Why was the 3.4 so under-utilized?

fastbird232

It's cool how Cadillac now has a 2.8L DOHC that puts out 200hp (in the base model CTS). Too bad this engine wasn't around back then for the F-bodies...

You mean as the base engine for the F-Bodies?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fastbird232

• THe_DeTAiL3R

• White93z34

• 5speedz34

It's cool how Cadillac now has a 2.8L DOHC that puts out 200hp (in the base model CTS). Too bad this engine wasn't around back then for the F-bodies...

You mean as the base engine for the F-Bodies?

Yeah. Would have been a hell of alot better than the old 2.8MPFI! LOL!!

I really have no idea how they go up against a 3800 though in the newer F-bodies... but they seem to pull heavy ass Cadillac around ok.

Hmmm GM does everything wierd like killing oldsmobile all together :sad:

:werd:

I was talking with one of the service advisors... not GM is thinking of stopping our dealership from doing warrantee work on H2s and Chevys cause we are only a GMC/Pontiac/Cadillac dealership. Very ghey indeed.

All that was said above seems accurate to me..

..I am a 3.4 fan, so I want to shoe horn it into anything..

..I do agree however without the advent of the LQ1, the Northstar wouldn't be what it is, if anything at all.. Imagine it:

"The all new 2006 Cadillac STS.. Now with the same V8 that gets bad gas mileage"

At least it would still look like sex, lol..

I'd love to put one into a pre '93 S-10 or something small like a Beretta.

A Fiero????? :surprised:

:lol:

Because the 3800sc was consider less of a maintence nightmare.

I have to believe this. Also, near the end of its production life, the maintainence nightmares were starting to come out about the 3.4. Ridiculous alternator changes and timing belts. Yeah, WE can do it, but most people cannot and that is not what is expected from Domestic cars. The gas mileage wasn't the best. And I heard once that the LQ1 was actually meant to go into the fiero before they cut that from production. The nightmarish alternator was cake to change in the fiero.

A Fiero????? :surprised:

I want to eventually swap my LQ1 into a late 80's Trans Am GTA.

Funny story. Before I bought my car (91 GTP) I took it to a garage to get it inspected for insurance, and when I went to see what they said, the mechanic told me he had one a while back with the 3.4 DOHC, and he said it was a wicked fun car to drive, but fixing it was a very unenjoyable. He also said to double think my choice of buying it since repairs would be costly due to labour... so naturally I bought it. Then I had to take it to get fixed a few times, and he was sure right...I think that may've contributed to the short term underuse of the 3.4 DOHC

To tell the God honest truth though, when they dropped the 3.4 into the GTP's and other models in 91...if it would've had 285 hp, right now I would be one happy camper....one VERY happy camper :D I heard though that it was making that power, and the tranny couldn't handle it, and instead of getting a diferent tranny built, they just cut the power down...what a horrible GM choice...but still, my motor throws me into my seat, I'm happy

To tell the God honest truth though, when they dropped the 3.4 into the GTP's and other models in 91...if it would've had 285 hp, right now I would be one happy camper....one VERY happy camper :D I heard though that it was making that power, and the tranny couldn't handle it, and instead of getting a diferent tranny built, they just cut the power down...what a horrible GM choice...but still, my motor throws me into my seat, I'm happy

Also, I read somewhere that they figured torque steer would be an issue for average drivers.

I'd love to put one into something small like a Beretta.

It's been done. Same with a Cavalier. 1st gen IIRC.

I think this is probably the biggest issue with the engine.

After my coolant issues a month ago I've been pricing out the gaskets and timing belt parts and that alone is $959.00 if I do it myself!! That is rediculous, I don't even know if I'm going to keep the LQ1 much longer, I might just get myself an L67 and have 1 big headache until the swap is done then have almost no headaches. The L67 has to be an easier engine to maintain! Every time I price something for this engine I damn near choke. If I hadn't already fallin in love with the look of my car it would be off to the wreckers. I had less hassels with the 89 GMC van I used to own

Jamie

I might just get myself an L67 and have 1 big headache until the swap is done then have almost no headaches. The L67 has to be an easier engine to maintain!

Engine fires?

I have to believe this. Also, near the end of its production life, the maintainence nightmares were starting to come out about the 3.4. Ridiculous alternator changes and timing belts. Yeah, WE can do it, but most people cannot and that is not what is expected from Domestic cars.

That's about the best explanation I've heard yet. The quote I hear most often is: "You like them cars, huh? That 3400 (sic) was the biggest piece of shit GM ever built!" And they always say 3400 and mean 3.4 DOHC, I clarify each time.

I might just get myself an L67 and have 1 big headache until the swap is done then have almost no headaches. The L67 has to be an easier engine to maintain!

Engine fires?

Ya cause there have been so many of them. (caused mostly by people not fixing shit right) Get a better argument. :rolleyes:

i dono dan i'm seriously starting to wonder about the engine fires, namely because there are 2 second gen GPs in the junkuard near me, both are "stock" cars and show no evidence of of being modified ever, one is a GTP, and the whole front end was taken by a fire. and a GP GT met a smaller, but simmilar fate.

there has to be something wrong. and as the cars are getting older it seems that they are becomeing more commonplace.

Engine fires?

Ya cause there have been so many of them. (caused mostly by people not fixing shit right) Get a better argument. :rolleyes:

It's not an argument. It was a question. See the question mark?

Engine fires?

It's not an argument. It was a question. See the question mark?

No, I did fail english...

I think the fires are cause by the injector o-rings getting old and leaking. Anyways...

There is a Regal With a Superchager in th J/y thats lit on fire... it was an old ladys car... i could tell by the stuff that was in the interior.... so no modding there....i wonder what happend :willynilly: