Where is my oil going??

Regal_GS_1989

Ok, so i have put a bit over 500 miles on my cutlass since i changed my oil, and now it appears to be at the add mark :confused:. I check it everytime after i park it, and its totally dry under the car. I thought that maybe my valve cover gasket leaked, but there has not been any smoke comming from the engine. If the O ring was leaking, i would see at least some oil on the ground after I park right? I had the airbox off this past week, and that was totally dry, and the car doesnt smoke at all out the exaust. This has me totally stumped :willynilly: Anyone else ever experiance this on a 3.4??

my sister's 3100 Cutlass used to burn a quart every 500 miles and it was sucking oil through a blown Lower Intake Manifold Gasket, yet not smoking at all out the exhaust. Apparently the combustion process was that efficient

When my oil filter was leaking due to a bad seal I found my engine cradle held a great deal of oil on the top and other side of the front of the cradle before it started to actually drip on to the ground.....tro to see if any parts of the subframe look wet....I'd pressure washer the engine bay and subframe much as possible (if your engine bay is dirty)....a clean one makes it easier to find leaks IMO. Have a friend follow you to be 100% sure you aren't burning oil too....the exhaust not having any black depoists on it doesn't mean she isn't burning oil. Who knos, could be a mix between both leaking and burning.....hopefully it's just leaking it out mysteriously..

Best of luck

Yea, i really want to steam clean the underside of the car, the engine is coated with oil. I know that the plugs were all carboned up and black when i pulled them out, so i put new ones in. Maybe i"ll pull one out and check it out later this week. Oh well, i guess i cant really complain that much about a 500$ car :lol:

That just sounds like it's burning oil to me. Your car probably just needs a full tune up, and then it should reduce the amount of oil it burns significantly or all together.

Did you replace the PCV? Honestly, I remember talking to Ben(sappyse107) about how much the 3.4 consumes oil through the PCV system, no one really knows for sure why either. I know GM issued a TSB for it and a "oil control kit" a few years back. Post on 60 to get more info.

my sister's 3100 Cutlass used to burn a quart every 500 miles and it was sucking oil through a blown Lower Intake Manifold Gasket, yet not smoking at all out the exhaust. Apparently the combustion process was that efficient

Yup, my CS was using about that much too with no smoke. Intake gaskets fixed that.

Yup, my CS was using about that much too with no smoke. Intake gaskets fixed that.

Well this wouldn't affect the 3.4 since it's intake is sealed from oil.

IIRC-The intake sucks so much oil through the PCV, that it uses to much of it.

Like I said I think there is a TSB.

I know a few times my car has run like crap b/c the PCV just needed to be replaced b/c the valve got stuck or was sticking. I can't think of where it is on the LQ1, but it's takes like 5 seconds to replace on the L82.

I don't see how there wouldn't still be oil underneath the LIM on a 3.4. there's still a fake cam down there that has bearings that need to be oiled. Its not like LIM gaskets are hard to change on a 3.4 anyway (not compared to a 3.1MPFI or a 3100)

I know a few times my car has run like crap b/c the PCV just needed to be replaced b/c the valve got stuck or was sticking. I can't think of where it is on the LQ1, but it's takes like 5 seconds to replace on the L82.

Its right on top of the plenum on the 3.4, really easy to get too.

I don't see how there wouldn't still be oil underneath the LIM on a 3.4. there's still a fake cam down there that has bearings that need to be oiled. Its not like LIM gaskets are hard to change on a 3.4 anyway (not compared to a 3.1MPFI or a 3100)

DSCF0028.JPG

See the intake just bolts to the heads and thermostat is inside of it. But undernearth is sealed. Oil runs to intermediate shaft aka the dummy cam, and then to a anti drainback valve, which is in the middle and is actually called the "oil distribution cover. [br]Posted on: May 03, 2006, 12:16:28 PM_________________________________________________http://60degreev6.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=6157&highlight=oil+consumption