How to install a convertible top...

sunny_8

Guys,

I need to replace my top and maybe one of the cylinder things that help the top recline.

I have a 95 triple white Olds Cutty......I live in chicago...and they wanna charge 1700 for a flipping top and rear window..

I saw the post about the $3 rear weather moulding..which I need to do...but I also need to replace the front passenger window moulding....

Who got the skills and knowlege that I need ?

Let me know please...

thanks !

Good luck, I couldn't even find anyone around here to do it, and I don't think I'd ever attempt something like that, too much to mess up. however, that is a bit steep, and you could probably find someone to do it a little cheaper

• 7 months later...

bringin an old topic back! :burnout: well.. where at in chicago are you? I'm going to get my top done at Mr. Trim, Tops, and interiors.. They look like they do really good work and quoted me $1060..

I have not completed my top install on my 91 vert.

I purchased the one sold my Milos, a convertible shop in florida that sells them on E-bay. They go for $140 plus $15 shipping, if you bid and do not used the buy it now feature(assuming no one else bids).

The top is made by E-Z tops IIRC and is only the main top surface, and the only other thing included is the roll that is a seperate piece at the front of the top. It does not include a rear window. The top is Hartz quality fabric and I think it is a good deal and looks great.

I wish to write a vert top replacement write-up but so far i have not.... pending a combination of lazyness, business, never being home, and the fact that my top install is not completed.

Matt. again I'll state, if you buy the milos top in white, I'll help you install it. but your car will have to be the guinea pig for the write-up then!

those of you from chicago.. i went to riggs brothers today, and they said $1310 installed for the winter price.. summer time is $1500.. Riggs Bros. is by far the best tops, window tints, and more around chicago...

I have a shop that will hold 3 cars comfortably. Let's have a weekend thing where we all meet up with the tops and stuff and put em on. Both my cars desperately need new tops and I can't afford to have someone put on 1, let alone 2. Ken, when you get yours done lemme know how it turns out and stuff. I wana try it but I am a little scared.

Sean

I have done this before too it's not terrible but i wouldnt call it easy...

I guess my concern is that it will look good when I am done with it. Do the aftermarket tops look and fit right or can you tell they are aftermarket? I can just imagine doin it myself and having it look like ass when I am done.

-Sean

I have done this before too it's not terrible but i wouldnt call it easy...

I guess my concern is that it will look good when I am done with it. Do the aftermarket tops look and fit right or can you tell they are aftermarket? I can just imagine doin it myself and having it look like ass when I am done.

-Sean

they look great, ask DOHCRagTopGuy to chime in.

personally I would stick with the hartz top. after all, the car supposed to be good looking with the top down.