The TSTE rebuild topic (56k get cable)

GutlessSupreme

Here's some pictures of the fittings i used I got everything at an Ace hardware. Lowe's didn't go small enough, don't know about home depot. Oh yea you will need a little 1/8 copper tubing. :wink:

http://www.parker.com/BRASSPROD/DIGITAL%20ASSETS/COMPRESS.JPG Tee, Rt angel

http://www.doityourself.com/icat/brassbushing 1/4 to 1/8 bushing.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1273447&cp=1254880.1254999.1306321&page=3&doVSearch=no&clickid=lefttnav_catlinks_txt&pageBucket=0&parentPage=family&searchId=1306321

Compression ring that come in each end of the fittings. You don't have to buy the seperatly.

Good luck on you project.

Jud

• 1 month later...

any progress Tony?

none whatsoever, lol. I may say fuck it and go pick up the heads and flywheel tomorrow from the machine shop and just throw it on my credit card. Then I'll actually be able to finish putting the motor together at least.. can't wait. I still have a lot of work I need to do before it'll make it in the car though, not to mention I just donated a new ball joint and both inner tie rods + ends to the Cutlass so I need to buy those again. uugh I wish I would've chose to rebuild a car that will at least have some resale value someday.

So I called the machine shop.. They accept Mastercard, Visa, American Express, etc etc etc...

...but not Discover.

blah.

So I played a few tricks and was able to kill two birds with one stone.. I won't go into detail but let's just say I spent a lot of money on this car today :lol:

I picked them up today, heads are sitting on top of the block w/ LS2 springs installed and look great :D gonna clean the exterior of them a little more quick and hit them with some silver spray paint. Have to spend a few mins getting the cylinders clean but then I'll be ready to bolt them down :cool:

What should I use for flywheel bolts? Probably need some a bit longer than the ones used for the flex plate...

I still need a lot of stuff...

A/C o-ring kit

Fuel line + injector o-ring kits

control arms

reseal the subframe for good

engine bay needs a few coats of rattle can clear

few other small parts need paint (hood latch, brackets etc)

reman. 5 speed ABS axles (have cores)

shifter bracket

intermediate shaft bracket

tranny mount

clutch switch

hydraulic fluid

turbo/tranny mount

SS brake lines

tie rods

1 ball joint

Spec 3 clutch kit

repair/repaint heater core return pipe

assemble motor top end

spark plugs

windshield

think that's mostly it. It's really not that much but I probably won't have the money for a while..

When you get a turbo/trans mounting bracket made, have them make 2 and send me one.

Well, if you actually could, let me know, I'll need one next year when my TSTE goes under the 5 speed knife.

When you get a turbo/trans mounting bracket made, have them make 2 and send me one.

Well, if you actually could, let me know, I'll need one next year when my TSTE goes under the 5 speed knife.

I'll do what I can ;)

So i'm looking deeper into the lobe oiler setup and I found these...

http://www.alemite.com/catalog/details.aspx?identifier=autolube_oilmist_fittings

particularly # 383588-2 for just hitting lobes 9 and 10...

thoughts?

*bump* for the oiler question? need to know soon, can't put my top end on til that's all rigged up..

bunch of new pics tomorrow...

DSCN0300%20(Small).JPG

DSCN0303%20(Small).JPG

DSCN0304%20(Small).JPG

DSCN0275%20(Small).JPG

DSCN0277%20(Small).JPG

just mock up for now.. still need some kind of mister to put on the end of the oiler before I can really put the top end back together...

DSCN0282%20(Small).JPG

DSCN0286%20(Small).JPG

my rebuilt heads with LS2 springs

DSCN0270%20(Small).JPG

DSCN0251%20(Small).JPG

my mild exhaust port work... still need to smooth it out some. overall diameter increase I think was a little over 1/8", I really tried to do what I could reach on those valve hole castings though..

DSCN0267%20(Small).JPG

DSCN0268%20(Small).JPG

DSCN0269%20(Small).JPG

I plan on doing a little intake work as well.

and of course, my resurfaced flywheel :cool:

DSCN0299%20(Small).JPG

Sweet, where did you get the flywheel? Weren't you doing a 5 swpeed swap?

Indeed, that's what the flywheel's for :lol: I bought it used off Dave (Invision1) a few months back. It's just the stocker, and it's no lightweight. Maybe someday in the future I'll get a lighter Fidanza aluminum flywheel but I just couldn't justify the extra cost right now.

Guest TurboSedan

awesome Tony! seeing these pics makes me miss doing some of the same stuff i did when i turbocharged my LH0. although the stuff i did wasn't nearly as involved of course. i'm really hoping to start in on my 3400 engine soon, but i have a ton of parts to buy and more research before it's time to start wrenching. it will be a much more expensive/involved project than the LH0/LG5 hybrid i did for the Cutlass.

one question, do you have any clearance issues between the LIM and the oiler tube? it just looks like it sticks up a bit far.

When I was putting it together (after wasting like 2 hours trying to bend a good pipe) I was suddenly like "oh shit, I hope this'll clear the LIM" :lol: it fit's perfectly though.

DSCN0293%20(Small).JPG

DSCN0294%20(Small).JPG

God I hope it's sooner than spring...I hope to say January at the latest, but I hope sooner than then...

I still have a decent amount of labor to do, but it's mostly high-cost parts from here on out.. the clutch is really gonna kill me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

After not really doing anything on it for a while I finally got some work done in the past weeks or so :) for a while all I had been doing was head porting (intakes and exhaust manifolds still need work). But I finally started going through wiring and other misc. stuff getting it Getrag ready.. doing it all the right way.

I'm stripping out everything left from the auto. A lot of the position switch wiring was reused for other wiring for the Getrag, original connectors and leftover wires are gone. Almost done removing the TCC plug. All that's left to wire is the clutch switch and cruise cutout. I even wired the upshift light, cause I think it's cool :lol: Took out the auto cables today, including the interlock cable for the IGN. Drilled out the holes in the firewall and ran the shifter cables through :) I'm trying to run some other wiring neatly through the C100 firewall connector for things like manual fan switches and stuff, and I kinda want to prep some wires I'd need for a remote starter in the future.

I ordered a resealing kit and orifice tube for the A/C system, just need to make sure everything is flushed out GOOD before I reconnect it. Bought a new map sensor plug cause the old one was trashed and a new lower motor mount because I had to donate one to the Cutlass. Installed new hood cable that was leftover from the TGP, just gotta try and pull the damn bushing snugly into the firewall.

I had some rot on my subframe but I brought it to a local shop that specializes in rust and stuff and they patched it right up beautifully. never took any before pics of the bad spots, and haven't taken any new pics of the fixing yet but I'll work on those.

my head porting pics:

Intake ports show 1 of the STE's head's, before and after (I haven't finished polishing the other one yet)

headintakeports.jpg

I really didn't have any good before pics for the exhaust. Shown are both my STE heads and 1 of the TGP's heads for vague comparison.

headexhaustports.jpg

I know it's all horrifically uneven throughout the ports but I don't think I did half bad for my first real port work :)

• 1 month later...