Still no start ...

jeremy

Does your oil guage work? There is power that runs through that and I think the ECM and controls the fuel pump

how would I know if it is working if I can't get it started?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeremy

• GutlessSupreme

• 1990lumina

• 19Cutlass94

The ECM cuts the fuel pump if there is no fuel pressure, if you are cranking on it, everything should work. Regardless of an oil pressure issue, if you jump the pump, and nothing comes out, the fuel pump isn't working.

Next time your there, try beating on the tank. You did remember to put gas back in there, right? :lol:

Next time your there, try beating on the tank. You did remember to put gas back in there, right? :lol:

Suprisingly enough I did remember that !!

my Tste did the same thing, after long pondering at the shop we decided to shange the wires and plugs.... then she started right up (just did the froont 3 first)

I was having some trouble last summer because I had oil shorting out that circuit. The sensor was covered in oil. My guages read full oil pressure 100% of the time. Probably not the situation, but he, it's a possiblity.

my Tste did the same thing, after long pondering at the shop we decided to shange the wires and plugs.... then she started right up (just did the froont 3 first)

If he's not getting any fuel to the rail, plugs and wires clearly are not the issue.

would the crank sensor have anything to do with the fuel? or the spark i think its only for spark but i didnt know about fuel? could that be it?

The underhood test connector is a direct power source to the fuel pump. If the pump isn't coming on when powering that wire, then the issue is NOT ECM or sensor related. There has to be a problem is the wiring/fuses somewhere between the battery and the pump.

The underhood test connector is a direct power source to the fuel pump. If the pump isn't coming on when powering that wire, then the issue is NOT ECM or sensor related. There has to be a problem is the wiring/fuses somewhere between the battery and the pump.

I agree with you there, but that being said ....shouldn't the car still start, even if only momentarily using starting fluid??

I agree with you there, but that being said ....shouldn't the car still start, even if only momentarily using starting fluid??

Yes.

--Dave.

Guest TurboSedan

first thing i would do is use a digital multimeter to check for power at the fuel pump, and of course use a timing light to check for spark.

good luck!

Yes x2. Trust me I have plenty of experience with starting fluid after owning my TGP...

That said, I would work on one problem at a time. You could have two isolated problems, or you could just have bad luck with the starting fluid. I'd still work on getting the pump to turn on first, and then go from there.

That said, I would work on one problem at a time. You could have two isolated problems, or you could just have bad luck with the starting fluid. I'd still work on getting the pump to turn on first, and then go from there.

I think that is going to be my plan....

im looking at the wiring diagram for the fuel pump right now, the fuel pump gets its power from the ecm circuit. this may be the cause of the no spark condition as well. soo check that fuse (fuel/ecm or ECM 20A)

as well the fuel pump relay is triggered by the oil pressure switch, check to make sure you have power at the relay.

remove the relay, using a test light check for a constant 12V with the key off on one of the terminals, the terminal beside that one should get a prime pulse when the key is turned on.

there should be a third termainal that will get power when the engine is being cranked, boost it if you have to too, get it cranking fast, gotta build up some oil pressure

I had the same issue on my 94 Cutlass and this may not apply to you so please forgive me if it doesn't, if you have the pass key system, and the wires from the ignition cylinder to the ecm are broke it won't allow the vehicle to start.

I had the same issue on my 94 Cutlass and this may not apply to you so please forgive me if it doesn't, if you have the pass key system, and the wires from the ignition cylinder to the ecm are broke it won't allow the vehicle to start.

Pass key didnt start til 94. Not trying to be an ass by any means, just letting ya know.

• 5 weeks later...

I finally went down to work on the beast again yesterday, it has been almost a month since I have even looked at her.... and I got her running, only to find that there is now a fuel leak in the line from the tank to the filter....so I got the line and dropped the tank again to replace it. Put everything back together and she roared to life.....and I mean roared !!! I should really redo the exhaust :mrgreen: ....anyway I drove it around for about 20 minutes and didn't have any problems. I am going back down to pick her up and bring her home in the next day or two.

I replaced, 2 fuel lines, 2 more lines to/from the vapor canister, the fuel pump and the fuel filter...

I finally went down to work on the beast again yesterday, it has been almost a month since I have even looked at her.... and I got her running, only to find that there is now a fuel leak in the line from the tank to the filter....so I got the line and dropped the tank again to replace it. Put everything back together and she roared to life.....and I mean roared !!! I should really redo the exhaust :mrgreen: ....anyway I drove it around for about 20 minutes and didn't have any problems. I am going back down to pick her up and bring her home in the next day or two.

I replaced, 2 fuel lines, 2 more lines to/from the vapor canister, the fuel pump and the fuel filter...

Sweet, Jeremy!! Finally got it going! Enjoy the Y99 suspension.

I am done with this car. I drove down to Jackson to drive it home and got about 4 miles from my mother's house and the car died on the hwy. It acted like it stopped getting fuel. Pulled over to the side of the road and it wouldn't start again. I had to have my mom's neighbor tow it back to her place again. I am going to either sell it or burn it. I don't want to put another dollar or another minute of my time into it. I have driven it a total of three times since Feb. and it has been nothing but a headache.

i dono jeremey, if you want i'm sure i could make it out your way soon, i work for white castle and mabie gas money