what all is broken / what should i replace

White93z34

ok, i'm sure you've seen my post about my sister driving my car with the parking brake fully on. if not, long story short she drove my car for 5-7 miles with the parking brake fully engauged, and she will be paying for repairs.

also, just before winter i put new callipers pads and rotors on the back

anyhow, befoer she drove it, it would take aprox 1.5 pumps to set the parking brake, and it would HOLD the car very well.

now it takes 2 full pumps to set it, and to dosen't hold the car like it used to, it still holds it, but not as good. and i feel my rear braking performance is degraded.

now what all should i expect to replace? i'm not sure if my callipers are cooked again or if its just really worn pads and glazed rotors now/

I would suggest looking over the calipers, and bleeding them to get the old fluid which has probably been overheated. Check the rotors, if they are discolored to a bluish tint they are probably toast. Same with pads.

Sounds to me like the pads and rotors are probably shot. But really, the only way to find out what all is bad to to take both rear wheels off and find out.

I would also have someone set and release the parking brake a few times while you have the wheels off, just so you can visually see if anything is wrong.

On a good note, atleast she is paying for it.

The first thing i would try is to regrease the caliper bolts using caliper grease (very important) Otherwise,

Probably just the pads need to be replaced. I would try getting the rotors turned, they should be able to tell you if they are warped.

If there is still a problem inspect the caliper piston, just get a caliper rebuild kit, if anything got cooked its the seals. Calipers are probably fine, should be a relatively low cost fix.

My dad drove 2 hours down a highway with the left rear brake seized on our Suburban....didn't really do any harm...the drum and shoe that was seized is still on the Suburban as of now lol....we were worried the wheel bearings would be hurt because when we finally got to a shop the drum was red hot and put "grille" marks into my dad's leather work gloves lol

I'd say without looking your rotors would be glazed, though the pads are probably still fine (How fast was she going during this 5-7mile drive)????

OT - your wheels are stunning from what's shown in ur sig...I'm jealous

thing is i've NEVER EVER had a calliper slider go bad, not once in over 2 years now, not to mention the callipers aren't but 6 months or so old now.

tires are fine, like i said in the other thread. the car was working awful hard to drive with the parking brake on, but the wheels still (somehow) turned

i don't think i'd even waste the money getting these rotors turned when for $2 more each i can get brand new ones.

i'm sure she won't be thrilled when she actually has to pay me the money, but well. listen to what i say and this woulden't have been an issue.

and yes jeff the wheels are that shiney, i bought them like that. i should post pictures sometime of them cleaned up.

thing is i've NEVER EVER had a calliper slider go bad, not once in over 2 years now,

You must have cooked the grease, even caliper slider grease has its limits,

IMO cooked grease really isn't good. Its happened to me before.

sure i MAY have a bad slider, i won't know till i get around to pulling the wheels, but i've never had a slider fail, they always seem to be fine when i replace the callipers and i've put too many callipers on the rear of this car now. but without fail the piston quits retracting properly and cooks a set of brake pads rather fast. mabie i've just been lucky.