How to burnout in an automatic (safely)

wyomingste

I know there has to be a better way to burn the tires on our cars. I know that you can always take it up to the redline in neutral and then slam it into drive... well as long as you don't want a transmission (experienve talking, I was just turning 16 in a SS Elcamino.)

I noticed that the cars in the video (w-body specific in gereral) would have their back tires locked when they would spin them, I'm sure these cars were a manual transmission but is there any way to lock the tires like that in an automatic (maybe perhaps lock the back tires, power-brake to about 2500 and then let off the brake?) the only problem I see with that is how the hell are they locking the back tires?

I know that the emergency brake goes to the rear tires or does it go to all of the tires?

I know that in my car I can stop on the paint in the road (for the crosswalks) and power-brake the car and it will make a small cloud of smoke but is there a way to keep the car in the relative location of the burnout or am I just going to have to settle with the car catching up to the tires very quickly and flying away from the light?

thanks for the help anyone can offer.

Eric.

Is there any way that is safer then a neutal drop?

I would take a long rope/tow strap that is hooked to the underbody and tie it too the biggest tree I could find. That way the car won't go forward at all and you could spin the tires all you wanted.

the emergency brake does the rear tires only.... but if you have the old style pre 94 brakes, they won't hold anyhow.

That said... DON'T even think about it. You'll be wearing your trannys clutches out and risk shattering your differntial. Our tranmissions have a differential built in, and somtimes they shattered when loaded in the way a burn out is done. I barely even squeal my tires since i'm trying to go the distance with my transmission.

It does happen, sometimes, i just don't want to be the unlucky one it happens to, and neither should you.

and what you are talking about in the el camino is called a 'neutral dropping'. That is extremely damaging to your transmission.

and the same goes for punching the gas hard enough to light up the tires.

Is there any way that is safer then a neutal drop?

I would take a long rope/tow strap that is hooked to the underbody and tie it too the biggest tree I could find. That way the car won't go forward at all and you could spin the tires all you wanted.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

seriously though...these cars are old and easily breakable...hell, if I go through a pothole too quickly, it throws my alignment off...

still if you must...parking brake on, power brake till like 3000, then accelerate.

it'll fry something or the other

Go in reverse as fast as you can then throw it into neutral and rev the shit out of it then slam into drive.

not in my car you don't :shock:

if that dont blow up your tranny, nothing will.

thanks for the help lazytic. I know that something will break no matter what I do, I'm not even going to consider it til I can get the rest of my motor put together (only need to find some forged pistons and work a little more with the turbo setup, I also have a new 4t65E that i'm going to put in the car at the same time.

I know that it is not safe on our cars to burnout so I have one more question (please answer this serious this one is not a joke) With the tires spinning what is the chance of flying debree, i know about the stuff off the tires, but if the differentail gernades what are the chances of hurting a bystander or if anything gives what is the chance of flying debree?

Thanks,

Eric

bystanders? not likely. If the differential to grenades, it usally jambs and forces the gears to spread, and thus and cracks the case open. I've seen a few cars/transmission in that condition. if you are ready to replace it..........

find a solid retaining wall, touch the car to it and have at it.

Aaron wrote:

I did the drops from normally about 4500, then they would just start spinning, therefore it doesn't hurt the car in any way (except tires...lol).

For some reason I have a hard time believing this (if its an automatic) manual would be a little more understanding, I know this from experience.

....they do burnout competitions all the time and I have never heard of that happening....

Thats good to hear but I've gernade 2 differentials in the last 2 years, i know what happens when it happens in a rwd (spider gears split, side gears throw the teath, the carrier will crack in 2 and go 2 ways with force, axles break in 2 (at least on one side), and the ring gear shatters into thousand of pieces along with the pinion gear, the inside of the housing gets shredded but due to thickness it all stays inside (but the broken axle and tire with a c-clip in the differential) Its a nasty sight, probably the nastiest sound I've ever heard (worse then an engine throwing a piston out the side of a block).

Thanks for the response though,

Eric

Go in reverse as fast as you can then throw it into neutral and rev the shit out of it then slam into drive.

not in my car you don't :shock:

if that dont blow up your tranny, nothing will.

try throwing it in reverse on the highway :lol: had a friend do that once, but I can't remember which car it was.. he's killed so many... I think it was his Shadow w/ 3 speed auto. It was never quite right after that but it still worked :shock:

maybee after the friday night cruise i'll try that... not really (I've been in the ditch twice with this car, hate to see what that would do.)

I'm not planning to do this for about 4 weeks (on a friday night), there is a local race team around here (team all out), my friend is a member so I cruise with them from time to time, but no one seems to believe that my car can smoke the tires with the current motor. I'm thinking that I'll install the nitrous off my new motor (just mount it on the throdle body) and have some fun (I have a truck with a trailer lined up so if anything blows-up i can get home and start to pull it apart).

I'm just going out to autoroad (about 4 miles out of town, local drag stripish (not legal but never enforced (its an abandoned road with no traffic) so go out there put a few more imports in their place then try to blow the trans or motor depending on safety. If the motor throws a part will it go through the firewall or does the firewall have some type of enforcement out of the factory?

Thanks,

Eric