Premium Fuel Debate Here!

97loudcut

Im not going to argue and i don't want to start a fight (especially with digital because he could wrench cricles around me probably)

But last year in my CP Chemistry class my teacher brought in some 87 Octane gas and some 93 Octane gas (base and premium for the noobs) and we did an expirement to see what was in them and what made them diffrent. The 93 Octane gas was so much cleaner and had so little concentration of things that were bad for your car. It really all in all just was a healthier liquid.

Now you can put whatever you want in your car. But after breaking those to gasolines down and the 10 cents diffrence I know that nothing but the clean shit is going into my 117,000 mile cutlass.

/rant

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TGPilot

• GnatGoSplat

• MonteCarloChick

• fastbird232

He was saying he gets more horsepower from 93 octane. That's what I was saying. I know 93 has detergents and additives in it that clean your system. But everyone seems to think that because high performance cars use higher octanes, that that's where they get their power from. As if higher octane means it's more explosive (when the opposite is true).

The 93 Octane gas was so much cleaner and had so little concentration of things that were bad for your car. It really all in all just was a healthier liquid.

/rant

Define "healthier" liquid. What bad items are you pointing out? Sure, water is clear, and chocolate milk isn't, but both are good.

Second, what ill effects would these items due to your car? For the amount of fuel that these cars move through the engine, very little of anything is left behind. I know I go 12,000 miles a year at an average of say 20 MPG, that's 600 gallons at 20 cents extra...I'm sure that's $120 that might be better spent elsewhere.

The 93 Octane gas was so much cleaner and had so little concentration of things that were bad for your car. It really all in all just was a healthier liquid.

/rant

Define "healthier" liquid. What bad items are you pointing out? Sure, water is clear, and chocolate milk isn't, but both are good.

Second, what ill effects would these items due to your car? For the amount of fuel that these cars move through the engine, very little of anything is left behind. I know I go 12,000 miles a year at an average of say 20 MPG, that's 600 gallons at 20 cents extra...I'm sure that's $120 that might be better spent elsewhere.

That would be an easy rebutle with, the $120 spent on cleaner, better gas, is saved when you have to have a nice repair that is quite a bit more expensive on something if you can't fix it yourself. :wink:

I have to run premium, so I have no choice anyway.

Premium is worth the extra cash IMO. And it might just save you some cash in the long run instead of replacing fuel injectors :cool:

My GTP will be angry with me if I don't use premium anyway, so I have to.

But everyone seems to think that because high performance cars use higher octanes, that that's where they get their power from. As if higher octane means it's more explosive (when the opposite is true).

You are right, but you are also a bit wrong on that. :wink:

If you have a low compression engine designed to run on low octane rated fuel it will run as it is designed. Now if you have a high compression engine (performance car as you put it) and you run high octane as it was designed you will have appropriate performance.

NOW...if you have a low compression engine with miles on it and carbon build-up on the tops of the pistons you have increased the compression ratio. If you run the same low octane fuel in a now higher compression engine you will lose performance. It does not mean that an engine will have the exact same carbon deposits on the top of each cylinder...in act it is quite impossible for that to happen...but if you end up with one or two cylinders with higher build up running on low octane fuel you will KNOCK/Detonate on those cylinders. Any EFI engine post 1988 with a knock sensor will retard timing to compensate for the knock sensed in those cylinders in effect killing performance.

Another thing...you said that Higher Octane Gas is less "explosive". That depends on it's environment. Higher Octane fuel takes more pressure/compression and temp to ignite...but once it ignites it contains more BTU's per gram than low Octane fuel. To say "As if higher octane means it's more explosive (when the opposite is true)" is not correct entirely. In a low compression engine it will not completely burn so yes it is less explosive...but put that same fuel in a high compression, supercharged, or turbocharged engine and it will produce more BTU's to allow for more power and be much more "explosive". :cool:

Well, I meant more along the lines of "more resistant to detonation." But yeah, you're right.

The bottom line was, the guy thought putting 93 octane in his '94 GTP would give him more power, in that something like a race car runs high octane fuel, and it's powerful, therefore running high octane fuel in the 3.4 would make it more powerful. The catch is, the race car's engine is powerful because it's built that way and has high compression. They run the high octanes to allow for the high compression ratios. They don't get all that raw power just from the fuel. The fuel allows the engine to run smoothly the way it was built.

That's what I was trying to say. I know some guys see that 104+ Octane Boost at WalMart and dump it in their tanks thinking it'll make their car faster.

I hear what you are saying about the High Octane Low Performance cars supposedly running better. It is literally impossible...unless there has been some way the compression was raised from stock levels. Now if a person had gummed injectors and ran heavy detergents through the fuel system to get them cleaned out and actually cleaned out some of the carbon build-up...then performance will decrease immediatley after the compression ratios level back off to stock.

Low Compression + High Octane = No benefits and higher HC readings at your tailpipe! :cool:

Low Compression + High Octane = No benefits and higher HC readings at your tailpipe! :cool:

Now if this is true, in itself it is the proof. If you have more HC coming from the talipipe then obviously the fuel is not getting all of the potential energy from the gas. I have never heard the statement of higher hydrocarbons coming from the taipipe. This may truly sway my feelings of 93 octane.

Cleaner? How so?

Concentration of "things"? What kind of "things"?

Healthier? In what way, in that it appears cleaner because it lacks these unspecified "things"?

If your car calls for "UNLEADED FUEL ONLY", then putting Premium in it is a waste of money. Personally, I think it's retarded to waste money.

Both my 88 and 89 Cutlasses have over 200,000-miles each and both have been running strictly on the cheapest 87-octane.

It makes absolutely no sense to me to cough up the extra dough to feed Premium to a sub-200HP naturally aspirated Mickey Mouse motor, especially when it's not going to reward your extravagant spending with neither improved performance nor improved reliability.

http://quiktrip.com/gasoline/myth.asp

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-07-30-premiumgas_x.htm

Only high-compression or turbo/supercharged engines will benefit from Premium.

:willynilly: Everyday I get into arguements with idiots who insist on using premium gas with moronic reasons.

so youre calling people idiots for having valid reasons to want to use it? I've used it for close to a year straight, but then only on the first tank when I put the new engine in. I didn't really notice much difference, but it did seem to run a tiny bit smoother, but it coulda just been me

:willynilly: Everyday I get into arguements with idiots who insist on using premium gas with moronic reasons.

so youre calling people idiots for having valid reasons to want to use it? I've used it for close to a year straight, but then only on the first tank when I put the new engine in. I didn't really notice much difference, but it did seem to run a tiny bit smoother, but it coulda just been me

I think she only calls people idiots if their reasons are moronic. :lol:

It's not only that is runs smoother, but with my 3.4 I've noticed the higher grades take longer to burn, it eats regular fuel rather quickly.

No, she said they had moronic reasons.

EDIT: Beat me to it.

Takes one to know one they always say! :lol: Who are they? I don't know but they most certainly are not morons! :mrgreen:

Might be dumb but my mom said that my sisters husband told her about a liquid to put into a car so u can downgrade to cheaper gas, she told me to find out about it, i told her it was a stupid idea, since we have an L67, is this "liquid" real? even if it was, wouldnt the engine still need premium since its supercharged?

There are several liquids that you can add to the fuel to raise octane. Ethanol being one of them.

Doesn't seem worth the hassle and expense though, just buy Premium.

yeah, uumm but like to downgrade, like my regal uses premuim, well my mom thinks that putting some magic liquid my sisters husband told her about, the car can use regular gas without having any trouble. this is on an L67 by the way

Yeah just put in 1.5 gallons of water (aka liquid) for every 10 gallons of gas. It will steam clean the inside of your engine as you run it through the system! :willynilly: :joke:

Yeah just put in 1.5 gallons of water (aka liquid) for every 10 gallons of gas. It will steam clean the inside of your engine as you run it through the system! :willynilly: :joke:

:lol:

yeah, uumm but like to downgrade, like my regal uses premuim, well my mom thinks that putting some magic liquid my sisters husband told her about, the car can use regular gas without having any trouble. this is on an L67 by the way

Well yeah, that's true to some extent, but it's no one single magic liquid.

There are commercial products labeled as Octane Boosters that will work. Then there's other liquids. I don't know how accurate this is, but here's some ways you can boost the octane:

http://www.disgruntledpunk.com/octane.htm

Apparently they want to raise 92-octane to something even higher than that, but those same chemicals will boost 87 to equivelent of 91 in the proper concentrations.

I don't appreciate being called an "idiot" even if my ways are moronic. This is a debate and is not somewhere to be using verbal abuse. Besides you are barking up the wrong tree.

Use what you want to use. I really could care less. I did the expirement, I saw the results. I will continue using the highest octane gas in my car no matter the cost. Like I said before, nothing but the best goes into my engine.

If i wasn't specific enough with the lower octane gas the "soot" or "debris" concentration was higher. There were much more dirt particles that you could see with an eye and then when we used the microscope there were even more tiny object floating in the gas. The premium was also a lighter color and much more transparent then the 87. I will go and try to find my old lab report to find the chemicals we found.

I don't appreciate being called an "idiot" even if my ways are moronic. This is a debate and is not somewhere to be using verbal abuse. Besides you are barking up the wrong tree.

I didn't call anyone anything. Don't take things so personally. I'm just sick of having this debate with people.