 4 days. The underside is worse. You want to lay under this thing and fight that? Be my guest! Or would you rather spend a half hour sitting in relative comfort in the trunk with a cut off wheel in one hand and a cold beer in the other? You know my answer.............

Mechanically this car is almost perfect and runs and drives like it and it is loaded option wise and everything works otherwise I wouldn't even bother, it would have already been shredded but I can get another 90 to 100,000 miles out of it easy. The body? There are much better looking cars in the junkyard, trust me. There is very little body rust other than the rocker panels , it's almost all minor dents, but they are EVERYWHERE!

11523821060.jpg

Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

:willynilly:

I'm beginning to have sdoubts about getting the sending unit busted loose from the tank. The extra $30 for that universal inline replacement pump at NAPA is starting to look better by the minute. As soon as my line wrenches get here I'll give it a shot though. Dumb idea or not wish me luck..... I'm gonna need it.

Id run to a UPull it, grab the tank off the newest Gen 1 you can find, POR15 the tank, straps, and lines/fittings, swap the pump, and put er back in :willynilly:

Good luck man! Looks like you'll need it!

damn....looks like you have your work cut out for you....good luck

:werd:

Although If that were my car and I intended to keep it for any length of time, I probably would have just cut the straps. Then yanked the tank out and scrapped it, and replace with a rust-free junkyard tank.

That one is too nasty, I wouldn't keep that! It looks like it's just a year or two from major leaks.

damn....looks like you have your work cut out for you....good luck

:werd:

Although If that were my car and I intended to keep it for any length of time, I probably would have just cut the straps. Then yanked the tank out and scrapped it, and replace with a rust-free junkyard tank.

That one is too nasty, I wouldn't keep that! It looks like it's just a year or two from major leaks.

Yeah, it ain't over yet, the "Domino Effect" could easily come into play here. I haven't ruled out having to replace the tank............ and fuel lines................ and filler tube. :neutral:

If I hadn't done so much to it before the kid beat the shit out of it I'd just write it off but it has new front struts, axles, lower ball joints, rear calipers ( @$%!! 4 WHEEL DISCS :mad: ) , tune up, etc. so I'm buried in it, I have to get it running and drive the piss out of it for a couple years. A little patching and a coat of paint and it would have been a decent car. Oh well, you'll have that when you have kids.

• 2 weeks later...

IT LIVES!!! Fuel pump is finally in, the sending unit survived believe it or not. :cool: The retaining ring is a little wavy but I was able to reuse it. Now the battery is taking a crap, oh well that's easy. With the hours I'm putting in at work though I'm going to have the local garage put the rear struts on or it will be winter before I get to it. Feels good to have it moving under it's own power again.