Need some recommendations....

runt

Right now I'm rocking a Pioneer DEH-P6600 in the GP. Stock speakers to boot as well. I already know that I'm going to throw some different 6x9's in the back (against the will of others on this board...lol) and get some GOOD components for the front. I might even try to upgrade to 6.5's but I'll have to see how much work that actually is. No, I will not put kick panels in the front.

Anyway....I am all crazy about getting ONE sub for the trunk. I'm thinking a 12" would fit nice. I guess some recommendations on a Sub type and Amp would be nice. I'd love to just find a cheap 12, Walmart Amp and run with that. But who knows. I guess the TOTAL purpose of this thread is to ask: what type of box should I buy/build? I've always heard that for certain types of music you should have a certain type of box. I don't plan on doing SPL comp's or anything like that. I mostly listen to Metal/Rock music, so I'm thinking a ported box would be the way to go. Should I just get a box from like Best Buy or wherever? Yeah, I'm a n00b on this type of stuff, and most of the stuff on the net about subs and boxes just confuses the shit out of me.

THanks for any help though!

Probably your best bang for the buck would be the RE Audio RE series subs. Not sure on the price, because they don't list it on there website, but they sell directly to the public. They do not sell through distributors. Go to http://www.reaudio.com. The 12" only requires 175w RMS, so it doesn't take a whole lot of power to get it going. Toss it in a simple sealed box(standard box you would see anywhere is fine for this sub), and your all set. I think the sub sells for $70-$90.

Ported is more efficient, it'll be louder per watt than a sealed box. However, it will also be looser, in that with less backpressure, the cone's movements will be less controlled. Sealed is tighter for more accurate bass reproduction, but less efficient. I agree that ported will be good for metal/rock music. If you listened to primarily classical, I would probably have recommend sealed.

You will want to get a box with the proper volume (interior airspace) for your sub. You can get a generic one if you'd like, most are probably sized properly for most subs.

I would say if you listen to primarily rock then your going to want a 10".

10" are gret for rock because they react fast. Also if I were you I would go with a sealed box. Your not looking for record shattering decibals you just want some good clean kick.

If your going the walmart way go buy one or two sony xplode 10's and buy the Pioneer amp they have there. That would be a good combo.

10" are gret for rock because they react fast. Also if I were you I would go with a sealed box. Your not looking for record shattering decibals you just want some good clean kick.

I agree. I would also go with a sealed box, 10" minimum (preferably duals.) I have a small bandpass box with a single 8" woofer in the Regal right now, and not only is it too "weak" for my liking, the bass it produces is too "muddy" (vibrates or buzzes too much) for rock music. The "good clean kick" is exactly what I'm looking for :wink: .

If you're looking for that muddy/buzzing sound, then by all means go with a ported or bandpass box...

If you're looking for that muddy/buzzing sound, then by all means go with a ported or bandpass box...

A ported box and a bandpass box are very different. A bandpass box only passes a narrow band and is the most efficient of all. To get good sound out of one, it has to be very carefully tuned and matched to that exact sub. Just putting any sub in any generic bandpass box is going to result in potentially very loose and muddy bass. I wouldn't bother with a bandpass box unless it's one designed for a specific sub by a reputable company.

Yeah, I agree the sealed will definitely be the most accurate.

However, ported is most common in home theater and home audio systems because it's a good compromise between efficiency, low frequency extension, and accuracy.

A few more companies to check out on a money conscious budget that should sound pretty good and be of decent quality:

Phoenix Gold

Dayton Loudspeaker

Directed

Hifonics

MA Audio

PPI

JBL

Well...I agree a 10" might be built more for my application. The thing is, I really don't want it to be super loud, or even hit THAT hard. Just something that when it's turned up, I know that it's turned up. The only reason I guess I'm stuck on a 12" is that I *might* be able to get one cheap from a cousin of mine, then again do I really want to mess around with use audio equipment? Maybe we'll see.

You guys defiently got some ideas going in my head...keep 'em comin' though! Thanks for all of the help thus far.

but this is home audio :lol:

You mean "isn't", but it doesn't matter, the principles and reasons are all the same.

You can also find some really obsessive car audiophiles that actually prefer to use high-end home audio drivers in their cars.

sealed boxes usually sound like shit when there is any type of gaps in the construction and leaks. but if you glue the corners and reinforce the faceplate or double layer the faceplate, then fiberglass the inside of the box even prefab chipboard boxes can sound good. I have done many ghetto systems that would normally sound like shit with crappy speakers and it actually sounded good. oh yea, a bead of caulking around the circle before you mount the sub helps too. has to be air tight.

I have a single 12" SEALED sub. It's 500w RMS (I'm putting out 460w RMS with my Kenwood amp) so it has some pretty good punch. I would, however recommend a ported box and a 12" or even 10" will be plenty loud. As other's stated, if the box is designed around the speaker then a ported box should sound good.

Keep an eye out for speacials at Best Buy etc. they often have sub/amp packages that are good deals.

If you are going to run a single 12 only, then I would recommend a sealed enclosure as mentioned above. Even with a 10, a sealed enclosure will give you a decent punch without being sloppy. If you were going to run two 12's, then a bandpass enclosure wouldn't be bad...depending on what kind of music you listen to.

Also, how much you are willing to spend is a factor. Someone mentioned Sony Xplod and, even though I'll probably catch some shit from others, I'd have to agree. For the price, they aren't a bad way to go. I'm running two 12's in a bandpass enclosure with a Sony Xplod 1200 amp and it sounds pretty damn good...especially for the price. I was originally going to replace them with some Earthquakes but I figure I'll hold off on those for now because the Xplod's are working for me just fine. More than enough bass for the blues and stuff I listen to. Just a thought...

If your going the walmart way go buy one or two sony xplode 10's and buy the Pioneer amp they have there. That would be a good combo.

I wonder where he learned all that ;)

A few more companies to check out on a money conscious budget that should sound pretty good and be of decent quality:

Phoenix Gold

Dayton Loudspeaker

Directed

Hifonics

MA Audio

PPI

JBL

Yess i agree with quality. Ive had the best luck personally with Directed Products. I have 2 directed subs and a directed amp in my car with 2 (CUSTOM - made to specs) boxes in my car, which is now under construction. Pics will be up soon! But back to the topic. Just ask 97loudcut about it and what happens to his eyes when its cranked up!! and this is before i redo everything too.!! just wait... i'll put a mic. in the car when i'm done and let ya know how many dB's i'm hittin.

Just because a sub is smaller doesnt mean its faster. Sealed box would be preferred for rock, but I would stay away from sony, as their are better for the price. Same with the Pioneer amp. if you research, youll fine much better equipment for the same price.

Just because a sub is smaller doesnt mean its faster. Sealed box would be preferred for rock, but I would stay away from sony, as their are better for the price. Same with the Pioneer amp. if you research, youll fine much better equipment for the same price.

It all depends on the application and whose doing it. I can make a 12 with a porterd box sound good in a car with proper tuning. As far as 10's being better for rock that all depends too. YES 10"s do more faster because of the cone size verse a 12" but that all depends on power and how their wired. A lot of times like best buy wil have like combo deals where you can get 2 10's, a box, and an amp for a couple hundred bucks. i'm sure thats what 97loudcut was talking about when he mentioned wal-mart. but yes you can find beter for the same price of sony and pioneer-AMPS!

It all depends on the application and whose doing it. I can make a 12 with a porterd box sound good in a car with proper tuning. As far as 10's being better for rock that all depends too. YES 10"s do more faster because of the cone size verse a 12" but that all depends on power and how their wired. A lot of times like best buy wil have like combo deals where you can get 2 10's, a box, and an amp for a couple hundred bucks. i'm sure thats what 97loudcut was talking about when he mentioned wal-mart. but yes you can find beter for the same price of sony and pioneer-AMPS!

The idea that a 10" will move faster than a 12" is pure myth. You cannot compare apples to oranges here. Different companies use different motor structures and suspension designs which in turn causes the different subs to act differently under different conditions. I have a 15" that hits faster ported than any sealed dual 10 or 12 setup I've had or heard. Some subs are just not made for SQ...plain and simple.

But if you are looking for a good SQ sub....check out Image Dynamics or Elemental Designs. They are some of the most popular independant SQ companies.

Hey Runt, Go up to The Detail Shop. He'll hook you up right. I got everything from him. Exept for my HU (He won't sell Pioneer and the JVC I got from him was shit). Right now he has the same setup I got from him with 2 12" RF Subs in a Box and a 300W Punch amp for $259. He has smaller ones if you just want 1 too.

Don't go with the Wal*Mart 6600 either I got my 680 from Ebay and got it for cheaper than you can get the 6600 at Wal*Mart and I got the XM Box With it for $250 shipped. If you want to see my set-up maybe me and Turby will come up and see you and you can take a look.

I don't really know how the door panel inside is on a GP but It might take some time to put in something bigger. Don't belive your G/F bigger isn't always better. :lol: Better is Better

FWIW: All points well taken. I have a feeling I might just go to a Best Buy and pick something up there, thats IF I ever get to one and even have the money at the time.

But, what gauge wire should I run from the battery to the amp? I was thinking 4ga, but I don't know if that'll be good enough or not. Also, I can just use some type of "stock" RCA's from the HU to the amp correct?

4 guage, for what you want to do, is plenty big enough.

Your using the stock headunit? I would recommend a line-out convertor with a line jumper to up the voltage a bit.

Phoenix Gold

Dayton Loudspeaker

Directed

Hifonics

MA Audio

PPI

JBL

Yess i agree with quality. Ive had the best luck personally with Directed Products. I have 2 directed subs and a directed amp in my car with 2 (CUSTOM - made to specs) boxes in my car, which is now under construction. Pics will be up soon! But back to the topic. Just ask 97loudcut about it and what happens to his eyes when its cranked up!! and this is before i redo everything too.!! just wait... i'll put a mic. in the car when i'm done and let ya know how many dB's i'm hittin.

Only trust Termlab mic's.

Well what amp are you using? 4g might be to big and would just could more when he can get away with using 8g.

x2 on the Termlab mic's. The 180 and 190 are the only ones they use around here ( shops that do this anyways ) even though if you can, the 190 is basically state of the art and is the best.

I scored a 138dB with no gain on the 190. Cant wait to see what I can do when I get everything squared away.