Premium Fuel Debate Here!

97loudcut

i run regular all the time, gas is far too expensive to begin with my reasons:

*i do not get apropiate performance to justify spending more on gas.

*my engine was designed around 87' octane

*i've tore apart my fair share of 60*v6 engines that have over 100k and have been running 87' all their life, they are generally perfect inside.

*regualr gas around here runs 2.75 2.85 or so a gallon, oil companys are not gona get more then i absoutely have to pay.

*regualr gas must be good enough of all these super low emissions hondas can run off it just fine and put barely any emissions out the tailpipe.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TGPilot

• GnatGoSplat

• MonteCarloChick

• fastbird232

At sea level, but Im no where near sea level. It also depends on how much timing you have to have. Like my dads car, has 12:1 c/r and runs about 40* of timing. He has to run 110 octane. But like you said, it depends on so many things.

Well, since you didn't tell us what kind of injection it has....this one can have differences too....

Carburetors vs. Fuel Injection has A LOT to do with it too....

You can get away with less octane on Fuel Injection as the fuel delivery is much better than Carbs. Our '79 Suburban has like 9.5:1 compression and it barely runs on 91 octane with a bunch of timing pulled out, or it will ping on "diesel" after you shut it off. As where my car, runs 9.5:1+12psi on 91 Octane just fine....

regualr gas must be good enough of all these super low emissions hondas can run off it just fine and put barely any emissions out the tailpipe.

Actually our '04 TSX says Premium fuel ....however, they are so advance computer systems, it probably just pulls out timing for those that put in crap gas so it will run right.

Carburetors vs. Fuel Injection has A LOT to do with it too....

You can get away with less octane on Fuel Injection as the fuel delivery is much better than Carbs. Our '79 Suburban has like 9.5:1 compression and it barely runs on 91 octane with a bunch of timing pulled out, or it will ping on "diesel" after you shut it off. As where my car, runs 9.5:1+12psi on 91 Octane just fine....

Brian, does the suburban have iron heads on it? If so, there's your difference...

too lazy to read all of it but here is my two cents...

even with my newer car i only run regular most of the time, that said about every 3 or 4 tanks i will run a tank of premuim through to help clean out the internals, i have recieved this advise from a few sources and it seems to work very well, bonus side of this is that i dont have to run and additives. i hate additives

even with my newer car i only run regular most of the time, that said about every 3 or 4 tanks i will run a tank of premuim through to help clean out the internals, i have recieved this advise from a few sources and it seems to work very well, bonus side of this is that i dont have to run and additives. i hate additives

That practice does nothing but help to clean out your wallet.

The sources you heard this from are obviously uneducated when it comes to fuel.

Well, my Legend says to use Premim only. I have ran 87,89,91, and 93, with no noticable difference between any of them. Really seems no loss of power with the lesser octane gas, and no noticeable power increase or mpg increase with higher octane. So, I use midgrade.

the dilemma MAY be that some years ago, "premium" fuel was high octane, but also advertised as having more cleaning agents and additives. I think that people believe that running high octane is a substitute for cleaners, but now it isn't true most of the time. 87 octane has many additives and cleaners as well, especially when you use gas from a top-tier company.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html