Porting the intake.

TurboGTU

I've been thinking of porting the intake(upper and lower) to net me a few lost ponies. I've heard thise intakes are unequal...didn't look like it to me unless I look at the top and not the bottom...notice how at the rear(near the firewall) it overlaps to the valve cover. Anyways...back to the original subject...what could I use to port the intake? My porting bits can't reach that far in.

It's mainly to improve air quality and density...stock ports seem to slow down the volocity of the compressed air.

I've ported the exhaust ports on the heads though. I got rid of the exhaust valve guide bump almost compleatly. They look like they were ported by a pro, and look like they could flow alot. I raised the roof of the exhaust ports a little and made the whole port a little bigger. I didn't touch the floor of the port though.

I am however leaving the intake ports on the heads alone. They look to be fine and look like they are boost friendly. The rough edges are going to be left there in the ports...they should help in fuel optimi....some thing like that... :? ...in this low rpm(1000-5000) motor.

Has anyone done this to thier TGP..On Gen. 2 heads and intake?

Thats what I was afraid of (disecting the intakes). The lower intake looks like I could port it with extensions on the porting bits, except where it curves in the center. The uper is another story. I could port from the center and at the port exits where it meets the lower intake. I guess I could use a sand blaster to try and port the rest of the inside.

Dam this sucks...I wish I had a ajustible gas mig..aluminum welding is expensive here.

If anything I guess its better than nothing.

WHoaw... the damm intakes port walls are too thin to port realy good. They can be polished up and such, but no real porting. I used a drill on a junkyard intake as my subject to see meterial thickness on the whole intake sys.(upper,lower) and it's like paper :bs: . I think I will just polish it up and see what happens.

I think by what you all mean by cutting the intake to port it is to make the port bigger by bunt welding the intake, so the welds will add like around another 1/4 to 5/15 more to the circumfurance to the port to make it bigger. I may be wrong..

I was thinking since its too thin and polishing it up will just net little for alot of work, How about I use two intakes and add more port to the intakes by cutting the flat end of the ports from the upper intake, leaving the walls, then cutting the other intake from its flat part on down to where it touches the bottom, then polish both pieces, then weld the two pieces. Then doing the same to the lower piece. I'll expand the ports where both the lower and upper intake meet. I don't know if I made sence :? but I'll see if I could clear things up by illustration. :think:

Let me know what you people think.