speed controlled volume issues

rudefyet

Since this can apply to w-bodies too I'll post it here (until it gets moved)

I hooked up the speed controlled volume to my 97 CD player, by running a small wire from the speedometer signal to the correct pin on the back of the radio.

Now I tapped into the speedo signal right before the harness on the gauge cluster.

The scv works correctly, but I have an issue when I turn the radio off/on, or change from radio to cd etc.

What will happen is when I turn off the radio etc, the speedo will jump. Now when I'm not moving it'll just jump up to 10mph and go back down real quick, but when I'm traveling 60mph or so the speedo will jump to around 75 and contiously jump back and forth between 75 and 100 until I slow down to around 15mph, then it'll go back to normal.

Now what the hell would cause this? The vss input on the radio shouldn't be putting out any voltage to mess up my speedo.

I post here cause s-series.org takes a week to get a reply and no one on s10forum still has a factory stereo or knows what the hell SCV is :lol:

If I am tapping into a wire, I strip back the insulation, take a pick tool and make a hole of sorts in the wire, take the wire you are attaching to it, put it through the hole, and twist it around. Always makes an awesome connection.

If I am tapping into a wire, I strip back the insulation, take a pick tool and make a hole of sorts in the wire, take the wire you are attaching to it, put it through the hole, and twist it around. Always makes an awesome connection.

Thats normally how I do that. Except without the hole. Just twist it around a couple times and put some heat shrink around it, works great

Thats normally how I do that. Except without the hole. Just twist it around a couple times and put some heat shrink around it, works great

I do that too. When I first started out, I'd simply cram the wire into the back of whatever connector the wire I was using happened to be attached to. :oops: Love to be ghetto.

• 2 weeks later...