The TSTE rebuild topic (56k get cable)

GutlessSupreme

Long unorganized jumble of pics to follow, now:

'90 3.1 starter vs. '05 3400 starter :shock:

x

Sad state of my timing affairs (chain could've gone farther if the guide plate wasn't in the way :shock: I guess that's about right for 156k though.

x

The reason why I started tearing this bitch down in the first place- the stock camshaft - Lobe 10 is GONE.

x

x

moving a little slow but it's getting there

x

and as previously posted... 8)

new Melling timing set...

x

New Crane H260 cam (bottom)

x

more pics as I go. I have some other new parts in the trunk that I wanted to get pics of but I was too lazy to go get the keys.

Sorry I know I ask people this alot...but that later model starter is a direct bolt on? I see you said an 05 3400 starter...what cars had those? :oops: 8)

Supposedly. hope so :lol:

and that one came off an Impala.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8033044445&category=33576

And you went to a cam that isn't the stock one....good choice. You won't be disappointed.

Bet ya a hundred bucks something goes wrong it either the motor or the car (or transmission) are totaled within a month of being put back together. you know how it is ;) but yes, in the meantime, I shouldn't be disappointed 8)

Have you weighed the gear reduction starter vs. the stock one? Curious to see what the weight difference is.

not yet, but I plan on it. I was reading through old posts and someone said they weighed in at 10 lbs in difference, which I really don't doubt.

# 10 lobe, what else is new. :cry:

Matt put an oiler on it. Hardest part is getting the plug out of the gallery.

If you want some help let me know.

Jud

tell me about it :cry: I plan on doing the same oiler setup he had going, though I might expand upon it to cover more lobes. and I'll let you know, for sure :? offhand, happen to know the threading specs for the plug so I can find a compression fitting that fits the block?

• 2 weeks later...

yay

more new parts

GM 25172680 heated O2 sensor

this project is moving so slowly...

anybody happen to have the male side of that O2 sensor plug laying around? just the plug, and a few inches of wire...

anybody happen to have the male side of that O2 sensor plug laying around? just the plug, and a few inches of wire...

Does it have "guides" inside the plug on them? If not, how close is a MAP sensor plug?

Either way, We probably do, I would have to go verify though, oh oh, we not only have a couple "inches" of wire, but several several FEET of wire.....damn Haltech wiring, we could probably wire like 5 cars :lol:

I just went outside and checked.

It looks like physically, the MAP sensor plug WOULD fit, except:

the actual metal prongs are male/male on both the MAP plug and the O2 sensor. One won't fit into the other. The plastic connector itself looks like it would fit perfect though.

Guest TurboSedan

you can probably get the plug from NAPA. i bought a new MAP sensor plug from NAPA. otherwise, i would just go to the j/y and chop one off of a GM car with 3-wire O2 sensor. good luck.

if all else fails, I used posi-lock butt conectors. the blue ones. they are the next best thing because you can unscrew them to disconnect the O2. :wink: It's a lot better than clipping the crimps off everytime you have to remove the charge pipe. :bash:

you can probably get the plug from NAPA. i bought a new MAP sensor plug from NAPA. otherwise, i would just go to the j/y and chop one off of a GM car with 3-wire O2 sensor. good luck.

I'll have to go check them out.. I didn't think any place really carried just plugs.. thanks man

if all else fails, I used posi-lock butt conectors. the blue ones. they are the next best thing because you can unscrew them to disconnect the O2. :wink: It's a lot better than clipping the crimps off everytime you have to remove the charge pipe. :bash:

I'm wiring this in with all factory connectors... I'll have the 3 wire O2 plug have one wire go off to a plug that connects to the factory O2 plug. I'm not hacking the sensor's or the factory wiring. I was going to do something similar anyway to run the wire for my A/F gauge.

good luck finding one though. I ran through the yard down the road and there was nothing that would work. you would probably have to find a newer car with that exact O2 sensor. my guess is '97 or newer.

did you ever check at NAPA? I never got around to that. but I heard to check there too.

No, haven't gotten a chance to check NAPA yet.

updates:

Pulled the rear head

[ x ]

and more new parts!

coolant pipe that goes to the LIM (I twisted the original in half trying to remove it). It doesn't have the screw-on connector for some reason, but that's fine with me. I don't plan on reusing it. I'll keep the piece that screws into the LIM itself and just run a short hose to join that and the pipe.

[ x ]

DOHC windage tray (supposed to fit perfectly, I just need the main studs from the DOHC to install it.)

[ x ]

A man, should have run the coolant line your own way and not right in front of the valve cover its SO much nicer. :wink: The Vacuum lines are okay if you must have plastic ones, I think having rubber ones run how you like are much better. The PCV you should have just plugged the port on the bottom of the manifold and drill/taped the side, it makes your life so much easier when installing and removing the thing.

However, its coming a long nicely :)

Oh, another idea if you can't find the O2 sensor plug, just solder some wires to prongs on the plug and use black silicone to cover it up, then just run the wires under some nice heat wrap and under the intake pipe.

Keep up the good work though, pictures are good though, we need lots of those too :P